• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
Are they gonna fit other Atomic boots? My wife is in Hawx Ultra GW and I’d really like to make her life on the slopes a bit better. Strategic thinking you see… :ogbiggrin:
Doesn't she have heated socks or something?!
:ogbiggrin:

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Are they gonna fit other Atomic boots? My wife is in Hawx Ultra GW and I’d really like to make her life on the slopes a bit better. Strategic thinking you see… :ogbiggrin:
The Boot Blankets only fit Redster (maybe some other brand's race boots) because they attach to the sides & back of the toe portion of the sole. Hawx toes are too short for it to work correctly.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I ordered some last year for my Hawks. Haven't gone to the store to pick them up. If they ordered like they said they would. I have the Hawks, so they might not work? I'll figure something out. :)

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid, is this information true for the Ti ans STi - that the sole has 1° of canting built-in?

Was searching for something here in the thread and just saw my post from 31st December last year :roflmao:
Better later than never :D
That is correct - both TI & STI have 1.0° (out) of sole canting built into the mold. It's a hold over from the early 2000s when that was "standard" and racers used it out of the box that way. (Many race boots have 0.5° out still).

Today our racers get their sole canting needs checked and the boot adjusted to their needs & preferences.

Boolini

Booting up
Skier
Hi Everyone, I figured I would create a thread where you can drop any questions you may have about Atomic alpine and I will do my best to address them.

I hope you find it helpful and look forward to helping out!

View attachment 122615 Thank You Matt. I heard you mention you like free skiing on the Atomic G9 RS recently. At what speed do the G9 RS skis start working? Do they only come alive after 30 mph? Are they dead, heavy and unresponsive at 15-25 mph? Are they a good choice for free skiing mainly on groomers? If you could elaborate with some detail on the performance characteristics and suitability of the G9 RS ski outside the gates, I would appreciate it. I like to free ski GS turns on steep groomers at 30 mph+ and I'm trying to decide between the G9 RS 183 cm ski with a turning radius of 24 m vs the G9 RS 176 cm ski with a turning radius of 21 m vs the G9 S 182 cm ski with a turning radius of 19 m. I grew up racing on 207 cm Rossignol & Dynastar GS skis back in the day and currently have a pair of Atomic S9 FIS 165's and a pair of Dynastar Speed master GS in 180 cm with a turning radius of 21 m. Thanks for everything you do in all these forums, it's always so interesting, helpful and informative.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I honestly don’t prefer free skiing on the G9 RS 183, it’s a lot of ski for that. Too demanding and you need a lot of space (no people in your way). I much prefer the X9 RS. Much more enjoyable ski.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How is the X9S RS and can the 175 handle a Clyde or is the 183 better for a large person. I am on a Rossi SL in 175 and it's a good length for me but gets very nervous at high cruising speeds. Nice quick ski at more moderate speeds. Great for small hills, but to low a speed limit for big mtns. I have a 193 FIS GS ski and it's too much for crowded slopes. I like it but it needs speed and room. I like the sound and spec's of the X9S

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
How is the X9S RS and can the 175 handle a Clyde or is the 183 better for a large person. I am on a Rossi SL in 175 and it's a good length for me but gets very nervous at high cruising speeds. Nice quick ski at more moderate speeds. Great for small hills, but to low a speed limit for big mtns. I have a 193 FIS GS ski and it's too much for crowded slopes. I like it but it needs speed and room. I like the sound and spec's of the X9S
X9 S and X9 RS are the same ski and they are built with the same lay up as the FIS skis but with a more appropriate/fun radius. X9 S comes with the standard system interface & X-12 binding while the X9 RS comes with the world cup binding plate and X-16 binding. The plate & binding on the RS version take a great ski and turn it into something superhuman. 10/10 can't recommend it enough. I think you'd prefer the 183cm.

Boolini

Booting up
Skier
I honestly don’t prefer free skiing on the G9 RS 183, it’s a lot of ski for that. Too demanding and you need a lot of space (no people in your way). I much prefer the X9 RS. Much more enjoyable ski.
Thank You Matt. I don't think the X9 RS is available in the United States. No shops here have it as far as I can see. I don't even see it listed on the Atomic Website as an option. Is that something that's only available in Europe? Does the G9 RS become more enjoyable for free skiing if you downsize to the 176 cm model with a 21 m radius instead of the 183 with a 24 m radius? I currently have a Dynastar Speed Master GS in 180 cm with a 21 m radius, which I like. We have a lot of wide open groomed slopes out here in the Western U.S., where you can really open up longer radius skis on a regular basis, especially during mid week when the slopes are often quite empty. In the spring, we often get pure boiler plate ice surfaces every morning for half the day due to the warm daytime temps and nightly freeze cycle. So I want something with the best edge grip able to handle those super slick conditions. Which ski would you recommend between the G9 RS Revo in 176 cm or the G9 S Revo in 182 cm. And how would you describe the practical difference between those two different model skis? Will the RS have better edge grip and control on ice?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Thank You Matt. I don't think the X9 RS is available in the United States. No shops here have it as far as I can see. I don't even see it listed on the Atomic Website as an option. Is that something that's only available in Europe? Does the G9 RS become more enjoyable for free skiing if you downsize to the 176 cm model with a 21 m radius instead of the 183 with a 24 m radius? I currently have a Dynastar Speed Master GS in 180 cm with a 21 m radius, which I like. We have a lot of wide open groomed slopes out here in the Western U.S., where you can really open up longer radius skis on a regular basis, especially during mid week when the slopes are often quite empty. In the spring, we often get pure boiler plate ice surfaces every morning for half the day due to the warm daytime temps and nightly freeze cycle. So I want something with the best edge grip able to handle those super slick conditions. Which ski would you recommend between the G9 RS Revo in 176 cm or the G9 S Revo in 182 cm. And how would you describe the practical difference between those two different model skis? Will the RS have better edge grip and control on ice?
Unfortunately, here is where I am a bit out of my field of expertise but I will try to help. Our ski names can get a little confusing, so just to clarify- G9 S doesn't exist but a G9 RS Revoshock, G9 R Revoshock S (at least in Europe) and a G9 Revoshock S does. Revoshocks themselves come in three flavors: Revoshock (the beefiest version found on FIS skis), Revoshock S (standard steel version on commercial skis), Revoshock C (carbon version on mid-level skis). While I haven't skied on the G9 RS in the 176, I have skied the regular G9. The G9 RS is built exactly like the FIS skis used on the World Cup, it's a lot of ski no matter what length you ski it in. The regular G9 is a big step down from it- it's a fun carving ski, good at speed but it isn't equivalent to the master's skis you are used to. I would think that G9 RS in 176 is more equivalent to your Dynastar.

