• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have many different types of thread lock products.
VC-3 is for if you have to take it apart again. Locktite red is more certain.
I feel Vibratite VC-3 works better on parts that move like cuff screws as it works like a nyock nut.
but I avoid red Loctite as at some point most things need to come apart.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel Vibratite VC-3 works better on parts that move like cuff screws as it works like a nyock nut.
but I avoid red Loctite as at some point most things need to come apart.

Perhaps working on boots for others. Don't do that often.
My boots are pretty locked in. Judicious application of a small amount of heat will make the red Locktite more user friendly.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, you don't get people inserting 2-smaller Allen wrenches in and totally rounding over the tips?

Surprisingly, not nearly as often.

Could just be a statistical phenomally. ;)

n = not enough

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone know where do I buy replacement removable tongues for the liners? Mine are now HV, they feel superb but that does not stop me from wanting to try the MV too :ogbiggrin: Tongues however are nowhere to be found...

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Does anyone know where do I buy replacement removable tongues for the liners? Mine are now HV, they feel superb but that does not stop me from wanting to try the MV too :ogbiggrin: Tongues however are nowhere to be found...
Retailers rarely stock all of the spare/aftermarket parts. You'll most likely need to discuss ordering one with your retailer.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
I understand this is the boot thread... and this may need to be moved:

Hi @onenerdykid - I have a question about the Backland helmets - I was able to try on a backland UL CTD yesterday. The shape of the backland is a bit different than traditional helmets - I felt it was fuller in the back. Is there any 'more technical' information (other than the Atomic website) you can point me to regarding the shape of the helmet?

I do appreciate Atomic listing the weight of their helmets on their website.

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
The new Backland helmet checks all the boxes to certify it for Mountaineering, skiing, and for those who ride their bicycles to the hill. The SkiMo competitions in Europe require mountaineering helmets for the up portion, and ski helmet for the down portion. The biking part was something that wasn't hard to add.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
. The shape of the backland is a bit different than traditional helmets - I felt it was fuller in the back. Is there any 'more technical' information (other than the Atomic website) you can point me to regarding the shape of the helmet

• 360 degree Fit System and Live Fit memory foam ensure highly comfortable adjustment for the funky-headed among us.
You must not be funky-headed.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you @Betaracer for the info-
I appreciate that its is triple certified, and certainly understand its intended as more of a back country helmet. That being said, I was curious as to the design -
The Backland has a very distinct pronounced back to the helmet - and it seems to sit higher than other helmets. I had I tried on the CTD and it may have a bit extra in it for the signaling device but it definitely sat a bit different on my head than a normal helmet. More curious about the extended design and if there was a specific reason for the shape.
1666063172648.png
t

You must not be funky-headed.
Well, I don't think so? trending more oval than round, I've worn Smith and Giro is my current snow helmet, Bontrager for the bike.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That being said, I was curious as to the design -
The Backland has a very distinct pronounced back to the helmet - and it seems to sit higher than other helmets. I had I tried on the CTD and it may have a bit extra in it for the signaling device but it definitely sat a bit different on my head than a normal helmet. More curious about the extended design and if there was a specific reason for the shape.

All those elements are ones I see in other foam (as opposed to harness + hard shell) climbing helmets. Rocks falling from overhead require a bit different energy absorption than cycling or skiing falls.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I appreciate that its is triple certified, and certainly understand its intended as more of a back country helmet. That being said, I was curious as to the design -
View attachment 180765 t

Well, I don't think so? trending more oval than round, I've worn Smith and Giro is my current snow helmet, Bontrager for the bike.
I'm the boot guy :)

I can only guess what their reasoning was, but I assume it would have to do with the types of certification the helmet has.

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
View attachment 180765 t

Look at most bicycle helmets. Most have the thickening at the back.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, in case someone wonders how the boots look like with the new dual component lifters fitted, here they are:

tempImageWFZCAq.png
tempImageZpzF2S.png

No idea how good/bad the grip will be but for sure it will be better than the plastic soles.
I really hope it works, will save me tons and tons of headache.

Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Big, noticeable improvement over the standard 5mm lifter in terms of grip and traction (especially in a slippery alm/lodge during lunch :roflmao: )

I used to walk through 2 sets of Head Vibram lifters per season and this lasted me all last year and I will probably get through most of this season on the same one.

I think you'll be pretty impressed with them.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Big, noticeable improvement over the standard 5mm lifter in terms of grip and traction (especially in a slippery alm/lodge during lunch :roflmao: )

I used to walk through 2 sets of Head Vibram lifters per season and this lasted me all last year and I will probably get through most of this season on the same one.

I think you'll be pretty impressed with them.

I surely hope so. Bought a spare set of lifters of course-just to be on the safe side and depending on how it goes will probably buy 3rd and 4th.:ogbiggrin:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am sure the info is in a previous thread, but what are you showing? Which boot? and is this a Grip Walk replacement slole or do you screw this to the bottom of your boot (CS?) and then mill down the tops of the toe and heel to get it back into DIN spec. I do realize you are saying "lifter" but I am not sure how a lifter works.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I am sure the info is in a previous thread, but what are you showing? Which boot? and is this a Grip Walk replacement slole or do you screw this to the bottom of your boot (CS?) and then mill down the tops of the toe and heel to get it back into DIN spec. I do realize you are saying "lifter" but I am not sure how a lifter works.
A lifter is a replaceable sole that is added to the bottom of an existing ISO 5355 sole, therefore requiring the toes & heels of the boot to be routered back to 5355 dimensions.

Sponsor