• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
How are they in those moguls to the right?
Afraid those bumps looked better from the lift than they were. Sheets of scraped off firm snow in front of super hard bumps. Weather temps been fluctuating like crazy lately here causing issues like that but hopefully there should be some natural Spring skiing bumps formed at another resort I’m skiing tomorrow with some wider skis.
Was skiing lots of Trees and bumps out west last season on my 190cm 118mm wildcats as the powder ski but they have been redone since along with the rest of my wide skis. Going to have a “wide ski demo day” tomorrow hopefully of my 112mm and 118mm that hopefully includes bumps.

Love bumps and all the CT are easy in bumps. Those are my 21 CT 2.0 that started it all in 2020 and have at least 1.5 mil plus vert on them and seen lots of bumps here in Ontario and out West.

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
Afraid those bumps looked better from the lift than they were. Sheets of scraped off firm snow in front of super hard bumps. Weather temps been fluctuating like crazy lately here causing issues like that but hopefully there should be some natural Spring skiing bumps formed at another resort I’m skiing tomorrow with some wider skis.
Was skiing lots of Trees and bumps out west last season on my 190cm 118mm wildcats as the powder ski but they have been redone since along with the rest of my wide skis. Going to have a “wide ski demo day” tomorrow hopefully of my 112mm and 118mm that hopefully includes bumps.

Love bumps and all the CT are easy in bumps. Those are my 21 CT 2.0 that started it all in 2020 and have at least 1.5 mil plus vert on them and seen lots of bumps here in Ontario and out West.
Those bumps are pretty much what I expect back East and what I learned on. Call me a masochist but I relish going into crappy terrain just to see how bad it really is. Kind of like the curious temptation of sniffing that month old chunky milk carton found in the back of the fridge, even though obviously it won't be pretty.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anyone looking to move some 21 CT 2.0(x) let me know.

Ill be looking for two pair, 168ish and 180ish

Still loving the CT 3.0. Had a great pow weekend a couple weeks back and they were awesome. I would like something a little heavier for sastrugi, they are a little light and beat the crap outta you. But are skiable even in those super tough conditions.

Great in bumps and trees thats for sure. Would love something closer to 100mm for everyday though.

chasinghorizons

Putting on skis
Skier
I would like something a little heavier for sastrugi, they are a little light and beat the crap outta you. But are skiable even in those super tough conditions.
A little light..? Really? 0_0 Everytime I carry them, I think about jesus carrying the cross and reflect on what sins I've committed recently... (thank you catholic school upbringing...) lol

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
A little light..? Really? 0_0 Everytime I carry them, I think about jesus carrying the cross and reflect on what sins I've committed recently... (thank you catholic school upbringing...) lol
Haha. Pick up some Rossi EXP or Stockli….well any, and tell me they are heavy.

For 112mm width they seem pretty light to me. When it gets nasty nasty, I want some 2X12 planks under me lol

I think the Black Ops 118 are like 2500g each ski and the CT 3.0 clock in around 2100 for 184 lengths?

@GregK knows for sure

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Haha. Pick up some Rossi EXP or Stockli….well any, and tell me they are heavy.

For 112mm width they seem pretty light to me. When it gets nasty nasty, I want some 2X12 planks under me lol

I think the Black Ops 118 are like 2500g each ski and the CT 3.0 clock in around 2100 for 184 lengths?

@GregK knows for sure
@chasinghorizons has tried carrying both my Black Ops and CT3.0 and found the CT3.0 to "feel" heavier haha. The Black Ops weight feels more distributed imho

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Anyone looking to move some 21 CT 2.0(x) let me know.

Ill be looking for two pair, 168ish and 180ish

Still loving the CT 3.0. Had a great pow weekend a couple weeks back and they were awesome. I would like something a little heavier for sastrugi, they are a little light and beat the crap outta you. But are skiable even in those super tough conditions.

Great in bumps and trees thats for sure. Would love something closer to 100mm for everyday though.
Working on the 166cm CT 2.0x from that Quebec dealer that still has 2 pairs. Only 30% off right now and they have 23 Mana and Dancers at the same discounts right now. Will have to ship to me first as they don’t ship to US but I could give them a tune before shipping to you if I get them.

You have the 178cm CT 3.0 would be in the 2100gr range(2200gr on the 184cm, 2340gr on the 190cm), lightweight Attack bindings (1035gr each side) and lightweight Atomic Hawx Boots(1800gr) so nothing is super heavy there.
Switching to Attack 16/17 would gain you 125gr per side and would be more similar to the weight of the heavier Pivots.

Carving skis with plates have about 1500-1600gr plus in the binding setups with the skis alone usually under 2000gr.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Met up with a buddy yesterday who I sold a pair of 183cm CT 1.0 to last week and he had them mounted and had them out the previous day too.
He’s a larger(250lb), high intermediate skier and had him mount -3cm from CT mark. He used to ski an older pair of 182cm Dynastar Speed Zone 12ti skis but showed up one day last year on some youth skis(180cm Menace 90) skis that he “got on a deal” and couldn’t understand why they were so bad for him.
Thought of him right away when the The-House.com deals came last summer on the CT 1.0.

Thought/hoped he would like them and was very happy to hear the raves from not only him but the 4 other friends skiing with him the last 2 days. They all said “he’s never skied better and that “we should stop talking about them or his head is going to get too big!” Haha

He couldn’t believe how stable, quiet, damp they were along with how good the edge grip was on them. He asked me if there was “something special I did to the edges to make them grip so well” and said it was just getting them ground flat first and then hand tuning to 1/2(do 1/3 on all mine).

I skied with that group for an hour or so and had my 184cm CT 3.0 out in the Spring like Conditions. Was told a few times by members of that group that “those skis don’t make sense if you saw them in the lift line Vs how well you ski them on the hill.”

Another satisfied CT customer!

39B75D5A-7332-4FA3-8540-251D02783AF1.jpeg

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday at Blue was the best day of the season so far IMO, I was on my 1.0. I was just loading on the chair at South to head back to the car, then home to Waterloo, and saw you pull in on your 3.0 ( no time to holler Hi to you ). An awesome day for the CT crew !

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had the big “Powder ski demo day” from my own quiver to decide which ski to take with me out West for my month long trip. 183cm CT 2.0 are the perfect daily driver there but found the 190cm Wildcats a lot of work when some tree runs led to firm moguls in spots.

244E9DA4-A8F1-4B5E-BB40-4F5C3B9FCB5D.jpeg

Started with the 184cm CT 3.0(Attack 17/-1.5cm from CT line-about -6.7cm from Center) skis and they are MUCH improved with latest grind/tune to finally get them flat. Gripped the firm snow to start the day and felt very stable and planted while still being fun at lower speeds. Took just a few turns to get used to them Vs the CT 2.0 I was out on Monday.

Switched to the 190cm CT 3.0(Attack 13 mounted -1.25cm from CT or about -6.5cm from Center) next with the longer radius and increased stability very noticeable. Needed a bit more speed to “come alive” Vs the 184cm and felt more serious and a bit less playful. VERY stable and planted ski. Actually has a heavier swing weight than the BO 118 with its longer length, further back mount and thicker side walls near the tip/tail.

Moved to the 186cm Blackops 118(Attack 13 mounted -2.5cm from rec/-5cm from Center) next and you instantly feel the softer tips/tails with rubber damping sucking up vibrations more. They feel more like a 21 CT 2.0 in that regard but feel just like a slightly wider, heavier 184cm CT 3.0 that you’ve “moved the mount up a bit” when it comes to carving and stability. Instantly felt at home on them and felt easier at lower speeds Vs the longer CT 3.0.
The turning radius is definitely in the 21m range like Soothski.com measured and think even the 184cm CT 3.0 is more comfortable going straight. Of course they don’t have the weight(2200gr Vs 2480gr) or damping like the BO 118(or CT 2.0 or CT 1.0) have.
For myself this is perfect as they are all plenty stable at speed but the shorter CT 3.0 or BO 118 don’t require much speed to still be very fun on groomers. Like the CT 3.0 they carve amazing with lots of grip as I have a sharp 1/3 tune on them too after a base grind to flatten them.
My -2.5cm from rec mount felt similar to the CT line on an CT ski and could easily see choosing -3cm to get a bit more stability and float out of them. Initiated turns very easily there and don’t think I’d want to be anymore forward than -2cm from rec on them unless you’re skiing switch very often.

Went to the 190cm 21 Wildcat(Attack 16 mounted -6cm factory rec line) next and instantly felt the lighter weight and decreased damping Vs the BO 118. Also notice the insane stability going straight with its 27m
turn radius and much higher “minimum”
speed to be fun on groomers. Because Moments are catchy unless you only sharpen to the contact points, the decreased edge grip was apparent on firm or marbled groomers Vs the previous skis. These skis were a blast when hauling on groomers but not as fun as the others in bumps or at lower speeds. Flex pattern is the stiffest of the bunch with only the extreme tips/tails softer. Perfect ski for flying through tracked conditions but less forgiving.

So I’m taking the BO 118 with me as it’s the super fun 184cm CT 3.0 that’s wider and heavier but doesn’t feel like it’s much wider or much heavier. Really feels like a 21 CT 3.75 like I had wished.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Working on the 166cm CT 2.0x from that Quebec dealer that still has 2 pairs. Only 30% off right now and they have 23 Mana and Dancers at the same discounts right now. Will have to ship to me first as they don’t ship to US but I could give them a tune before shipping to you if I get them.

You have the 178cm CT 3.0 would be in the 2100gr range(2200gr on the 184cm, 2340gr on the 190cm), lightweight Attack bindings (1035gr each side) and lightweight Atomic Hawx Boots(1800gr) so nothing is super heavy there.
Switching to Attack 16/17 would gain you 125gr per side and would be more similar to the weight of the heavier Pivots.

Carving skis with plates have about 1500-1600gr plus in the binding setups with the skis alone usually under 2000gr.
I reached out to them but never heard back

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
As @Tony Storaro said, he has his own line coming out soon with a 101mm, 111mm and 121mm wide skis coming out. Look similar shaped to the Faction CT line but no idea on exact specs and who is building them.
Interested in the new CT line but the Sender 110 Free has my attention right now (based on newschool and tetongravity convos)

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Interested in the new CT line but the Sender 110 Free has my attention right now (based on newschool and tetongravity convos)
Will be a good 21 CT 3.0 replacement if nothing comes from Candide or anyone else.

Almost identical specs to the 21 CT 3.0 except for rubber damping tip/tail, Air tip and a bit shorter radius because underfoot is a bit narrower. Supposed to be stiffer tip/tail than the BO 118 like the CT 3.0 is too.

Sponsor

Staff online