• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The 2021 Faction Candide series have gone through a major change in construction, sidecut and build quality this year. Those who would normally overlook a “twin tip park/freestyle” ski like this might be missing out as their versatility and performance is now comparable to many reference skis in their widths.

Faction has moved all their ski construction into the Fisher ski plant increasing build quality and significantly improving the consistency of their products. They have always had a reputation for fun, playful skis that were loved in freestyle circles but stories of broken skis were common. Faction had(and still have) a 2 year warranty even with the Candide park skis and they seemed to happily replace any defective skis. Have not heard of any issues with the 2021 versions.

For 2021 the Candide line has been updated with heavier wood cores, much stiffer overall flex, new sidecuts and extra dampening materials. The quality of construction is MILES better than before and the skis factory tune much more in line with the industry leaders. Models have gained 200-400grams vs last years versions. Mild tip/tail taper so they still have good edge grip and longer turning radius for more stability. The Candide line is now more aimed at aggressive, all mountain skiers that want a ski more playful than a traditional charger.

All Candide models are still fairly symmetrical in sidecut, so the recommended “Candide mount point” is closer to center. The narrower, more symmetrical skis like the CT 1.0 are only a few cm back of center for their mounting point. The skis get more directional as they get wider. All models -rocker/camber/rocker with a twin tip.

The factory Candide mount point is for those who mostly ski in the terrain park, ski switch and have a more centered stance. If you wanted a more playful “all mountain freestyle” feel and like the ability to drive your skis more, then you measure back 1.5cm(like I did) for the “progressive” mount point. If you’re used to more traditional mounts and have never INTENTIONALLY skied backwards, ski with a more forward stance and wanted the best carving performance, you would measure back 3.0cm from the Candide mark for the “traditional” mount point.

On all other Faction skis, the recommended factory mount is the “traditional” line and you move the mount FORWARD 1.5cm to the Progressive or 3cm forward to the “New School/Candide” line.

51yr old, 6’2”/175lbs expert that likes to ski fast if the conditions allow. Enjoy high speed carving as much as getting air on side hits.

Candide 2.0 183cm-Dimensions 131/102/127mm, 20m radius, 2280gr each, Candide line -3.5cm from center(I’m 5cm back or “progressive” mount), 1/2 factory edge tune that I changed to 1/3.

I got the 183cm CT 2.0 this year on a deal from a local rep thinking if I didn’t like it, I’d sell it and be even. The factory tune wasn’t awful but it was a bit edge high so I got it stone ground and reset the edges with a 1/3 tune vs the 1/2 factory tune. Sharp tip/tail with rounding above the taper points to reduce top sheet damage. The tip/tail are semi cap to protect from damage and the top sheet as a rough finish that helps them from looking scratched. Faction added an additional titanal plate above the base underfoot in the 1.0 and 2.0 to decrease rail damage in the park but it adds some dampening too. Titanal plate for binding retention as well on all Candide models.

The ski has a similar weight and flex to the 183cm 2021 Bonifide 97 but has rubber damping tip/tail/underfoot, so it’s like an even quieter Bonafide 97 that’s a twin tip. Still playful in bumps and trees and a 20m radius so doesn’t mind going straight at speed too. Similar feel to the 187cm Dynastar Menace 98 but with a more versatile turn radius and easier to ski off piste.

Carves very well at all speeds with great edge grip. Even flex pattern tip to tail in-between the flex of the softer Enforcer 104 and slightly stiffer Fisher 102 FR. Sold my Enforcer 104 and Fisher 102 FR as the CT 2.0 was a nice blend of the carving ability of the Fisher with even better suspension and dampening than the Enforcer 104. Not as loose in the tail as the Enforcer 104 and more similar to the Fisher 102 in that regard.

Not the greatest float for it’s 102mm width with it’s narrow tip and not as light on it’s feet as the Fisher 102 FR. Very tank like through rough terrain with it’s weight, dampening and flex designed to ski fast and aggressively. Will use it for my daily driver for trips out west. Great in afternoon crud and Spring snow.

Candide 3.0 184cm-Dimensions 140/112/134mm, 21m radius, 2210 grams each, Candide line -5.2cm from center(I’m-6.7cm back) and 1/2 edge tune that I kept.

I liked the 2.0 so much I got the 3.0! Like the 2.0 it added a heavier wood(poplar) core this year and got stiffer flex tip/tail vs the lighter(250 grams) 2020 version. Loses the extra rubber damping of the 1.0 and 2.0 as well as the extra titanal sheet above the base for rail protection but still fairly damp with good suspension. Slightly stiffer than the 2.0 but similar, even throughout flex pattern. Factory tune was pretty good with no stone grind required and just a touch up on the edges.

SHOCKINGLY good grip and carving ability for it’s width and yet it’s an absolute blast in moguls and tight trees. I’ve used this ski in firm mornings that turn into heavy crud afternoons and it was fantastic. More tip/tail rocker and splay than CT 2.0 so it’s even better at going over rough terrain. The turning radius of 21m is pretty versatile at all speeds and has no problem going straight at high speeds.

Reminds me a lot of the 192cm MFree 108 but easier to manage in really tight spots for my 6’2”/175lb size and it’s a more powerful carver. The 190cm CT 3.0 version goes to 23m radius and adds another 50-100grams or so of weight. Could see a lot of Rustler 11 fans who want a beefier ski without much weight gain liking this ski as well as Enforcer 110 fans that a higher top end and better carving ability.

Candide 1.0 183 cm 122/92/120mm, 20m radius, 2200 grams each, -2cm Candide line(I’m -4cm) and 1/2 factory tune changed to 1/3.

The most symmetrical shape of the group and the stiffest by a hair over the CT 3.0. It has the rubber dampening tip/tail/underfoot like the 2.0 along with extra titanal sheet above the base. Least amount of rocker tip/tail and not much taper so it should have great edge grip. Another very flat base from the factory that just needed some edge tuning.

Haven’t been able to ski these year but with their very similar shapes, weight and flex to the other 2 Candide models it should ski very similar.
The flex is noticeably stiffer than my 184cm Kendo 88s and the CT 1.0 is 200 grams heavier. The CT 1.0 has a similar weight, lack of tip/tail taper and flex to the 183cm Brahma 88 with even more dampening and less carbon so it should be very quiet on hard snow like the CT 2.0. The CT 1.0 should be even more playful and easy to pivot than an Enforcer 88 but more comfortable at speed with it’s longer turning radius and quieter on the snow.
Should be more stable with better edge grip than skis like a JSkis Master Blaster and more solid feeling than the much lighter Fisher Ranger 94 FR or Rustler 9.

Like the Candide 2.0, the 1.0 isn’t going to have the greatest float for it’s width with it’s narrower tip. They all have a “wide gs ski” shape that sacrifice float for being quick edge to edge and stability at speed.

So if you’re someone that wants a solid, damp ski that seems to get better the more aggressive you ski, definitely check out the 2021 Candide line up. Even if you loved or hated previous Faction skis, these are so different they are worth a look. Playful skis that charge and carve better than a twin tip has any right too!

Left to Right-Candide 3.0, 2.0 and 1.0 with rocker profile. Ignore the red Summer wax.;)

BED95881-7043-4F17-870B-B6107C06BEEE.jpeg

E507D62D-DA44-40CA-B30F-67731DDDDC29.jpeg
3522DC11-7017-41CA-8C11-9C44AAE390BD.jpeg

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
It has been announced that Faction is once again moving it’s production facility for the 2022 model year from Fisher to Amer Sports. While it is another very good manufacturing plant, the builds on the Faction Candide line are changing for 2022 and dropping weight significantly.

The 2022 CT 1.0 goes to 120/88/112mm vs the 122/92/120mm of the 2021 but the big change is the weight is dropping to 1750gr in the 178cm vs 2150gr in the 2021 version.

The 2022 CT 2.0 has the same dimensions as the 2021 version but again drops 400grams in weight on the 183cm version. The 2022 CT 3.0 again with the same dimensions but dropping 200gr so it will be similar to 2020 levels.

So, it looks like a return to the lighter, more playful versions of the Candide line for 2022. So jump on the Spring deals of 2021 versions if you wanted some playful skis that can still charge.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will be stocking up on 2021 models.... will also write some words, currently own 2x 2.0 1x 3.0 and 1x 5.0 out of the 2021, will get a 1.0 as well.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good to know. Sheesh. Just when I was looking forward to demoing the 2.0 and 3.0 next season, for serious consideration, if the demo days return..... Oh, well.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Good to know. Sheesh. Just when I was looking forward to demoing the 2.0 and 3.0 next season, for serious consideration, if the demo days return..... Oh, well.

Was disappointed when I saw the 2022 weights. Finally make a ski line that I really like and then change it after 1 year. Grrrr

Thinking the forthcoming Black Ops 110mm twin might be another surprise ski in that width if it takes lots of cues from the Black Ops Gamer/118.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll watch for that 110 now.

Are you sure the Black Ops Sender Squad 112 isn't already a ski you might like, if you like surprise chargers? (The only reason I haven't bought it is it encourages me to ski faster than I want to at my age, you see. It is so stable, strong and easily controlled at speed, more so than even an FIS GS 188/30 race ski, in the right conditions. Maybe not what one would have expected.)

The Gamer 118 turns out to be very different than I had thought also, now that I've owned it for two years (from the Vail ski swap), and finally skied it a fair amount this year. Yes, it is solid, strong, smooth and tank-like through most obstacles and crud as well as most powder. But, it's shorter than stated: it's only about 184.5 pull length, not 186.5. It's actually slightly too short for ideal, for me. Fore-aft is a bit unstable, through whatever mount points I may try it at. The ideal mount point for turn handling is not the same as the best available mount point for fore-aft stability: one has to choose, pros and cons, no one best mount point. So, at my profile, height and weight, it's oddly too short, and a finesse ski rather than a charger: it's like the Bibby Pro 184, compared to the K2 Pettitor 120/189 (pull 190.5) being sort of like the Bibby Pro 190 relatively, a similar, faster charger compared to the 184 being relatively slower, and more playful.

The Black Ops turns out to be a good warm up or conditioning ski for the bigger and heavier Pettitor 189, and using that Rossi got me back on the K2 Pettitor a fair amount this season, with the pleasant surprise that I'm in shape to handle both, for now, and my knee is doing fine with both also, no soreness. (Knock on wood.)

(If you ever get a chance to ski the 189 Pettitor, you might take it.)

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Man, thinking about it, the Candides, I didn't really focus in on them enough while I had the chance this year (a lot going on) - probably because no chance to demo, whereas most years I get a crack at the Faction tent on a few demo days.

At 102, the 2.0 overlaps with too many skis I already have and am happy with. The 3.0, at 112, might be different. Dunno. With that ski, I didn't have a chance to sort out the best length for me with this year's model: 184 or 190. Both might work. With my V-Werks Katana 112s, it took me a few years to figure out the 190 worked best for me over the 184. With the previous Faction C.T. 3.0, it was great but it got tossed in rough crud, whatever the length.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’d probably go MPro 105 for my “ski that makes 60mph feel like 40mph” ski if I had to choose. ogsmile
If they had a 186cm version, I’d own a pair.

As soon as I saw the 194cm Sender Squad flex, weight and turn radius I knew it would be a crud busting king too.

The only twin tips that don’t measure 1.5cm plus shorter than their stated length are ON3P and K2, so the Black Ops Gamer being 184cm and change is normal. They are making a 192cm version next season of the Gamer for those that wanted a longer length. A -3cm to -4cm mount point would be where I’d go on the Gamer which is similar to where I’ve got my CT 3.0 mounted.

Think you’d like the 3.0. Much more stable, damp and powerful vs than the older version. Find the 184cm plenty stable yet still playful in bumps and tight spots. Great edge grip even on firm snow and very fun in Spring snow. The 190cm even more stable of course.

Deals out there on remaining stock so not too expensive an experiment to try and easy to sell if you don’t. I’m pondering back ups.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
My daughter through her Freeride team gets pro-deals on Faction skis. Currently they have some great deals on the CT 3.0 and the CT 3.0X. Both are available in her size so was curious as to what the actual difference was between the two skis other than top sheet as everything else looks the same. Trying to figure out which one to get her for those deep POW days. The other ski they have great deals on is the Prodigy 3.0 and 3.0x as wells 4.0 so curios about these as well.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
My daughter through her Freeride team gets pro-deals on Faction skis. Currently they have some great deals on the CT 3.0 and the CT 3.0X. Both are available in her size so was curious as to what the actual difference was between the two skis other than top sheet as everything else looks the same. Trying to figure out which one to get her for those deep POW days. The other ski they have great deals on is the Prodigy 3.0 and 3.0x as wells 4.0 so curios about these as well.

No difference other than cosmetics on the CT 3.0 and 3.0 X and they don’t offer the longer lengths available in the 3.0X. Fantastic ski!

The Prodigy line has a more traditional flex pattern with softer tip/tails and firmer underfoot for 2021 vs the pretty firm tip to tail flex of the Candide series. They have more taper as well so more surfy and less precise vs the Candide line. The narrower 1.0 and 2.0 Prodigy are very light(-400 grams) vs the CT series but the 3.0 and 4.0 are more substantial. Even the Prodigy 3.0 and 4.0 will feel less damp and stable than the Candide versions but more playful and easier going.

Pondered a Prodigy 3.0 or 4.0 myself but kinda think I’d prefer the Candide 3.0 to either one. The Prodigy might be a bit too playful and not enough charger for myself. If you’re a less aggressive skier I bet they would be very fun though.

