• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Got it, OK.

The Wildcats are very nice ski but not on groomers, will see how the 3.0 will be.
Wildcats especially the 190cm Big Cats/118mm are a riot on rough groomers when you’re flying. Was so fun at West on them skiing through chop with them.

CT 3.0 honestly make no sense how well they carve. Have a blast with them on 500’ hills yet handle very high speeds with ease. Feel like an amazing carving 104-106mm ish ski yet it’s 112mm. One of my favourite mogul skis too.

You’ll be on a Curated video hyping them up with Darryl in no time!! Lol

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied the mantras for our resort powder day, arcing huuuuuuuuuge smooth turns, only managed 60-65kmh with the fresh pow, but actually hit 80 50 minutes into the day as it were getting bumpy, just... 35 meter arcs through the bumps, keep shin pressure, and 0 interest in whats in front of me, it will just crush it.

I have to say the M102 actually has decent float, but you NEED 50-60kmh

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@anders_nor I forget if you have Volkl Katana 108 too as they would be fun in chop like that.

Powder days on smaller hills near me are awful when the wind is strong against you going down and just want that extra 5-10km/hr so you’re not sinking.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@anders_nor I forget if you have Volkl Katana 108 too as they would be fun in chop like that.

Powder days on smaller hills near me are awful when the wind is strong against you going down and just want that extra 5-10km/hr so you’re not sinking.
had, sold em.

we can choose up ti 29-31? degrees slope, so there is always enough gravity :)

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
So I finally picked up my 1.0 from REI and although they notated my explicit request of -1.5cm (-0.6 inch), they mounted only a half inch back (-1.27cm) from the line. Didn't quibble since it could've been worse, but still... maybe there was some metric conversion miscalculation?

The better news is that I requested they check the bases/edges for any issues and after thorough examination got a thumbs up. They then applied a machine wax so I'm all set if there ever actually is some snow. 20% off shop services and unlimited free waxes are nice perks given the $20 lifetime membership fee, especially for those of us who don't live near a ski area.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Rossignol Sender Free 110 are out in the wild! Someone on Newschoolers posted these pics and I asked if there were pics of the dimensions and haven’t heard yet. Looks more directional like the narrower Sender models.

E416B927-66A9-49E0-916B-7994059775CC.png
356D4155-0624-4026-8FB1-0BE1E1064784.png
40C56A8D-D6B6-4927-AA74-75B66649B4D9.jpeg

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Shame Shame Shame on you GK.
Tyrolia‘s on a beautiful pair of Rossi’s.
And to think deep deep deep down inside you really were a Rossi Man.
Oh well.
As always, thanks for the picks.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@anders_nor Your “had them, sold them” comment about the K108 reminded me that I forgot to tell you about the guy I went up with on the lift the other day who had INSANELY floppy JSkis. Every slight movement in the lift line and the tips and tails would flop around for a few seconds.
Asked him on the way up what model they were thinking they must be a park/freeride noodle like the Allplay or something and they were Hotshots! Was shocked that they deflected that much.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Shame Shame Shame on you GK.
Tyrolia‘s on a beautiful pair of Rossi’s.
And to think deep deep deep down inside you really were a Rossi Man.
Oh well.
As always, thanks for the picks.
Haha! Haven’t had Rossi skis since I started back skiing 10 years ago but had some 4S and race skis back in the skinny ski days!

Had SPX and Pivots more recently but love the adjustability, stand height, weight and prices I can get the Attacks for. Easier to sell the cheaper Attacks with the skis when I flip them.
Paid about $475 US for the BO 118 skis and perfect colour matched Attacks were $82 US so I’m not complaining!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@anders_nor Your “had them, sold them” comment about the K108 reminded me that I forgot to tell you about the guy I went up with on the lift the other day who had INSANELY floppy JSkis. Every slight movement in the lift line and the tips and tails would flop around for a few seconds.
Asked him on the way up what model they were thinking they must be a park/freeride noodle like the Allplay or something and they were Hotshots! Was shocked that they deflected that much.
hotshot underdeliverd :| such an awesome gfx topsheet on mine though.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Funny story from my local hill’s tech shop today. Was there a few weeks ago getting my CT 2.0 ground and the younger tech loved them but would really wished they were narrower for east coast park use. Told him there was a Quebec dealer that still had CT 1.0 stock still in his 172cm size and gave him their number. Noticed they were sold out a few days later and wondered if he grabbed them.

