• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be interested to hear how you like this. My 20 yo box is on life support and eventually I'll have to replace it.
Had a friend that used Inno for his vehicles and really liked it. Though he used it more for camping than skis. It is the one box I have been interested in myself.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll be interested to hear how you like this. My 20 yo box is on life support and eventually I'll have to replace it.
Will try to remember! I grabbed this one on the super scientific reasoning that my base rack is Inno and I like consistent branding, and it wasn’t comically long for the price compared to the Mini.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a friend that used Inno for his vehicles and really liked it. Though he used it more for camping than skis. It is the one box I have been interested in myself.

Will try to remember! I grabbed this one on the super scientific reasoning that my base rack is Inno and I like consistent branding, and it wasn’t comically long for the price compared to the Mini.
The first litmus test for me is, "Can you latch and unlatch the lid WITHOUT the key?" I take a lot of short and/or non-risky outings and cannot abide having to dig out a key - with the attendant lock icing issues - just to open and close the box. Friends have Thule boxes that require this absurd dance.

Reactions: tch

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I just picked up a slightly used 2018 K2 Pinnacle 95 TI with Marker Griffon Demo binding for € 285 including shipping. Great rock ski or for friends to use.

1669218915402.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The first litmus test for me is, "Can you latch and unlatch the lid WITHOUT the key?" I take a lot of short and/or non-risky outings and cannot abide having to dig out a key - with the attendant lock icing issues - just to open and close the box. Friends have Thule boxes that require this absurd dance.
You can't just leave those Thule boxes unlocked?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

If it's the box(es) I'm thinking of, then no. Not without modification and front and rear clamps.

The lock actuates the locking rod to engage at three separate points on the lid; on a factory spec box there is nothing else to keep the lid from flying open.

Honestly, for @Tony S use case, spending money on a Thule and modding it for unlocked lid security on the road is absurd.

Just lash a ski bag to the bars - and toss it in the back whilst skiing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If unlocking a box is too much inconvenience, this is a non-starter too.

Read it again. Unlocking a box with a frozen lock is too much inconvenience.

Compared to that 20 minute to 2 hour battle, unlashing frozen bungees, kayak straps or accessory lines is a one-two minute dream.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Read it again. Unlocking a box with a frozen lock is too much inconvenience.

Compared to that 20 minute to 2 hour battle, unlashing frozen bungees, kayak straps or accessory lines is a one-two minute dream.
Eh... I read it as frozen locks was just an extra factor, but digging out a key was inconvenience enough by itself.

Either way, apparently the makers think the convenience of it always locking - to prevent accidentally leaving it unlocked - supersedes the convenience of being albe to leave it unlocked.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Eh... I read it as frozen locks was just an extra factor, but digging out a key was inconvenience enough by itself.
Exactly.

Either way, apparently the makers think the convenience of it always locking - to prevent accidentally leaving it unlocked - supersedes the convenience of being albe to leave it unlocked.
They do, and they are living in a different universe from mine.

The folks who designed my ancient Yakima box were more my people, I guess.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They do, and they are living in a different universe from mine.

Yurp? Maybe so. I mean it's not like Euros traveling to the US get warned about pickpockets. :)

The folks who designed my ancient Yakima box were more my people, I guess.

Ya know, I'd bet there are >5 boatbuilders near you who could lapstitch a Yak-like box for you out of 3mm marine plywood. In 3 days or less, depending on epoxy cure time.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

No. You cant even take out the key if the box is not locked. So far I have never had a problem with frozen lock, but sure AF I know that’s coming some day.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
EF342825-BDC1-44BC-ABEE-17680748BD02.jpeg

Twice in one week?? :eek: Finally found an insulated jacket to add to the collection.

Pros:
  • Pink like my shell so I can stay on-brand
  • Warm enough with room for puffy layers and fleece layer together to fortify me in my old age
  • Under $100
Cons:
  • Feel like I tried on every men’s XS and S in the world to find a jacket that didn’t fit like a trash bag
  • Ended up with a youth XL
  • I wish I could say it was on the first try but there were 3 kids’ jackets you could fit two of me in

Sponsor

Staff online