• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Always immaculate grooming to start the day on that hill so we always hit a side run for some speed runs first thing when not another sole is on the entire run.
The ones that aren’t fast were runs that had people on the runs so I actually turned at a safe distance from others.

View attachment 192678

LOL..93.5 km/h at 9.02 am, my maaan! :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
LOL..93.5 km/h at 9.02 am, my maaan! :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:
Was disappointed as I had to “pull the parachute” early on that run as a saw a person about to merge from another run 300m down or else I think I might have been closer to triple digits. Lol

At 9:02am I had been up for about 6 hours! On the road at 4:30am, hill at 8am, skiing till 3pm, drive 3.5 hours home, wash and gas up the car, unload and dry off all the gear. Did 2 loads of laundry when I got home and jobs around the house after, so a typical 19 hour ski day……:doh:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied CT 1.0 today, by randomness, yeah they are good.

no idea what I did with them since last i skied, but we had straight ice with moguls of misc conditions, some superhard, some slush, all were hooky as hell... ohh and you couldnt see your skis due to fog and fog rain.

they were about 10x better than deacon 84 today, they were dull and hoooky

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
Finally. Skied 3 days on surprisingly good man-made coverage and conditions in the Poconos and Catskills this week.

At 5'8" and 145 lbs, my 172cm CT 1.0 mounted at -1.25 are ridiculously nimble yet stable at speed on hardpack, frozen granular and shallow soft stuff. The 17m radius carves tight slalom turns effortlessly even at slow speeds, including hard and soft bumps. Tree skiing wasn't available but should be fine since they pivot on a dime.

I need to be over the tips a bit more on landings, steeps and bumps than the slightly longer and more center-mounted SFBs to stay out of the backseat, but that's just a minor stance adjustment which still feels intuitive. I could tell that in deepish powder or slush they will be more limiting than the SFBs but that comes as no surprise or concern.

Don't know if mounting a bit forward or back would be an improvement but don't care since they work fine as-is. I probably could handle the 178cm mounted on the line but don't feel these are too short and prefer the better maneuverability.

So overall kudos to GregK for his spot-on guidance. And once again thanks to all for your insights.

Attachments

• 20230214_123720.jpg
    20230214_123720.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 13
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Finally. Skied 3 days on surprisingly good man-made coverage and conditions in the Poconos and Catskills this week.

At 5'8" and 145 lbs, my 172cm CT 1.0 mounted at -1.25 are ridiculously nimble yet stable at speed on hardpack, frozen granular and shallow soft stuff. The 17m radius carves tight slalom turns effortlessly even at slow speeds, including hard and soft bumps. Tree skiing wasn't available but should be fine since they pivot on a dime.

I need to be over the tips a bit more on landings, steeps and bumps than the slightly longer and more center-mounted SFBs to stay out of the backseat, but that's just a minor stance adjustment which still feels intuitive. I could tell that in deepish powder or slush they will be more limiting than the SFBs but that comes as no surprise or concern.

Don't know if mounting a bit forward or back would be an improvement but don't care since they work fine as-is. I probably could handle the 178cm mounted on the line but don't feel these are too short and prefer the better maneuverability.

So overall kudos to GregK for his spot-on guidance. And once again thanks to all for your insights.
Glad you finally got out skiing on them! I’m sure they will be even better with more data on them and especially when you get them off piste.
Like the white bindings on them too. Those bindings would look great on some 21 CT 3.0 skis…..

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
I suspect they won't be as impressive off piste given the length, width, mount and rocker profile. They were capable in shallow slush but I could feel they were a touch less solid. That's why I'll keep the SFBs, which are bulletproof off piste. The 1.0 have better bite and insanely short carves which make groomers fun again. That's why I bought them and they have exceeded expectations.

My favorite moment was when I had picked up speed to pop a jump off a ridge while traversing towards a different trail. At the peak I finally could see that the area between the two trails was just dirt for several hundred feet. So at that last split second I aborted with a 120 degree carve back onto the current slope and just burst out laughing at how instantaneously responsive they are. I can't imagine ever skiing anything narrower since what's the point?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I suspect they won't be as impressive off piste given the length, width, mount and rocker profile
Was thinking the more typical East Coast firm glades which are pretty much like mogul runs. Once there is some new snow on the ground, I’d be grabbing the SFB too.

“I can't imagine ever skiing anything narrower since what's the point?”

Only refrozen groomers where it’s going to be cold all day and they don’t ever soften or days where I’m skiing against a strong wind are the only days I’d grab my narrower and tighter radius Firebirds. Continually surprised at the grip of the CT 1.0(or any CT) now that all their tunes are perfected.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Was disappointed as I had to “pull the parachute” early on that run as a saw a person about to merge from another run 300m down or else I think I might have been closer to triple digits. Lol

At 9:02am I had been up for about 6 hours! On the road at 4:30am, hill at 8am, skiing till 3pm, drive 3.5 hours home, wash and gas up the car, unload and dry off all the gear. Did 2 loads of laundry when I got home and jobs around the house after, so a typical 19 hour ski day……:doh:
I think I got too fat over the holidays, I cant seem to break 55 mph this year no matter how hard I try. Last two years, I could cross 58 without too much effort.

And damn Greg, already spring conditions out there? We are still in the dead of winter lol

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think I got too fat over the holidays, I cant seem to break 55 mph this year no matter how hard I try. Last two years, I could cross 58 without too much effort.

And damn Greg, already spring conditions out there? We are still in the dead of winter lol
Don’t you mean “too light” or maybe you’re less aerodynamic now? Haha

Yo-yo weather this year with 4degrees that day and now it’s lightly snowing and “feels like 5 degrees” out. :doh:

Leaving for Revelstoke then Banff tomorrow so I should be skiing some powder at a real hill on Monday! Can’t wait!!!

