• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The loss of a good friend, Stephen "Skiing-in-Jackson" McDonald

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
...it often seems that justice is too lenient when it comes to cycling deaths.
Maybe because we are so close to it, it sure feels that way sometimes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As noted in an article about laws protecting cyclists,
Bicyclists are protected by a variety of laws, but unfortunately, as this case illustrates, they can still be injured or killed while on the road. In 2018, approximately 800 bicyclists were killed in the U.S. in accidents with motor vehicles.

The amount of articles about this accident is crazy.
This one from News Break says that both the cycle and car were southbound, while most other stories say northbound.
If sunlight in the eyes isn't a factor, then I don't think the direction really matters. :(
Here is a screenshot
Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 11.34.03 AM.png
Another article I found wasn't much of an article but it had a snip from the police report, which also says southbound.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
All anyone needs to do is pay attention to the ghost bike tributes to the killed cyclists all over town to grasp the level of danger road biking now brings. I don't know if it is any more or less dangerous statistically, but it seems that texting and driving must be be causing some of these senseless tragedies.

I haven't taken a pedal bike on city streets in at least 5 years. I'm only comfortable on the motor scooter on roads where the top speed of 45MPH is sufficient to keep up with most cars.. Try to keep it only on roads where the speed limit is no more than 35 MPH. My fear of getting hit from behind/blindsided is the reason there...

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Anyone know which of his kids is in the helmet next to him?
1000x1000px-ll-39939d75_copyofdscn6405-jpg.107447

Pretty sure that's Liberty.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If anyone hears of a fundraiser, please post it here.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been following the thread on TGR about Stephen's death, trying to keep track of any kind of fundraiser or memorial plans.

One of the Mags reached out to Christy and reported back on how the accident happened:
He was riding his bike to Illinois, was in Iowa at the time and got an early start.
The driver of the car is a single mom who was moving from one residence to another. She had been packing late the night before and was tired when she was driving between places in the morning. She dozed off and went off the road,to the right, then came to. She overcorrected and veered back left; Over the center line and into Stephen who was pedaling down the opposite lane coming head on.
It was sudden and over immediately, as I understand it. No pain or suffering on his part so far as Christy knows.

The police/coroner's reports are supposed to be available shortly.
Christy expressed that it was an accident.

Christy is running the bike shop now, in the HostelX and is thinking about keeping the ski shop open this winter with the kids.

Last edited:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I've been following the thread on TGR about Stephen's death, trying to keep track of any kind of fundraiser or memorial plans.

One of the Mags reached out to Christy and reported back on how the accident happened:
He was riding his bike to Illinois, was in Iowa at the time and got an early start.
The driver of the car is a single mom who was moving from one residence to another. She had been packing late the night before and was tired when she was driving between places in the morning. She dozed off and went off the road,to the right, then came to. She overcorrected and veered back left; Over the center line and into Stephen who was pedaling down the opposite lane coming head on.
It was sudden and over immediately, as I understand it. No pain or suffering on his part so far as Christy knows.

The police/coroner's reports are supposed to be available shortly.
Christy expressed that it was an accident.

Christy is running the bike shop now, in the HostelX and is thinking about keeping the ski shop open this winter with the kids.
My heart breaks not just for Stephen’s family but for the driver. She will have to live with this forever. So much tragedy.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Late seeing this. Crap.

James

Out There
Instructor
Awful, really great person.
He has a short ebook/paperback on bootfitting.

42ECF0D7-962F-4E28-8C52-12AF8BC96C42.jpeg

“Dedicated to my wife Christy who lets me play every day.”
https://a.co/7lhbOyi

Sponsor