• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Mana’s graphics are not only Meh, they are smooth, gloss black top sheets. Have seen a few reviews of them and the demo pairs already looked scratched to hell with little use. One of the best things about the 21 CT is their matte, dimpled top sheets that don’t show scratches at all.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They could have done WAY better using some of the exemplary work of a certain Mr. Benoit Mandelbrot.

Would probably take their topsheet printers early-80s flatbed plotters too long to generate :D They might make their way around to the work of a certain M. Lissajous.

Just remember, "We are a Collective"

There's a helicopter joke in there, but unfortunately Head already made it back in ~2016 with the Collective and Cyclic.

It says so right on the sidewalls! Haha

This is where @GregK gets the callsign 'Husker' and there's a chorus of "So say we all"

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Mana’s graphics are not only Meh, they are smooth, gloss black top sheets.

Yeah, what were they thinking-You know what, lets make them piano black gloss, what could possibly go wrong? It is not as if someone will try and scratch them with some sharp metal stuff is it?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hell Yes!!!! It’s happening!!!

40422309-328D-45AB-A79A-377F919CA889.png

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
They have a very different rocker profile than the CT.
Looks like the 2nd one from the left looks like the narrowest and then gets wider going right with deeper rocker and more splay as they go wider. His favourite ski is the CT 5.0 which has lots of splay and flat rocker but the last one on the right here has some camber it looks like but maybe the far left is his new widest?
Don’t look super tapered so that looks similar to the CT I think/hope.

I just hope one of those is around 105mm(Center one?) and I’m good!!

Wonder who is making them?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looks similar to the CT 5.0 or a Salomon Blank as far as splay and running length/contact length. The difference like all CT is the effective edge is still very long. The 183cm CT 5.0 has 20cm more effective edge than the 186cm Blank. More rocker than a 186cm Black Ops 118 but identical effective edge.

Compared against the 183cm Bonafide 97, Brahma 88 and 184cm Volkl M6, the old CT 5.0 has a longer effective edge than the Bonafide 97 and within 2cm of the other 2!

Spin like a top while flat and lots of grip when on edge. Like any CT!

Liking the tip design of even the narrow looking one. Definitely looks wider than a CT 1.0

dare

Booting up
Skier
Hey all, I’ve read this thread with great interest, thanks to everyone who posted! Was hoping I can get some advice since there seems to be so much exprience around the CT line here.

I’m 192cm / 103kg (6.3”, 227 lbs), 38yo skiing about 30 days / year in the European Alps. “Athletic intermediate” looking for directional all mtn / some powder skiing near the lift lines. Been snowboarding for a long time but recently started to ski more.

I plan on snowboarding right after big snowfalls and was looking for a pair of skis for the following days for offpiste near the lift lines and some chopped up groomers. I want them playful but still able to handle my weight and I also want to tour on them a few days a season using Duke PTs (close to the resorts, mainly for exercise).

I was looking at Dynastar M Free 108, Black Crows Atris, Faction Prodigy 3.0 and Faction CT 3.0 22 (attracted by their low weight). Now reading this thread I am obviously tempted to go for the CT 3.0 21 + Duke PTs.

What are your thoughts on this?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just saw this Canadian shop who seems to have stock of 190cm 21 CT 3.0 and 183cm and 188cm 21 CT 2.0 too. Discount isn’t the 40% off retail like they should be for 2 year old skis but I’m think they could talked into better discounts.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
was looking at Dynastar M Free 108, Black Crows Atris, Faction Prodigy 3.0 and Faction CT 3.0 22 (attracted by their low weight). Now reading this thread I am obviously tempted to go for the CT 3.0 21 + Duke PTs.
The Atris would be too light for your size or for anything tracked out after any storm and the lighter weight of the 22 Factions aren’t really great either. The 21 CT 3.0 would be much better but not sure if you can find any 21 190cm 3.0 stock in Europe.
The 192cm MFree 108 would be a more surfy option compared to the 21 CT 3.0 but almost identical weight. Not as precise a carver as the CT 3.0 but a very fun ski.

The 191cm Nordica Unleashed 108 might be another great option. Similar shape to the CT 3.0 but a bit narrower with a little more sidecut and about 100gr lighter. One single sheet of metal so it’s still damp but not as heavy.

dare

Booting up
Skier
The Atris would be too light for your size or for anything tracked out after any storm and the lighter weight of the 22 Factions aren’t really great either. The 21 CT 3.0 would be much better but not sure if you can find any 21 190cm 3.0 stock in Europe.
The 192cm MFree 108 would be a more surfy option compared to the 21 CT 3.0 but almost identical weight. Not as precise a carver as the CT 3.0 but a very fun ski.

The 191cm Nordica Unleashed 108 might be another great option. Similar shape to the CT 3.0 but a bit narrower with a little more sidecut and about 100gr lighter. One single sheet of metal so it’s still damp but not as heavy.
Thanks @GregK! Yeah, these were my thoughts too. The M Free 108 seems like the ski for me, but I have the chance (probably the last one) to get the CT 3.0 21 here so I guess I'll go for it. The M Free 108 will be around in the same form for at least one more season, so eventually I will probably grab that one too, even though they seem to overlap a lot. I guess I can mount the CTs for more pivot (-1.5 from CT line?) and the M Free for more float to get some variation.

Now the question is which ones will get the Duke PTs. They are basically the same weight, so I would put them on the ones that are better floaters and ski easier since my legs will be tired from skinning up. I guess those would be M Free's.

Just for reference, I've been skiing these Atomic Coax 192 105mm ww from 2012 (the ones in the middle). Very little to compare it to but damn those ski incredibly well, I can't believe they are 10 years old. Loved the long effective edge and running length (yes, I've read your post about this). So much support, so easy to ski. Unfortunately they have very little tip and tail rocker, which, combined with my poor skills meant I couldn't get them off-piste without having to sit way back, which made them very hard to handle. Hence sold them and looking for new skis.

The ones on the right are 184 Black Crows Captis. I got 'em for easy going Sunday skiing with my 4yo. Much shorter but they actually ski really well on groomers even for my weight (sidewalls vs capped Coax's I guess) and are easy on the knees, but unusable outside the slopes for someone my size.

The ones on the left are 2020 Blizzard Spur's. I bought them impulsively at a good price as they seem to be a good powder option for when I become a better skier. Maybe I feel confident enough to mount them this season.

Attachments

• myskis.jpeg
    myskis.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 25

Sponsor