• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

Looks almost like a flat camber/full rocker ski in the air and by how easy it pivots but the widest CT were always like that.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Notice that there are only 158cm 21 CT 1.0 stock now at The-House/Skis.com and they sold out of all other lengths. Congrats, we did it! :golfclap:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Any Pugs in Japan looking for a 2021 CT 3.0 in 184, there's a brand new one available for equivalent of $470. PM me for details.
Also a 178 CT 2.0, didn't notice the price.
Happy to facilitate a buy for anyone in-country.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Picked jp my CT1.0s today
20221116_172100.jpg

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Faction releasing some full camber, symmetrical dedicated pipe(83mm) and park(90mm) models. Wonder if all the athletes will be moving to these from the Prodigy line for competitions.
No interest in these myself but good to see them making symmetrical skis again like the pre 21 CT 1.0 and 2.0.

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
I've enjoyed reading all these posts by traditional skiers who recently have discovered the "dirty little secret" of twin tips: they're not just for park rats anymore. I bought my first pair of Line Sir Francis Bacon about ten years ago and within the first run realized that it was the ski design I unknowingly had been waiting for my entire life. As a recreational inline skater who (unintentionally) has hit downhill speeds of 30+ mph on a 38cm wheelbase, that ingrained neutral/relaxed/centered stance translates perfectly to twin tips. Instead of driving the shins, I tilt my ankles sideways and ride the sweet spot of the hourglass without effort or fatigue because it's all power steering cruise control, baby! And in tight trees, bumps, chutes, etc. the variety of turn techniques come in handy, as do the noticeably shorter tips. Conversely, the longer tails have zero downside even in tight spaces like bumps, but do avert getting in the backseat because the added fore-aft stability is profound. I look forward to testing my new CT 1.0 skis on some eastern hardpack, and wish you all a great 2022/23 season. Cheers.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I’ve had 3 days on my 1.0’s now. I didn’t really plan to ski on them till there was a little bit more snow, but circumstances lead me to get on them right away.

Here are my immediate impressions…
First, I will say that the factory tune seemed fine. Besides, a coat of wax, I had not touched the edges even with a stone.
Also, I am glad that I mounted them 3 cm back as it seems just about right.
I mostly skied moderately steep natural bumps & a few short groomers with firm but not icy machine made snow.

A52C1B11-364F-4DD0-BB17-C4B9A5CE53C6.jpeg

From the moment I got off the chair lift I could tell these skis would be quite manageable. Turned easily & predictably.
Whether in the bumps or on the groomed they do not want to be overpowered. Be willing to go along for the ride & they will treat you just fine.
No regrets buying them, they are serving their purpose perfectly :).
1E348B41-8138-4774-A4BB-8D1A3E04135E.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
What was your size again @4ster? Know you are on the 178cm at -3cm.

All the 21 CT are very easy to ski even at lower speeds and very forgiving in bumps but they LOVE being driven and going fast. Find they will really come alive with speed.

Their unique flex pattern and dampening make them seem softer and not as capable as they truly are. Takes a bit of skiing them to really see their potential.
Have found myself skiing faster with less drama the last few years on these skis. Sneaky chargers!

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
I've enjoyed reading all these posts by traditional skiers who recently have discovered the "dirty little secret" of twin tips: they're not just for park rats anymore. I bought my first pair of Line Sir Francis Bacon about ten years ago and within the first run realized that it was the ski design I unknowingly had been waiting for my entire life. As a recreational inline skater who (unintentionally) has hit downhill speeds of 30+ mph on a 38cm wheelbase, that ingrained neutral/relaxed/centered stance translates perfectly to twin tips. Instead of driving the shins, I tilt my ankles sideways and ride the sweet spot of the hourglass without effort or fatigue because it's all power steering cruise control, baby! And in tight trees, bumps, chutes, etc. the variety of turn techniques come in handy, as do the noticeably shorter tips. Conversely, the longer tails have zero downside even in tight spaces like bumps, but do avert getting in the backseat because the added fore-aft stability is profound. I look forward to testing my new CT 1.0 skis on some eastern hardpack, and wish you all a great 2022/23 season. Cheers.
I loved my Bacon's, still the most fun slow-mo pow ski I have been on, but man oh man did I ever have some epic tomahawks when the shovels folded.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Bought a pair of the new lighter and stiffer 2018 184cm SFB based on others online descriptions of it.
Took 3 runs on it and knew it was just too soft and light for my taste. Sold it to a buddy who skis less aggressively and follows his kids around the hills in Banff and Lake Louise. Absolutely loves them still and I just did a big “yearly tune” on them.

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
Both of your comments on the SFB bring up good points. Fortunately I snagged a pair just before the designers (or marketers?) got bored and "refreshed" (i.e. ruined) it around 2018, though maybe the latest model is back on track. I'm fairly lighter, shorter and slower so the relatively soft tips and tails of stiffer twins aren't an issue if I size up to ensure the beefy mid-section is long enough for support and bite. According to ESPN, Candide is only 5'6" and weighs 120 lbs, yet skied the 5.0 in a 183. The CT 1.0 and 2.0 are unicorns in that the metal keeps them stiff everywhere so for once heavier and more aggressive skiers finally had the opportunity to experience an all-mountain park ski shape the way we lighter skiers do. But, sigh, yet again designers (or marketers) decided to mess with a great product instead of nurturing the right niche for it.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'll volunteer for the stationary camera!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
You mean I’m supposed to straightline & do humongous backflips? I’ve been doing it all wrong :doh:

When I began being a regular springtime skier at Palisades Tahoe a few years ago it became apparent that it really didn’t count as a ski run if you didn’t at least include 1 backflip.
:daffy:

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Candide’s longtime ski buddy and the one that follows him filming on most videos including the one above is Aziz Benkrich. Unreal skier as well

Here’s the video of Candide ripping his 21 CT 5.0(122mm) 183cm with Aziz behind or beside him. Can often hear Aziz laughing or hollering at Candide’s insane maneuvers.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid