• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reading what the others have to go through with imperfect tuning, base/edge high skis I am beginning to think I am some special sort of lucky. All my skis including the Faction and I mean ALL came from the factory absolutely perfect and flat. Base grind-not even once!

As for the bindings, on the CTs I am with STH2 and like them so much that am getting the 3.0 mounted with the same red STH2s.
But I guess I am less sensitive to that as I like all of my bindings-just prefer the looks of some compared to others-SPX 15 and STH2 in my eyes are muuuuuch better looking than the Attacks which I have on my Wildcats.

OK, an update. Scratch the above. The CT 3.0 are definitely edge high. It had to happen at some point. :ogbiggrin: Getting them mounted now and perhaps will test still next week, we'll see. Today was a CT 1.0 day. Very pleased as usual.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
After a grind & tune my CT1.O are excellent. Shout-out to @greg for all the beta on the CT line

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
OK, an update. Scratch the above. The CT 3.0 are definitely edge high. It had to happen at some point. :ogbiggrin: Getting them mounted now and perhaps will test still next week, we'll see. Today was a CT 1.0 day. Very pleased as usual.
Glad you found out the tune issue before skiing them. Get them stone ground before mounting the bindings so you get a more uniform grind. Find those binding adapters don’t provide as even pressure tip to tail when they use a semi auto feeding machine.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What ski do you use for this:

IMG_0287.jpg

Cut up, skied out, piled up shit with eleventy gazillion ski aficionados on it?

VWerks get bounced around too much, WRTs won't steer, pivot and smear, Wildcats absolutely suck at low speed...so?

Well turns out these did the job:

IMG_0285.jpg

I am starting to think these are if not the best then for sure the most useful skis in my quiver. And that without excelling in anything. And that being the cheapest ski I own. And still I'd take them over anything else these days.

Ironic.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
What ski do you use for this:

View attachment 190578

Cut up, skied out, piled up shit with eleventy gazillion ski aficionados on it?

VWerks get bounced around too much, WRTs won't steer, pivot and smear, Wildcats absolutely suck at low speed...so?

Well turns out these did the job:

View attachment 190577

I am starting to think these are if not the best then for sure the most useful skis in my quiver. And that without excelling in anything. And that being the cheapest ski I own. And still I'd take them over anything else these days.

Ironic.
This looks like Stratton VT on any given Saturday. My tool of choice is the Black Crows Mirus Cor with lots of short radius carved turns on extreme skiers left or right! Slower, safer speeds have never been so fun….

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ when conditions are that bad, this "repurposed Monoski" is my ski of choice.
Room for both rounds of Williams AND Beer -> those Austrians know a thing or two !
( photo from Ischgl back in 2018, heading back there Feb 10 ! )

Attachments

• shotski.jpg
    shotski.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 11

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This looks like Stratton VT on any given Saturday. My tool of choice is the Black Crows Mirus Cor with lots of short radius carved turns on extreme skiers left or right! Slower, safer speeds have never been so fun….

Yes, Mirus Cor is very high on my list.

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
Had the Blackops 118(CT 3.75) out today with about 6” of heavy new snow that got tracked out quickly. Skis felt instantly comfortable and find they are like a wide 21 CT 2.0 as it has a bit softer tip/tails than the CT 3.0 and similar rubber damping to the BO 118. Awesome in tracked powder and then then crud that followed by noon.

Like the 184cm CT 3.0, they didn’t need that much speed to come alive and carved and gripped great with the sharp 1/3 tune I have on them. Think I might take the BO 118 and the CT 2.0 out west this year.

One interesting thing that made me think of @Tony Storaro. I got lots of comments on the graphics during the day on the BO skis and one group asked “why there isn’t any snow sticking on them?”
Didn’t even notice till they mentioned it that I have the only ski top sheet in all the lift lines today that didn’t have any sticking snow on them. Guess the ceramic coating seem to help much more on these than any other ski I’ve ever had. Were clean all day without brushing them.

View attachment 190539
The lack of snow caking isn't due to ceramic coating. They're so hot-looking that they melted off the snow.

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
Glad you found out the tune issue before skiing them. Get them stone ground before mounting the bindings so you get a more uniform grind. Find those binding adapters don’t provide as even pressure tip to tail when they use a semi auto feeding machine.
I'm far from an expert since I rarely even tune my skis. But I ran the edge of a straight metal ruler over my recently ground SFBs as well as the 1.0 factory bases. For both pairs, the bases of the tip and tail regions are even and in spots a tad higher than the edges, while underfoot the edges are a bit high (if a slight gap between the ruler and base is an indicator). Maybe they both are flawed (though the SFB ski perfectly) but that makes sense to me. You'd want the tips and tails to freely slide sideways, while the edges underfoot should grab aggressively to compensate for the reduced bite of the tips and tails. Considering that most park riders detune the tips and tails, twins are a somewhat different animal than traditional direction skis. Am I way off-base here (pun semi-intended)?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm far from an expert since I rarely even tune my skis. But I ran the edge of a straight metal ruler over my recently ground SFBs as well as the 1.0 factory bases. For both pairs, the bases of the tip and tail regions are even and in spots a tad higher than the edges, while underfoot the edges are a bit high (if a slight gap between the ruler and base is an indicator). Maybe they both are flawed (though the SFB ski perfectly) but that makes sense to me. You'd want the tips and tails to freely slide sideways, while the edges underfoot should grab aggressively to compensate for the reduced bite of the tips and tails. Considering that most park riders detune the tips and tails, twins are a somewhat different animal than traditional direction skis. Am I way off-base here (pun semi-intended)?
Park skiers usually heavily detune under the binding area so the skis won’t be catchy on rails but may also detune a bit tip/tail but not as heavily.

