• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yesterday was interestng, 10cm of snow +7c at day and bluebird, so even more in the sun, at night it froze, very few people in hill since its a week holiday and most goto bigger mountains

figured hey, grabmy CT 1.0, and while they were good, I think I'm just to tall/fat to really shred, anything over 78kmh felt shady, it was of course bumpy and and starting to freeze, the new slow was also slow/grabby where it had not been skied. and while it was good in the bumps, I felt like I was going over the handlebars a lot, they were also getting pushed/thrown around on the refrezing bumps & tracks.

grabbed 102 FR 191, never looked back, so perfect. even when moguls froze to ice. even at 90 flapping around they felt solid, and bases are for some reason faster, sadly much slower edge to edge, and less edgegrip, but could compensate with more edge angle since its alarger radius ski

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
How are the conditions at Revelstoke?
Like lots of places out West in Canada it’s been a below average snowfall year but they got some snow the last few weeks and last weekend. Glades/trees were awesome and will be incredible today.

Did this on my first “easy day” out west on 2500gr Blackops 118 skiing mostly glades…..lol

F5DC90D0-0080-44C2-A66B-908C3CB07AD7.png
CD9DC3CD-2368-4535-B921-78ACF8466F8C.jpeg
43624DE9-C6DC-4A60-9185-1D2B736CC58E.jpeg
46E3A038-EF03-4203-BB71-A229A1C1A8AA.jpeg

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
grabbed 102 FR 191, never looked back,
190cm CT 3.0 or the 188cm CT 2.0(if you finally moved the mount back yet) would have been the better choices there over the shorter CT 1.0 in refrozen crud at your size. Your new Blackops(either one) would have been even better.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like lots of places out West in Canada it’s been a below average snowfall year but they got some snow the last few weeks and last weekend. Glades/trees were awesome and will be incredible today.

Did this on my first “easy day” out west on 2500gr Blackops 118 skiing mostly glades…..lol

View attachment 193412 View attachment 193414 View attachment 193415 View attachment 193416

I'll file an official complaint with our authorities. The resort management never leaves snow like that. Ever. The bastards.

And how come you have the trees so nicely spaced with no undergrowth between them. Here they are much denser with all kind of shrubs and stuff in there that makes them unskiable...
This is bloody unfair!

20 runs only? You are losing form man...

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'll file an official complaint with our authorities. The resort management never leaves snow like that. Ever. The bastards.

And how come you have the trees so nicely spaced with no undergrowth between them. Here they are much denser with all kind of shrubs and stuff in there that makes them unskiable...
This is bloody unfair!

20 runs only? You are losing form man...
Haha! Highest vertical in North America at 5620ft vertical top to bottom so you get slightly fewer runs than when it’s under 500ft of vert…..haha

Trees are awesome here and another thing at Revelstoke is far few rocks in those trees. Usually hit the odd branch which is far more friendly! There was 20cm/8” overnight today but I’m sure there will be over a foot in the trees of fresh today! Will be skiing in 1.5 hours in there again!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Last run yesterday but forgot to turn it off at the bottom so got an extra 200’ vert of walking. 5620ft of mostly glades with some groomer sections within there.

97ADD68B-781C-45F0-A20D-8844E144CF73.png

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another day on the Blackops 118 at Revelstoke with about 8” plus overnight but much deeper in wind blown sections. Due to huge lift lines, didn’t get much untracked snow so again had fun in the glades most of the day. BO 118 were great in the tracked snow but the CT 3.0 would have been even more fun there.

Saw a set of the Sender Free 110 in the lift line and was going to ask about them until I noticed the Red Bull stickers on the helmet and other sponsor slickers on them along with the film guy and realized he was one of a few pro skiers out on a film shoot. Figured he would say he likes the skis he’s getting paid to ski……:roflmao:

Going to ski the 183cm CT 2.0 tomorrow and I bet they will feel super light and playful as they are “only” 2300gr before bindings.

Pics of the glades for @Tony Storaro this morning. Your new 184cm CT 3.0 would have been perfect!

84BEE1EA-5693-4B25-9708-F5B3F1481040.jpeg

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another day on the Blackops 118 at Revelstoke with about 8” plus overnight but much deeper in wind blown sections. Due to huge lift lines, didn’t get much untracked snow so again had fun in the glades most of the day. BO 118 were great in the tracked snow but the CT 3.0 would have been even more fun there.

View attachment 193507

Looks a lot like what I was skiing in Utah before covid struck me down..........

IMG_20230122_115746192_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230122_115805892_HDR.jpg

phil_dirt

Booting up
Skier
I mounted my 3.0s on the line (couple mm in front due to previous holes). They sort feel like the tail is a bit much and I feel like I'm backseat on em more that I want. Should I be mounting them -15mm, or -20?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I mounted my 3.0s on the line (couple mm in front due to previous holes). They sort feel like the tail is a bit much and I feel like I'm backseat on em more that I want. Should I be mounting them -15mm, or -20?
CT 3.0? If so, the CT triangle is usually only used by those who often ski switch and ski with a forward only stance. -1.5cm back gets you the ability to ski Centered or drive the ski(progressive mount). And -3cm back is the traditional mount on those for those that mostly ski with a forward stance and want to maximize float.