Saw his workmate today at the hill and he said “btw, that tech bought those skis that afternoon, mounted them up last week and loves them!”
Another happy customer!

Have a buddy testing out my CT 1.0 tonight as he wants a carvy twin tip for the East Coast and I still have an extra set of them.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just got back from Mammoth and just have to say that the CT3.0s are an absolute beast. Went over 50mph in a mix of powder, crud, and bumps but felt absolutely in control. On groomers, if you lay them over, boy they are something special! Was using them a lot on Back for More where the upper half has a ton of windbuff followed by bumps and then followed by a tight left hander. No better ski for that trail/conditions than the CT3.0.

Hamburglar789

Booting up
Skier
Visited the Gear Room at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon here in Utah and look what I found…

Attachments

• 2C3925AB-E6F2-4868-B458-F1A3FA3ACBCD.jpeg
    2C3925AB-E6F2-4868-B458-F1A3FA3ACBCD.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 39

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Visited the Gear Room at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon here in Utah and look what I found…
Would love to see those “Unsellable” 2.0s end up on Sierra. Maybe someone should tip them off that they can sell their old crummy inventory that wont sell to Sierra, and then load up on the food stuff. Nordicas

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just got back from Mammoth and just have to say that the CT3.0s are an absolute beast. Went over 50mph in a mix of powder, crud, and bumps but felt absolutely in control. On groomers, if you lay them over, boy they are something special! Was using them a lot on Back for More where the upper half has a ton of windbuff followed by bumps and then followed by a tight left hander. No better ski for that trail/conditions than the CT3.0.
Such a great ski! Saw the Sender 110 Free specs and has the exact same tip width, 2 mm narrower underfoot and 1mm narrower tail so a bit tighter radius. So I guess I don’t need to buy them. :ogbiggrin:

Finding that there wasn’t a huge difference between the 183cm CT 2.0 and 188cm version so think I’ll just move up to the 184cm CT 3.0 in thick crud. A person on TGR was looking for the 188cm CT 2.0 so shipped them to a new home so they will get more use.
Almost new red Attacks will probably go on my last extra 183cm CT 1.0 I might be selling to a buddy. He’s trying my pair of CT 1.0 out tonight.

phil_dirt

Booting up
Skier
Got the 3.0's out last night and they definitely charge super hard. I wasn't used to the fresh tune on the skis that I got, edges were super sharp and I felt very locked into turns. I haven't detuned at all, I think I'll detune the tips and tails just before the widest part of the ski.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Got the 3.0's out last night and they definitely charge super hard. I wasn't used to the fresh tune on the skis that I got, edges were super sharp and I felt very locked into turns. I haven't detuned at all, I think I'll detune the tips and tails just before the widest part of the ski.
Do you have any diamond stones at all? I’d maybe run those along the edges to see if there’s any issues. If they stone ground too, maybe check the base bevel is uniform tip to tail at 1 degree first, then hit with the stones.

Just detune ABOVE the widest parts of the tip and tail above the widest parts so past the effective edge.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Skied my new 180cm Blizzard Firebird WRC to start the day and later moved to the 183cm CT 2.0(CT 1.0 on loan to a buddy) after lunch. Really unreal moving from a 68mm carver to a 102mm twin tip and there’s no learning curve.
Afternoon crud is noticeable better on the more damp CT 2.0 and they weren’t fazed but some refrozen sections. Like all CT skis, they are much easier and faster edge to edge than their specs.

A ski like the WRC and CT 1.0 would be a great 2 ski quiver for the lower snow areas in the East.

Sponsor

Staff online