• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The itch is getting bad...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The rule in dermatology is if it’s dry, make it wet(cream) and if it’s wet, make it dry(powder) and put steroids on everything:ogbiggrin:
My mother has shingles. They diagnosed it as a rash and gave her cream and steroids. :roflmao: on second review they did actually figure out that it was shingles and now has anti-virals.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you've got the time and the access is already paid for why the hell not go?? How far are you from Ski Apache?
Time is the issue, I only got so many days, want to save them for Feb/March. Last year I was able to ski 19 days, hope to bump that up a few more days this season. I just now looked at Ski Apache, l need to ski there. It is about 9 and half hour drive, TSV is about 10 and half...

I'm just really excited about the upcoming season, I'm 10 lbs lighter than last season, lighter than I have been in 30 years, I'm down to my old skibum weight. Over the last few years, I have lost over 40 lbs, that is what really motivated my to get back into skiing in 2020, after a 20 year layoff. And my last ski trip I start to put it together in the bumps thanks to @KingGrump. :beercheer:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Loveland and maybe A-Basin will open mid October.

Allegedly only 3 weeks to go for snow making :yeah:

1662656933922.png

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
Time is the issue, I only got so many days, want to save them for Feb/March. Last year I was able to ski 19 days, hope to bump that up a few more days this season. I just now looked at Ski Apache, l need to ski there. It is about 9 and half hour drive, TSV is about 10 and half...

I'm just really excited about the upcoming season, I'm 10 lbs lighter than last season, lighter than I have been in 30 years, I'm down to my old skibum weight. Over the last few years, I have lost over 40 lbs, that is what really motivated my to get back into skiing in 2020, after a 20 year layoff. And my last ski trip I start to put it together in the bumps thanks to @KingGrump. :beercheer:
If Taos is only an hour further for you than Apache, I'd skip it and just hit Taos. If you just want to check out a different ski area, I'd first try Ski Santa Fe, which would presumably be the same travel time for you as Apache.

I've skied Apache a few times. It's a decent mountain if the snow is good, but that is a big if in recent years. It is worth checking out if you are in the area or it is on your way somewhere. But I wouldn't recommend you go too far out of your way for it unless they randomly get hit by one of those massive cutoff lows that can drop three feet on them. And in that case, make sure you have snow tires and chains for that insane road.

EDIT:
I have heard that Apache has a pretty good adaptive ski program, so if that is a consideration, it definitely moves it up a fair bit as a possible "destination".

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^This. It was Sierra Blanca last time I was there. My avatar photo was taken there. But it's deceiving. There really isn't anything there on the map anyone would call challenging or difficult. Went there on a college break with several intermediate skier friends. We were able to stay together pretty much the whole time. But, if you've never been there it can be fun.. big open bowl if you get lucky with a storm.

Reactions: Tex
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a really good dream last night sking bumps, figured out a few things. I even caught some air! :daffy:

Reactions: mdf

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

Hit me up if you come to Telluride or Durango.

Reactions: Tex

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I was almost thinking of posting a poll to see what the stoke is like.

In speaking with a number of instructor colleagues, everyone seems to be lukewarm. No one is ready to give up summer. Personally, I could use another 3 months of summer.

It feels like COVID, and the shit that everyone had to put up with as employees, has tarnished the coming season.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I was almost thinking of posting a poll to see what the stoke is like.

In speaking with a number of instructor colleagues, everyone seems to be lukewarm. No one is ready to give up summer. Personally, I could use another 3 months of summer.

It feels like COVID, and the shit that everyone had to put up with as employees, has tarnished the coming season.
If only you knew…Actually it sounds like you do…everything from training to personnel issues just became harder the last couple years. I have mixed feelings about the upcoming season on the one hand I’m hoping to refocus on training and on creating positive staff morale and on the other I’m debating about not inviting back some of our “Debbie Downers” (male & female) that just make everyone in the Locker Room miserable, (but I might need them…sigh) you know the “Karen” that wants to file an HR complaint because someone wasn’t wearing their mask right…or wanted to question a potential guest on their Vax status… I could go on but I’m already ranting. The biggest thing which is a good problem if you’re trying to make money, is that I expect more requests for lessons than I can accommodate. AND TO BE CLEAR it’s not what we pay, we are quite competitive, it’s just the shortages every aspect of the hospitality industry is facing. Whew that was a mouthful lol… that aside I’m already back to work and for me the season is more than under way. I think a few more weeks maybe months of summer would have been ok…Anyway it’s snowing on the mountain, as I type this, I just got sent a new set of skis and my new boots are all dialed in by my trusted boot fitter. I have a fire going and I will shortly be on snow for what will be the first of a hundred or more days, I should be happy about all that I suppose.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online