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier

Yo-yo weather this year with 4degrees that day and now it’s lightly snowing and “feels like 5 degrees” out. :doh:

Leaving for Revelstoke then Banff tomorrow so I should be skiing some powder at a real hill on Monday! Can’t wait!!!
Cheers have a great trip!

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier

Have a great time. I'm heading up to the Eastern Townships with my friends and their kids to avoid the US school holiday crowds. Hopefully they see a few much needed inches as well. Cheers.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I suspect they won't be as impressive off piste given the length, width, mount and rocker profile. They were capable in shallow slush but I could feel they were a touch less solid. That's why I'll keep the SFBs, which are bulletproof off piste. The 1.0 have better bite and insanely short carves which make groomers fun again. That's why I bought them and they have exceeded expectations.

My favorite moment was when I had picked up speed to pop a jump off a ridge while traversing towards a different trail. At the peak I finally could see that the area between the two trails was just dirt for several hundred feet. So at that last split second I aborted with a 120 degree carve back onto the current slope and just burst out laughing at how instantaneously responsive they are. I can't imagine ever skiing anything narrower since what's the point?

Whoa…hold on here, let’s not get carried away shall we:much as I love my CTs they are no match for a true skinny stiff carving ski on hard snow.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
spent the day on 68mm. best day of the year, think it beat my pow days. bluebird & firm & 0 lift line with people gone for winter holiday to bigger mountains, 25000 feet of vert at 29 degree incline in 3 hours ish :D

spent 12 mins to resort, 18 home, now get to entertain guests the rest of the day

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
spent the day on 68mm. best day of the year, think it beat my pow days. bluebird & firm & 0 lift line with people gone for winter holiday to bigger mountains, 25000 feet of vert at 29 degree incline in 3 hours ish :D

spent 12 mins to resort, 18 home, now get to entertain guests the rest of the day

#Me too, best morning this year, them WRTP are BEASTS. The afternoon-on the CT 1.0 as it got slushy and crowded

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Hi Everyone, I have a question about the current Agent and Dancer series - do they have a similar/identical shape and sidecut? My understanding that Agent and Dancer have a similar shape and sidecut and the only difference is the addition of metal in Dancer?

I am interested in Dancer 1 178 cm for my all-mountain ski, it needs to do well in bumps and manky/chalky off piste snow, steep bumps and trees when it has not snowed in a while. I am a 6'1" 180 pounds advanced female skier, can ski fast on groomers, but I am usually in bumps and trees when they are available or when I am skiing out West (several out West trips per season).

I am wondering if Dancer 1 in 178 cm could be a good fit for me for no new snow, off piste out West skiing? My guess is Agent 1 may be not quite enough of a ski for a person my size? Any thoughts?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hi Everyone, I have a question about the current Agent and Dancer series - do they have a similar/identical shape and sidecut? My understanding that Agent and Dancer have a similar shape and sidecut and the only difference is the addition of metal in Dancer?

I am interested in Dancer 1 178 cm for my all-mountain ski, it needs to do well in bumps and manky/chalky off piste snow, steep bumps and trees when it has not snowed in a while. I am a 6'1" 180 pounds advanced female skier, can ski fast on groomers, but I am usually in bumps and trees when they are available or when I am skiing out West (several out West trips per season).

I am wondering if Dancer 1 in 178 cm could be a good fit for me for no new snow, off piste out West skiing? My guess is Agent 1 may be not quite enough of a ski for a person my size? Any thoughts?
Yes, the Dancer(or last years Dictator which is the same ski) is the same shape as the Agent but with 2 thin sheets of metal. Similar longitudinal flex but stiffer torsionally on the Dancer/22 Dictator and about 200gr more weight but they are still light skis Vs most with metal.
A ski that’s light on their feet, good edge grip and not demanding at all. Perfect bump ski!
Would only recommend the Agent 1.0 to someone doing touring as the Dancer series is still very light.

The 1.0 would have less rocker so they don’t ski super short so the 178cm would be the correct size unless you ski fast or are more aggressive when the 186cm would be the better bet. Still a light ski so don’t be afraid to put some substantial bindings on them to help dampen more. I’d move the pretty traditional mount up/forward 1.5cm to the “progressive” mount as it will be more playful yet still stable there.

Have seen deals on Dancer 1.0 in Canada already with Spring sales but if you see 22 Dictators on even better deals, they are the same ski so jump on them.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Saw lots of Faction skis at Revelstoke today including a few 21 CT 3.0 and CT 3.0x. One guy I went up the gondola with also had Faction ski poles and asked if he had any skis too as he was skiing ARV 116 Armada skis. Said he’s been on the hunt “for 6 months” of the 22 CT 2.0 and he didn’t realize the 23 Mana 2 was the same ski. Told him the 21 CT 2.0 is what he wants and he said “no, those are the heavy ones” and I said yes, which is a good thing! Lol

Was on my Blackops 118 all day and they are definitely easier than my 190cm Wildcats in the trees/bumps but more work than the CT 3.0. The rough afternoon groomers were great with the Blackops though. Did get a few edge hits that I will have to correct tonight but no base damage at least.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How are the conditions at Revelstoke?

I have my CT 1 & 3 all mounted up and ready to ski after a SkiMD tune. Planning to get them out later this week after we get some snow. I did get a couple of days out west on my 190 Bibby Pro's. I liked em but they took some effort to ski them in the trees and moguls. I was weak from COVID, so not the best ski to use in my condition.

Sponsor