• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
alright, tried the CT3.0 in spring slush. I see where the hype comes from. Pretty damn fun day. It's too late now but would love to try the 190 length
View attachment 203549
A-That terrain looks awesome!
B-The CT 3.0 are incredibly fun in Spring condition.
C-The 190 CT 3.0 is a noticeable gain in stability and suspension but not as playful as the 184cm. Love having both!

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
A-That terrain looks awesome!
B-The CT 3.0 are incredibly fun in Spring condition.
C-The 190 CT 3.0 is a noticeable gain in stability and suspension but not as playful as the 184cm. Love having both!
I like them.... but what say you about trading your ct3.0 190 for my 183 ct1.0 :ogbiggrin:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used my CT 3.0 190 cm a lot this spring in New England. It became my go to ski for those conditions. Even bumped up tight trees were fine with that size ski, as it pivots quite nicely once you get the mount position sorted. (most will want -1.5cm back of CT line, I went with -2.0 as a clyde). I can't comment on the 184cm performance.

The 190 either floated over over pushed through any snow on the slope. I could make whatever turn I wanted and the ski just did it. Not much threw it off its a game. I could ski at whatever speed I chose and the ski stayed stable. It has really good edge grip when needed, skis much lighter than its weight, and pivots pretty easily. I ran them through a comp. mogul course (slushy) and had no issues with them. The only negative is they are a heavy ski, so if you have to horse them around, you will feel the weight. Keep them on the snow and let the ski do the work, they don't tire you out. Its really confidence inspiring how stable and strong they ski, without being overly stiff. Their "whole length" flex pattern does a good job of absorbing the terrain. They aren't the most damp ski, but they have enough dampness to not notice any lack of dampness.

Once I got the ski tuned well, it really impressed me. The factory tune left me asking "why is this ski being praised so much".

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like them.... but what say you about trading your ct3.0 190 for my 183 ct1.0 :ogbiggrin:

Greg has just about every 2021 CT model in both 183/4 length and 190 length. I bet you know that. I have two CT's. My second is the 183 CT1.0. Same thing with the tune. I like the CT1.0 as a jack of all trades ski. Not as much float or crud busting as the CT3.0, but quicker edge to edge, much easier to throw around, and still very stable and decently damp. I was going to ski it this past weekend on the Superstar bumps at Killington. I never made it there, but I expect it would have been really fun. The CT1.0 is much better for firmer conditions and competes in my quiver with my 88mm all mtn skis (brahma 88, 187cm and Salomon X-Drive 8.8 184 cm.) The Brahma has more edge and carving ability, the X-Drive is damper and burlier, but the CT 1.0 is the best all arounder of the three. Very easy to pivot the CT1.0, especially compared to the X-Drive.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia Faction Dance 2X
IMG_2537.jpeg

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Decals and brand names are not that important. Aerodynamics only cares about the primary color. As long as it is yellow, you are fine.
Note that any deviation from bright yellow changes the results. You go for more ochre, you lose 4-5% top speed. And when you approach that muddy browny yellow you are back in the slow line. The brighter-the faster.

Now, let me give you some examples:

View attachment 201805

Thats ultrafast. Borderline cheating.

View attachment 201806

Not bad but you can feel it gets slower.

View attachment 201807

Terrible.Absolutely goddamn terrible. Don’t even bother. Skis feel like glued to the snow.

And as you mentioned Briko, this:

View attachment 201809

is blistering fast. On par with the first one here.

Hope this helps
Found my yeller helmet!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Decals and brand names are not that important. Aerodynamics only cares about the primary color. As long as it is yellow, you are fine.
Note that any deviation from bright yellow changes the results. You go for more ochre, you lose 4-5% top speed. And when you approach that muddy browny yellow you are back in the slow line. The brighter-the faster.

Now, let me give you some examples:

View attachment 201805

Thats ultrafast. Borderline cheating.

View attachment 201806

Not bad but you can feel it gets slower.

View attachment 201807

Terrible.Absolutely goddamn terrible. Don’t even bother. Skis feel like glued to the snow.

And as you mentioned Briko, this:

View attachment 201809

is blistering fast. On par with the first one here.

Hope this helps
Man, this is deep.
Deep philosophical questions solved, pretty much.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I still have one pair of new 183cm CT 1.0 backups along with an extra set of 183cm CT 2.0 backups! The pair of CT 1.0 that I actually ski are still mint as they haven’t seen Rocks out West yet. My CT 2.0 that have seen 3 years of out West skiing still look great after some black car paint “touch ups” and some ptex/grinding on rock hits.
Bought 2 other pairs of CT 1.0 183cm in TheHouse.com sale “just in case” and sold those to ski buddies already. Was able to grind and tune those before they got them and they absolutely love them and rave about them every time I see them. Same with the 178cm and 165cm CT 1.0 pairs I got and tuned for other friends this year.

The 21 CT 2.0 and especially CT 1.0 are much harder to find similar replacements than the CT 3.0 as the narrower skis are so unique in their weight, damping and stability in their class. Compatible skis near their width(even from Faction themselves-Dictator/Dancer) are no where close to the suspension of them as they don’t have the mass or damping they do. Similar flex patter(CT softer underfoot) and edge grip yet the 21 CT are even easier and more playful to ski because of their shape, mount and tail splay.
So if you are finding you’re liking a Dictator or Dancer ski and not also loving a 21 CT 1.0 or CT 2.0 ski, something is up there.

Bet the 191cm Sender Free 110 would be pretty comparable with the 190cm CT 3.0 if you mounted the Sender at the -2cm mount(or even -3cm). Think the CT 3.0 is still going to have a touch more stability but not be quite as easy or playful.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm really enjoying these, especially in the spring snow.
Ditto! Just really surprised at how versatile they felt. Especially love them in bumps!

When compared to the Dancer 3, I have to say I feel the 2 is more damp so that has been nice for spring afternoons.

Sponsor

Staff online