• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
First day out skiing this year and had the 183cm CT 1.0 skis out. Skied the Deacon Master 72 ski to start as I wanted to try them out as they have had tuning issues(bases insanely high need lots of work to correct).

After a few hours, I swapped to the CT 1.0 which had a more typical first stone grind after last season. These skis instantly felt comfortable and think the grind made them even quicker edge to edge and a bit easier to pivot. Noticed no difference in glide over the black graphite infused race bases of the Deacons and was actually skiing a few mph faster with the CT 1.0 with much more confidence. Such amazing skis! So happy I’ve got lots of backups of these.

Thought of @EG-NJ when going down a few slower runs and was just rolling from edge to edge and doing pretty short turns with little effort and wasn’t going that fast on my 183cm skis. Should be no issue on your 172cm laying them over.

Still really come alive when you grit your teeth and haul with them. Was rough by 10:30am and was still skiing around 40mph through the crud with ease on a 460’ vert hill. Lol

View attachment 184127
Thanks for the update and skiing a run for me, especially since it's 56 degrees here today. With 460' vert, it's impressive that you hit 40 mph. Years ago Lake Placid modified luge sleds (so they couldn't crash) and let tourists pay per ride on their 1 mile Olympic track. I remember being strapped in lying on my back, and two guys giving me a running start launch onto a near-90 degree dropoff ramp, and eventually hit a top speed of 60 mph despite several impossible-looking hairpin turns (no skill required, other than keeping your underwear clean). Maybe you can enlist a couple helpers to similarly launch you into a 60 mph short run, but watch out for that base lodge (or jump it like Candide... backflip totally optional).

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Busting out the CT1.0S today

Attachments

• 20221126_132929.jpg
    20221126_132929.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 21
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had a Whistler buddy text me last that he was just skiing along on a groomer on opening day on his CT 3.0 and the ski just popped off and was GONE! The Griffon heel somehow slide off so that’s all he’s got of that ski now. Lol

Bought a set of Mana 2(22 CT 2.0) last night, skied them today and loves them too. His daughter on the new Mana skis “you’re not a good enough skier for those skis.” I guess they look fancier than his 21 CT 3.0. Haha

This is the pic he sent me. :roflmao:

806A4851-6506-4138-948E-123ECB4D74A3.jpeg

Last edited:

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
He keeps telling me to switch my skis occasionally so the edges wear down evenly... I keep telling him the misaligned graphics hurt my soul too much :roflmao:
Most of you probably regularly tune your own skis or have a ski shop subscription, but I don't get mine sharpened that often (especially when out west) so I designate a left and right ski and consistently use them that way for a while. This keeps the alternate edges sharp, which can be a lifesaver (or at least a day saver) if terrain gets unexpectedly steep and icy (sometimes I swap mid-run). After several days (or weeks... or months?) I do reverse them to even out the edges, but stay aware that I no longer have that safety reserve and choose the terrain accordingly until I finally get a tune.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of you probably regularly tune your own skis or have a ski shop subscription, but I don't get mine sharpened that often (especially when out west) so I designate a left and right ski and consistently use them that way for a while. This keeps the alternate edges sharp, which can be a lifesaver (or at least a day saver) if terrain gets unexpectedly steep and icy (sometimes I swap mid-run). After several days (or weeks... or months?) I do reverse them to even out the edges, but stay aware that I no longer have that safety reserve and choose the terrain accordingly until I finally get a tune.

It almost sounds like more work doing what you are doing than just getting a tool or two and touching up your side edges after 2-3 days. You don't have to get very detailed or spend much time to get your "sharp" back on. I do your thing with switching skis, but mostly its morning versus afternoon runs, or day 1 vs day 2. Just a friendly suggestion. Whatever works for you.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As @ScottB mentioned, get a ceramic stone and maybe a 400grit diamond stone and give them the once over the edges often.
I feel the edges with my fingernail after skiing daily for damage and if I feel any, go flat along the edge by hand with stones so they are smooth again. Hit them with a roll on wax and then a brush 10 mins later. Literally takes me about 3 mins tops to do this and the skis are always at 100%.
Will use a side bevel guide every few days which again takes seconds.

It’s unreal how slow the glide is on skis with edge nicks and unwaxed bases.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
As @ScottB mentioned, get a ceramic stone and maybe a 400grit diamond stone and give them the once over the edges often.
I feel the edges with my fingernail after skiing daily for damage and if I feel any, go flat along the edge by hand with stones so they are smooth again. Hit them with a roll on wax and then a brush 10 mins later. Literally takes me about 3 mins tops to do this and the skis are always at 100%.
Will use a side bevel guide every few days which again takes seconds.

It’s unreal how slow the glide is on skis with edge nicks and unwaxed bases.

Agreed, even a bit of tuning is a game changer. You can start taking this sucker for deburring, and this easy wax. These are not the best that money can buy, but it's best to get started with something. The difference it makes is is huge. And later on, you go down the rabbit hole of home tuning ...

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fearless (fun) Prediction: 20 years from now, @GregK is running a detailing company with at least 10 employees, while still skiing his 2021 Faction quiver.

And constantly searching obscure classified sites for more of the same! :ogbiggrin:

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Fearless (fun) Prediction: 20 years from now, @GregK is running a detailing company with at least 10 employees, while still skiing his 2021 Faction quiver.

And constantly searching obscure classified sites for more of the same! :ogbiggrin:
Lol

The goal is working LESS now, not more!

Rare for me to keep skis more than a year or more so you KNOW I love my 21 CT 2.0 as this is year 3 on them! Hope to god there are similar skis released this year from Candide himself and the wider 2 Black Ops skis which are in the same vein.

Will get new ones in a few years and get big money for my used 21 CT as they are “celebrity owned!”
:roflmao:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Lol

The goal is working LESS now, not more!

Yeh, you're just going to have to systematise and delegate the search. That's OK, we have at least one archaeologist on the site, possibly for hire :D

Rare for me to keep skis more than a year or more so you KNOW I love my 21 CT 2.0 as this is year 3 on them! Hope to god there are similar skis released this year from Candide himself and the wider 2 Black Ops skis which are in the same vein.

A few geologists too, I think. ;)

phil_dirt

Booting up
Skier
Got my 1.0s out the past couple a weekends, forgot how well they charge.

I have a banged up set of 2.0 188s that need some work and mounting, but once I'm done we'll see how unwieldy they are.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Got my 1.0s out the past couple a weekends, forgot how well they charge.

I have a banged up set of 2.0 188s that need some work and mounting, but once I'm done we'll see how unwieldy they are.

0290A878-65F0-4779-BB2F-E35A747EE439.jpeg

188cm CT 2.0 you say??? Had mine out today and yes, yes they rip still! Didn’t get that many days last year on my 188cm versions and much more on the 183cm versions I use for my daily driver out west. Did find them more demanding than the shorter version last year but after a grind this spring, they seemed quicker edge to edge and easier today.
Think I will use these for afternoon crud destroying in the East and use the 183cm version out west as it’s is too small of a jump from the 183cm CT 1.0. Agree the CT 1.0 charges pretty well too!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes, very good point. I also came to appreciate different graphics on the left and right ski for this same reason.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He keeps telling me to switch my skis occasionally so the edges wear down evenly... I keep telling him the misaligned graphics hurt my soul too much :roflmao:
Never mind the graphics, you will be shocked to know some people switch they Atomic FIS SL ski-the ones with the plastic thumbs at the tips that point inwards. How can they ski with them pointing outwards and keep their sanity intact is way beyond my ability to comprehend. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January