Think many on here looking for a Kendo 88/Enforcer 88/Brahma 88 type ski that’s more playful would like the 2021 Candide 1.0. It’s like a wide GS that’s a twin tip.
I may end up using it as my daily driver if the snow isn’t icy and skip over my 2.0 and go right to the 3.0 if there’s any snow. I’ll use the 2.0 for the soft snow daily driver out west along with my Powder skis.

dovski

Skier
No difference other than cosmetics on the CT 3.0 and 3.0 X and they don’t offer the longer lengths available in the 3.0X. Fantastic ski!

The Prodigy line has a more traditional flex pattern with softer tip/tails and firmer underfoot for 2021 vs the pretty firm tip to tail flex of the Candide series. They have more taper as well so more surfy and less precise vs the Candide line. The narrower 1.0 and 2.0 Prodigy are very light(-400 grams) vs the CT series but the 3.0 and 4.0 are more substantial. Even the Prodigy 3.0 and 4.0 will feel less damp and stable than the Candide versions but more playful and easier going.

Pondered a Prodigy 3.0 or 4.0 myself but kinda think I’d prefer the Candide 3.0 to either one. The Prodigy might be a bit too playful and not enough charger for myself. If you’re a less aggressive skier I bet they would be very fun though.

Think many on here looking for a Kendo 88/Enforcer 88/Brahma 88 type ski that’s more playful would like the 2021 Candide 1.0. It’s like a wide GS that’s a twin tip.
I may end up using it as my daily driver if the snow isn’t icy and skip over my 2.0 and go right to the 3.0 if there’s any snow. I’ll use the 2.0 for the soft snow daily driver out west along with my Powder skis.
This is for my daughter who competes in Freeride and now out skis the entire family. She is 15 and currently skis the Santa Ana 100 and the Mindbender 88 TI Alliance ski. She wanted something in the 106 range for powder and felt the CT 3.0 might be too wide for her hence we discussed the Prodigy 3.0, but concern is that it will not be burly enough for her and the type of skiing she does - think extreme steeps and deeps with big drops and hitting lots of features on the way down. Should we also consider the Dictator 3.0?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Dictator line is not as super stiff as it used to be but still a bit stiffer underfoot than the current Candide line. The issue with the 3.0 of the Prodigy or Dictator line is they aren’t THAT much wider than her Santa Ana 100 skis so float wouldn’t be hugely better. Dictators have a pretty traditional mount, long turn radius and very flat tail so meant for going straight very fast in more open spaces.

The Candide 3.0 will have more float, be more playful and easier to pivot in tight spots while still being able to rip. They don’t carve like a 112mm ski at all and easily out carve my old Enforcer 104s.

Another free ride favourite is the Rustler 11/Sheeva 11 that would be a mix of dictator and Candide series-flatter tail than the Candide but good weight and long radius for stability. Again 112mm underfoot that outperforms the narrower Rustler 10 when it comes to float and stability.

Can you check out the Dictator 3.0, Candide 3.0 and Rustler 11 in person so you can compare them vs the Santa Ana 100? Might give you a better feel of the differences.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The CT 3.0 2021 for me was the biggest surprise out of ANY 2021 ski, I test a lot of skis, and at any time own 40-60 pairs of skis for reference.

They were so good I sent a message to greg saying "get them" (and he did)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The CT 3.0 2021 for me was the biggest surprise out of ANY 2021 ski, I test a lot of skis, and at any time own 40-60 pairs of skis for reference.

They were so good I sent a message to greg saying "get them" (and he did)

Aha!!! The source of the problem!! And with 40-60 pairs of skis, a man after my own heart!!!

This makes a difference, more support for the 3.0.

For me, with the 3.0, I already have multiple skis at or around this width, even though I lack a great floater (at this width or, mostly, wider); so I imagine what could get in there for me is a top combined powder float/crud ski that could displace the 192 V-Werks Katanas. While that is possible, it's only so-so likely: the older 3.0/184 was almost as good a floater, and better in soft bumps, but much worse in crud or carving, or at speed. So dunno.
Problems of having a slowly accumulated ski stash. (I'll resist listing all the skis I have at around that waist width, going back some years.)

One advantage of being an empty nester is having a lot of space for old ski collections.

I’d probably go MPro 105 for my “ski that makes 60mph feel like 40mph” ski if I had to choose. ogsmile
If they had a 186cm version, I’d own a pair.

As soon as I saw the 194cm Sender Squad flex, weight and turn radius I knew it would be a crud busting king too.