Your edge high underfoot is very common and that will be slower edge to edge and a bit harder to pivot. Actually will seem “too grippy” and if the whole ski was that way they would feel very heavy and demanding.

The base high tip/tails will make them more surfy but not as solid in edge engagement or as confident feeling. Less noticeable on a ski like the SFB that would more likely be used on softer snow but I’m sure they could be improved.
Base high underfoot is worse as it feels like skiing on marbles and you’re constantly trying to get in balance.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just watched a Lucas Catania video from Powder Mountain and saw these 21 CT 3.0x(on the wrong side for top sheets lining up but anyway…..lol) on the lift with him. Was it anyone from here?

AA21A6CF-C0A3-4A3E-8B15-AE97A4E9B2EB.jpeg

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Copper today on CT 1.0 newly tuned with 1/3. 14" in the past 48 hours with maybe an inch or so overnight. Lots of blown in, chalky conditions off piste. What a huge difference with the base grind and tune. Ski behaves exactly as described by @GregK in different mount position. The most surprising thing was how forgiving it felt in the moguls at -1.5cm. I love having the demo binding for different conditions and intents. What a fun and versatile ski.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Skied my CT 1.0 172cm yesterday at Copper for 2/3 of the day. Factory tune. Firm packed powder conditions. They felt really good on the groomers. However, in the bumps I couldn’t stay on top of them. It felt like they wanted to shoot out under my feet every turn and the tips didn’t want to engage. I moved the bindings forward and back a few times from minus 1cm to minus 2.5cm which didn’t help. Swapped after lunch to my Liberty V76 which skied much better in the bumps. Dropped the CTs off at my tuner yesterday after skiing to grind the bases flat and set the edges at 1 and 3 degrees. Hopefully that’ll help.

Since they felt great on the groomers I was a bit surprised when I struggled in the moguls with them esp considering the twins. I also noticed that occasionally in the bumps and when skating on flats I'd catch the back tip with my other ski which doesn't happen w/ my other skis. Not a big deal but will have to make an adjustment or just get used to it.
Skied Copper today on CT 1.0 newly tuned with 1/3. 14" in the past 48 hours with maybe an inch or so overnight. Lots of blown in, chalky conditions off piste. What a huge difference with the base grind and tune. Ski behaves exactly as described by @GregK in different mount position. The most surprising thing was how forgiving it felt in the moguls at -1.5cm. I love having the demo binding for different conditions and intents. What a fun and versatile ski.
Repeating your previous posts are there are a few Faction and Enforcer 104 owners with similar base high issues on their skis.

So happy to hear they are much better after the tune!
Anytime someone says any of these CT skis are a handful in bumps, not stable or don’t have great edge grip you KNOW SOMETHING is up on them! Smelt a base high ski from miles away on yours!

Had they been “heavy, tiring to ski or hard to pivot”, there might be edge high or uneven base bevel issues.

Now when you go off piste with the CT 1.0 Vs your Liberty V skis, you will know what I meant by how much more playful and easy they are to release the tails.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now when you go off piste with the CT 1.0 Vs your Liberty V skis, you will know what I meant by how much more playful and easy they are to release the tails.
Yes it’ll be interesting to see which ones I prefer. The V76 is much lighter and easier to maneuver as you’d expect. I suspect for now new snow I’ll still be on the V76. It’s good to have options.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes it’ll be interesting to see which ones I prefer. The V76 is much lighter and easier to maneuver as you’d expect. I suspect for now new snow I’ll still be on the V76. It’s good to have options.
Yes, the V76 will be quicker edge to edge and even longer effective edge with less taper than the CT 1.0 so great edge grip. V76 the choice for staying on firm groomers but more work to release the tail off trail and not as damp or stable through crud with its lighter weight.

I have my Firebird WRC for “nothing but firm groomer” days where it stays cold all day so no afternoon crud. Warmer weather, new snow or going off trail and the CT come out.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes the V76 is not great in crud. If I’m anticipating skiing cut up conditions I’d definitely prefer something wider with more backbone. Now if we convince Faction or another ski builder to make that 70-80mm narrow playful charger, that would be something worth trying.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes the V76 is not great in crud. If I’m anticipating skiing cut up conditions I’d definitely prefer something wider with more backbone. Now if we convince Faction or another ski builder to make that 70-80mm narrow playful charger, that would be something worth trying.
No longer even have a 92mm from them anymore so good luck! Lol
Candide new skis will only be 101mm, 111mm and 121mm. :huh: