• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I reached out to them but never heard back
Called them and they will do 40% off($510 CAN) but the shipping “is super expensive to Me” so won’t include that. Checked and it’s $49 CAN to ship so not that expensive. Seem like they aren’t that interested in selling them off….:huh:

I paid less than that with free shipping a year ago.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Called them and they will do 40% off($510 CAN) but the shipping “is super expensive to Me” so won’t include that. Checked and it’s $49 CAN to ship so not that expensive. Seem like they aren’t that interested in selling them off….:huh:

I paid less than that with free shipping a year ago.
Yeah it’s odd haha

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
Had the big “Powder ski demo day” from my own quiver to decide which ski to take with me out West for my month long trip. 183cm CT 2.0 are the perfect daily driver there but found the 190cm Wildcats a lot of work when some tree runs led to firm moguls in spots.

View attachment 191926

Started with the 184cm CT 3.0(Attack 17/-1.5cm from CT line-about -6.7cm from Center) skis and they are MUCH improved with latest grind/tune to finally get them flat. Gripped the firm snow to start the day and felt very stable and planted while still being fun at lower speeds. Took just a few turns to get used to them Vs the CT 2.0 I was out on Monday.

Switched to the 190cm CT 3.0(Attack 13 mounted -1.25cm from CT or about -6.5cm from Center) next with the longer radius and increased stability very noticeable. Needed a bit more speed to “come alive” Vs the 184cm and felt more serious and a bit less playful. VERY stable and planted ski. Actually has a heavier swing weight than the BO 118 with its longer length, further back mount and thicker side walls near the tip/tail.

Moved to the 186cm Blackops 118(Attack 13 mounted -2.5cm from rec/-5cm from Center) next and you instantly feel the softer tips/tails with rubber damping sucking up vibrations more. They feel more like a 21 CT 2.0 in that regard but feel just like a slightly wider, heavier 184cm CT 3.0 that you’ve “moved the mount up a bit” when it comes to carving and stability. Instantly felt at home on them and felt easier at lower speeds Vs the longer CT 3.0.
The turning radius is definitely in the 21m range like Soothski.com measured and think even the 184cm CT 3.0 is more comfortable going straight. Of course they don’t have the weight(2200gr Vs 2480gr) or damping like the BO 118(or CT 2.0 or CT 1.0) have.
For myself this is perfect as they are all plenty stable at speed but the shorter CT 3.0 or BO 118 don’t require much speed to still be very fun on groomers. Like the CT 3.0 they carve amazing with lots of grip as I have a sharp 1/3 tune on them too after a base grind to flatten them.
My -2.5cm from rec mount felt similar to the CT line on an CT ski and could easily see choosing -3cm to get a bit more stability and float out of them. Initiated turns very easily there and don’t think I’d want to be anymore forward than -2cm from rec on them unless you’re skiing switch very often.

Went to the 190cm 21 Wildcat(Attack 16 mounted -6cm factory rec line) next and instantly felt the lighter weight and decreased damping Vs the BO 118. Also notice the insane stability going straight with its 27m
turn radius and much higher “minimum”
speed to be fun on groomers. Because Moments are catchy unless you only sharpen to the contact points, the decreased edge grip was apparent on firm or marbled groomers Vs the previous skis. These skis were a blast when hauling on groomers but not as fun as the others in bumps or at lower speeds. Flex pattern is the stiffest of the bunch with only the extreme tips/tails softer. Perfect ski for flying through tracked conditions but less forgiving.

So I’m taking the BO 118 with me as it’s the super fun 184cm CT 3.0 that’s wider and heavier but doesn’t feel like it’s much wider or much heavier. Really feels like a 21 CT 3.75 like I had wished.
Where were you going again? I know Revy but don't remember where else. Hopefully the colder areas, it's been very warm and sh*t out here for quite some time now. Hope it gets better for ya!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Where were you going again? I know Revy but don't remember where else. Hopefully the colder areas, it's been very warm and sh*t out here for quite some time now. Hope it gets better for ya!
Revy Feb 19-28 and then Banff(Sunshine/Lake Louise/Kicking Horse and maybe Panorama) from Match 1st to 18th.

phil_dirt

Booting up
Skier
Spent a weekend on the CT 1.0s at low tide resorts, and man what a fun ski for firm conditions. Just an absolute blast straight lining groomers going 60mph, throwing it sideways and spraying snow everywhere.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Spent a weekend on the CT 1.0s at low tide resorts, and man what a fun ski for firm conditions. Just an absolute blast straight lining groomers going 60mph, throwing it sideways and spraying snow everywhere.
Hard to believe such a stable ski is still so fun and playful!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Starting to finally show up in stores now, the Rossignol Sender Free 110.
Identical tip width specs, 1mm narrower tail and 2mm narrower underfoot gives a slightly tighter radius than the 184cm 21 CT 3.0. The 191cm version goes 1mm wider on all dimensions for a longer 22m radius that’s again a bit under the 190cm CT 3.0.

So anyone needing a ski similar to the 184cm 21 CT 3.0 but can’t find one, here you go!

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
Can’t wait! Looks like they are getting some well needed snow the next 2 weeks if the forecasts are correct. Fingers crossed!
I know Lake Louise is looking decent right now. Too bad you are going to just miss the Freeride World Tour @ Kicking Horse, I really want to go but probably won't be able to swing it.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Starting to finally show up in stores now, the Rossignol Sender Free 110.
Identical tip width specs, 1mm narrower tail and 2mm narrower underfoot gives a slightly tighter radius than the 184cm 21 CT 3.0. The 191cm version goes 1mm wider on all dimensions for a longer 22m radius that’s again a bit under the 190cm CT 3.0.

So anyone needing a ski similar to the 184cm 21 CT 3.0 but can’t find one, here you go!

Got to check one out in Truckee at Tahoe Sports Hub. Very very interested but holding off for now since I just got the CT3.0 184.

Blister did a flash review on it. Looks like the 110 free is the ski Luke was talking about testing at Snowbird last season
"So, how does the Sender Free 110 ski? In short, it’s a lot like a Blackops 118, with a bit of the Sender 106 Ti+ mixed in. It’s more of the former than the latter, though."

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Got to check one out in Truckee at Tahoe Sports Hub. Very very interested but holding off for now since I just got the CT3.0 184.

Blister did a flash review on it. Looks like the 110 free is the ski Luke was talking about testing at Snowbird last season
"So, how does the Sender Free 110 ski? In short, it’s a lot like a Blackops 118, with a bit of the Sender 106 Ti+ mixed in. It’s more of the former than the latter, though."
Saw the Blister measurements page on them too and very similar specs to the 21 CT 3.0 it looks like. VERY progressive rec mount of -3.5cm from Center with their -2cm directional mark being similar to where the CT 3.0 CT mark is.

See Powder7 has a review on them too and there was another retailer with a video review of them too.

Glad there is another great option it looks like in that width range and happy I don’t need to search out backups on my 21 CT 3.0 with these out now.

Now we just need someone to finally make some 90mm and 100mm with weight similar to the 21 CT!

Going to be on my CT 3.0 in the sunny, Spring Conditions tomorrow.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was telling Greg via text the other day ( and @graham418 yesterday ) that my CT 1.0 are a quiver killer. As we finally got a good couple dumpings of new snow our way, I am liking them more and more in the expanded conditions we have. My 2023 K2 89ti are going up for sale as they offering nothing to me over the CT. I was just on my previous Fischer RC One 82GT for a few laps ( gave them to our son last season ) and as much as I liked them previously, they won't be under my feet any time soon. Still a great ski for my 25 yo son to develop on.

It is tough to give up the CT's Cadillac ride, great edge-hold, and versatility. Though I can see some thinking they are heavy underfoot ( heavier swing-weight ) depending on one's style and speed preference.

If it wasn't -17* C right now, I'd let @graham418 get on them today. He is much more technically sound than me and skis a bit slower, so curious to get his impressions on them too.

My quiver is in my signature below -> a 72, 92, 102
I really have no "real need" to buy anything else as the CT makes a low 80's all-mountain kinda redundant for me. I keep trying to convince myself I need a real SL ski, but don't think that's my jam. To play around with, a Fischer Curv GT is on my radar ( 76 wide ) and I'll probably dabble in low-80s all-mountain anyway just to satisfy the buy & try urges. :thumb:
I skied my Liberty V76 165cm yesterday at Copper. Conditions were chalky off piste and in the bumps, pretty firm on the groomers. The V76 got knocked around a fair amount off piste especially at higher speeds. On the few groomers I did ski I didn't feel any significantly improved performance over my the Factions. I was wishing I was on my CT 1.0 most of the day. I'll have to do a more back to back comparison but indeed, might be putting my beloved V76 up for sale soon. Damn you @GregK. Now I'm feeling like I should have bought a couple pairs of CT 1.0 when I had the chance.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was wishing I was on my CT 1.0 most of the day.
That’s what I discovered with my first pair of 21 CT skis but skied something else that day! So I just bought them all! Haha

Your comment about being easy off piste and in bumps yet rip on groomers again confirms my suspicions about others with tune issues on these when they are saying they are heavy or difficult there. They instead search for other similar width skis that will be a let down in comparison to a properly tuned CT 1.0.

Having tried and owned MANY skis out there, I realize how special and unique these skis are, especially with the CT 1.0 which have almost no current comparable skis.
Trust me when I say a $50-60 grind in tune on these skis put them in rare company and much cheaper in the end to trying other skis!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied my Liberty V76 165cm yesterday at Copper. Conditions were chalky off piste and in the bumps, pretty firm on the groomers. The V76 got knocked around a fair amount off piste especially at higher speeds. On the few groomers I did ski I didn't feel any significantly improved performance over my the Factions. I was wishing I was on my CT 1.0 most of the day. I'll have to do a more back to back comparison but indeed, might be putting my beloved V76 up for sale soon. Damn you @GregK. Now I'm feeling like I should have bought a couple pairs of CT 1.0 when I had the chance.

All I can say is there is a damn good reason the 21 CT 1.0 is the only ski I have two identical pairs of-one I ski and one as back up.I have many skis that are better carvers, better cruisers, better on ice and steep, better in powder (when I see some) but the CTs are the overall winner all things considered.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I have to agree. My '21 CT 1.0 were obviously railed when first skied, had a grind/tune at my go-to shop and they're now superb. Not in the room with most of you as a skier, but these certainly make me feel closer to becoming one.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Love the versatility of the CT line too! Never out of place regardless of the conditions. Today is just below freezing to start out but above freezing by 10am and will be cruddy by 11am with heavy, Spring like conditions. Skiing the 184cm CT 3.0 which will rip the firmer groomers to start the day and be a riot later on.

Don’t have to be a superstar skiing to ski the CT line but makes you feel like one!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had both the CT 3.0 out yesterday in a Spring Day that was firm to start and then heavy crud soon after. Skied the 184cm in the morning and switched to the 190cm after lunch. Both were very good in those conditions with the 190cm being a bit less playful but more stable with even better grip on the firm underneath surface.
As long as you kept them on edge and drove them, they were both great going through heavy crud at 40mph plus all day.

Groomers an hour after opening and by the afternoon.

7E29F993-1BDD-4A90-B2D5-B126EBD3F637.jpeg

15016B07-58D4-47D3-B278-B5374F2A8F88.jpeg

@EG-NJ will be happy to know those side run moguls were freshened up by the groomer and were skiing much better today. Firm to start but soft soon after. 184cm were easier but still was able to ski them easily with my 190cm 112mm CT 3.0.

EC8370F2-4D19-41EB-93E9-9572DB543D49.jpeg

Also ran into the kid today I sold my extra pair of Prodigy 1 skis that I got for a buddy but ended up finding a pair of 21 CT 1.0 for him instead. He was loving the Prodigy 1 for the park.

8CF72473-ABC7-406D-9FA2-AAE62D61E0DA.jpeg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All I can say looking at these pics is-if I had something like this, I’d straight-line the hell out of it time after time untill they kick me out for speeding. :roflmao:

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
All I can say looking at these pics is-if I had something like this, I’d straight-line the hell out of it time after time untill they kick me out for speeding. :roflmao:
Always immaculate grooming to start the day on that hill so we always hit a side run for some speed runs first thing when not another sole is on the entire run.
The ones that aren’t fast were runs that had people on the runs so I actually turned at a safe distance from others.

40A80093-B8A9-4F70-9A71-953ABBF99E85.png