Another ski to potentially look at is the junior version, the G9 FIS Revoshock S in a 180cm (24m). It uses the same plate & binding as the G9 RS, but a construction layup that isn't quite as substantial yet is beefier than the regular G9. I'm a big fan of this ski as well.

Boolini

Booting up
Skier
Unfortunately, here is where I am a bit out of my field of expertise but I will try to help. Our ski names can get a little confusing, so just to clarify- G9 S doesn't exist but a G9 RS Revoshock, G9 R Revoshock S (at least in Europe) and a G9 Revoshock S does. Revoshocks themselves come in three flavors: Revoshock (the beefiest version found on FIS skis), Revoshock S (standard steel version on commercial skis), Revoshock C (carbon version on mid-level skis). While I haven't skied on the G9 RS in the 176, I have skied the regular G9. The G9 RS is built exactly like the FIS skis used on the World Cup, it's a lot of ski no matter what length you ski it in. The regular G9 is a big step down from it- it's a fun carving ski, good at speed but it isn't equivalent to the master's skis you are used to. I would think that G9 RS in 176 is more equivalent to your Dynastar.

Another ski to potentially look at is the junior version, the G9 FIS Revoshock S in a 180cm (24m). It uses the same plate & binding as the G9 RS, but a construction layup that isn't quite as substantial yet is beefier than the regular G9. I'm a big fan of this ski as well.
Thank you so much Matt, that is really great info and super helpful. I like your suggestion about the junior version as a potential possibility for me. And I really appreciate how gracious you've been with your time in trying to help me choose the right setup. Last question..........Between the G9 RS 176 vs the junior version of the G9 FIS Revoshock S 180, which do you think would be better for me? I'm 5' 9" and 150 lbs and typically ski aggressively and quite fast. Will the junior version of the FIS 180 ski be slightly more forgiving and better for free skiing than the RS 176 due to the less substantial construction layup, even though it has a larger turn radius of 24 m vs 21 m on the RS 176? Lastly, is it also possible to order the Regular G9 but with the world cup binding interface that accepts the X-VAR race bindings, instead of the regular interface it normally comes with? And just to clarify, as all these different versions of the G9 are a tad confusing, what is the difference between the G9 R Revoshock S and the G9 Revoshock S..........is it a version with a construction layup in between the RS and the S or is it something else???

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Will the junior version of the FIS 180 ski be slightly more forgiving and better for free skiing than the RS 176 due to the less substantial construction layup, even though it has a larger turn radius of 24 m vs 21 m on the RS 176?
Yes, the junior version will be better for free skiing.
Lastly, is it also possible to order the Regular G9 but with the world cup binding interface that accepts the X-VAR race bindings, instead of the regular interface it normally comes with?
That would be the G9 R and also the answer to the question below.
And just to clarify, as all these different versions of the G9 are a tad confusing, what is the difference between the G9 R Revoshock S and the G9 Revoshock S..........is it a version with a construction layup in between the RS and the S or is it something else???

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
Herbi packed a pair of the X9 RS in Ben's ski bag for me. BB or JS didn't bring any volume ( or possibly none) in to North America. I have a Servotec G9R 19.6m 183 which is a fun alternative. Would like that version with Revoshock.

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
forgive me if this has been asked but how many times can the Hawx Ultra be heat molded? ...like if you got new/different footbeds etc?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
forgive me if this has been asked but how many times can the Hawx Ultra be heat molded? ...like if you got new/different footbeds etc?
We officially say that shells and liners can be heat molded 5-ish times, but it can be more than that depending on a variety of variables. In reality, I don't ever see people needing it done more than twice, maybe three times. But even that I would put in the "rarely occurring" category.

The question is- are the changes you are introducing necessitate the need to re-heat the shell or liner? If you are simply changing footbeds, then I would highly doubt you need to remold the shell but perhaps the liner if the footbed repositioned your ankle a bit. If the new footbeds are very similar to the old ones, then you might not even need anything done because the internal foams have a bit of autocorrect in them.

Sponsor