The only twin tips that don’t measure 1.5cm plus shorter than their stated length are ON3P and K2, so the Black Ops Gamer being 184cm and change is normal. They are making a 192cm version next season of the Gamer for those that wanted a longer length. A -3cm to -4cm mount point would be where I’d go on the Gamer which is similar to where I’ve got my CT 3.0 mounted.

Think you’d like the 3.0. Much more stable, damp and powerful vs than the older version. Find the 184cm plenty stable yet still playful in bumps and tight spots. Great edge grip even on firm snow and very fun in Spring snow. The 190cm even more stable of course.

Deals out there on remaining stock so not too expensive an experiment to try and easy to sell if you don’t. I’m pondering back ups.

(See above on me getting the '21 3.0, which may happen.)

You couldn't really go back like you mentioned on the current 186 Gamer (move back -3 to -4), for handling and stability reasons (and the things ski short), so assume you mean the longer Gamer to come. Hope I can somehow demo that longer Gamer (hate that name), and thus find it okay or wanting compared to the Pettitor. Otherwise I may still buy the things w/o knowing. Once longer, they might be as good - or a slim chance better - than the best powder/crud ski, by far, I've ever been on (the K2).

But really big guys might still find the longer Gamer (though not the longest Pettitor) too short. After all, the pros on them may well be fairly small guys, if similar to those who were on the Pettitor 189. (The Pettitor 189 has straighter sides, so its mount point can go back so far it can out burly the staunchest of skis: to recommended mount line, for instance, which may be burly enough for an actual elephant.)

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ski otter 2 I’m talking about moving the Gamer(hate the name too!) mount back from the Factory -2.5cm back (from center) another 3-4cm putting it in the 5.5-6.5cm total range. Unless you are skiing switch a ton, everyone moves that mount back at least 2cm back from Rec with 2.5cm back(5cm total from center) probably the most common. I’m 6.7cm total back on Candide 3.0 with a similar sidecut.

Moving back will improve float and make it ski longer. If I was skiing the forthcoming longer version, I’d put it closer to factory mount to make it ski shorter.

I can always count on @anders_nor for a “yes” vote(as can he with me) for most questions about buying new gear! :roflmao:
I had the 2.0s and liked and recommended them to him so he ended up getting the longer version version.
I was pondering getting the 192cm MFree 108 on Spring Deals this year and was thinking about the CT 3.0 but figured it was too wide and never saw it on any deals yet.
One morning, I see a pair of the 184cm CT 3.0 online for 45% off and was pondering getting them instead. Unbeknownst to me, @anders_nor had already bought the 190cm CT 3.0 along with a bunch of other skis earlier this year. I was just about to message him about the deal I saw and had an unprompted “You need to buy 3.0s!” message from him minutes earlier which I didn’t even know he owned! Ordered them of course that afternoon.ogsmile

dovski

Skier
Not this season and right now we can get the Candide 3.0 at a very good price through her pro-deal and end of season clear out, so may just pull the trigger on that as I have skied the CT 3.0 and loved it and think she will too

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do own the blackops 118 in the correct cool topsheet , no idea what this "gamer" thingy is ;)

@GregK I do try to place an order for all skis I think are promising with industry friends, then I can try my way through them, throughout the season, the struggle is real :p
This is also a reason I mount myself, my local raceplace/skitechs are awesome, but even them look weird at me when I walk in with 10 pairs sevral times a year ;)

My stoke for the m-free 108 192cm was REAL, but I dont think they have met my stoke so far, I'm more likely to grab the CT3.0's.

note for the 3.0 is treat it like a new raceski or newgrund ski, that puppy seems to ship with 0 wax.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not this season and right now we can get the Candide 3.0 at a very good price through her pro-deal and end of season clear out, so may just pull the trigger on that as I have skied the CT 3.0 and loved it and think she will too

Then it’s a no brainer to go for it then!
Candide line is about 5cm on that ski and the “new school” mount is an additional 1.5cm back(6.5cm total) and the “traditional” 3cm back(8cm total). The “new school” mount can handle a forward or centered stance and would be stable and balanced in the air still. Should be perfect for her there.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Im thinking of buying a pair for GF, for wide crudbusting. but not sure she at 172 ? 174 will love the 184s... (I wanna try them for tight woods) :D

dovski

Skier
Then it’s a no brainer to go for it then!
Candide line is about 5cm on that ski and the “new school” mount is an additional 1.5cm back(6.5cm total) and the “traditional” 3cm back(8cm total). The “new school” mount can handle a forward or centered stance and would be stable and balanced in the air still. Should be perfect for her there.
Is this marked on the ski or do we need to specify when mounting?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January