-1.5cm to -3cm back are where most of us on here are skiing them.
What’s your size and what length of CT 3.0 do you have? You may want to move them within that range depending on your size and the ski length.

phil_dirt

Booting up
Skier
I'm 6', 180lbs, skiing a 184 ct 3.0, would like to move them back 1.5cm, but I've got some holes to deal with. I may go the dowel + epoxy route and then use inserts.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm 6', 180lbs, skiing a 184 ct 3.0, would like to move them back 1.5cm, but I've got some holes to deal with. I may go the dowel + epoxy route and then use inserts.
Around -1.5cm to -2.5cm would be golden depending on existing holes but you’d be fine anywhere within that range.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
First day on my 183cm 21 CT 2.0 of the Revelstoke trip as it didn’t snow overnight. Very cold so the snow is still pretty light off trail. Instantly felt comfortable going from the Blackops 118 to them as they feel exactly like a narrower version of them. Did some fast groomer laps to start the day with some older locals who had their carvers out and then went into the trees. Just a lower “minimum speed” to be fun carving and similar turning radius. A little less surfy in the trees vs the BO 118 or the CT 3.0.
Definitely faster edge to edge and lighter on their feet but very similar feel. Actually much more of a “Narrow Blackops 118” than the 300gr lighter BO 98 is.

Saw this sweet pair of Factions outside the warming hut yesterday.
F4D1C3A5-E29D-4B05-8EF0-12E42C13C55B.jpeg

Trees still skiing great

1E95E867-D5CB-4835-AACD-7FB1BE7B7E6A.jpeg

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier

Saw a set of the Sender Free 110 in the lift line and was going to ask about them until I noticed the Red Bull stickers on the helmet and other sponsor slickers on them along with the film guy and realized he was one of a few pro skiers out on a film shoot. Figured he would say he likes the skis he’s getting paid to ski……:roflmao:

Going to ski the 183cm CT 2.0 tomorrow and I bet they will feel super light and playful as they are “only” 2300gr before bindings.

Pics of the glades for @Tony Storaro this morning. Your new 184cm CT 3.0 would have been perfect!

View attachment 193507
Damn those glades look juicy.

Nicely spaced trees, excellent

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Damn those glades look juicy.

Nicely spaced trees, excellent
Some are VERY tight and steep here and skied them yesterday as well. Like being in a banked bobsled run on some with blind corners that are tough even with shorter, narrow skis.
Surfier skis like an 182cm MFree 108 or MFree 99 would be easier but then wouldn’t be as good on the groomers. CT skis are a pretty good comprise here and will get more practice on the BO 118 on Saturday to Monday as we are supposed another 8-12” this weekend.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Some are VERY tight and steep here and skied them yesterday as well. Like being in a banked bobsled run on some with blind corners that are tough even with shorter, narrow skis.
Surfier skis like an 182cm MFree 108 or MFree 99 would be easier but then wouldn’t be as good on the groomers. CT skis are a pretty good comprise here and will get more practice on the BO 118 on Saturday to Monday as we are supposed another 8-12” this weekend.
Yeah trees out here are generally tight. My new goal is to grab some M Pro Riders. I want something to haul ass over variable conditions in wide open wind blown steep bowls.

I love the 3.0s for pretty much everything, but so long ass, stiff, stout heavy boards would nice for stuff like that

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah trees out here are generally tight. My new goal is to grab some M Pro Riders. I want something to haul ass over variable conditions in wide open wind blown steep bowls.

I love the 3.0s for pretty much everything, but so long ass, stiff, stout heavy boards would nice for stuff like that
You would die of shock how stable the 190cm CT 3.0 are! 2 big steps up in stability over the 178cm. Still wishing I brought my 184cm CT 3.0 for Revelstoke but the BO 118 is more damp on rough terrain. 190cm CT 3.0 even more stable but not quite as damp.

For your size, the 186cm Blackops 118 suck up crud very well but don’t require as much speed as the Pro Riders. This year the MPro 108 is a bit more user friendly and comes in shorter lengths too.
Moments aren’t quite as damp but with their high turn radius and large tip splay, they haul over variable with ease. The 22 and 23 moment skis have heavier tip/tail spacers so even more damp than my 21 Wildcats.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
You would die of shock how stable the 190cm CT 3.0 are! 2 big steps up in stability over the 178cm. Still wishing I brought my 184cm CT 3.0 for Revelstoke but the BO 118 is more damp on rough terrain. 190cm CT 3.0 even more stable but not quite as damp.

For your size, the 186cm Blackops 118 suck up crud very well but don’t require as much speed as the Pro Riders. This year the MPro 108 is a bit more user friendly and comes in shorter lengths too.
Moments aren’t quite as damp but with their high turn radius and large tip splay, they haul over variable with ease. The 22 and 23 moment skis have heavier tip/tail spacers so even more damp than my 21 Wildcats.
Looks like I need some 190 3.0s. I looked long and hard for some Black Ops 118s (@ski otter 2 had me sold on these), but could not find any. I truly love the 3.0s especially when it is soft or chopped.

I will be on the 3.0s all weekend in the conditions I mentioned. Last week I honestly loved the Rossi EXP 88s in some crazy conditions, especially the stiff tail. This week the 3.0s will be the only boards I run. One thing for sure, Im glad my only ski isn’t my 66mm Stocklis hahahaha

Anyone over gun and looking to bail/sell some 190s or trade for some 178 3.0xs?