• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’ve had them stone ground. Hmm. Let me get back to you in 3-4 weeks and tell you if I still feel like they’re too demanding.
Maybe too hard of a workout before then. Lol

Maybe you weren’t going fast enough for their turn radius if your other skis have much tighter ones? Know skis can be more work at lower speeds if their natural turn radius is longer.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe too hard of a workout before then. Lol

Maybe you weren’t going fast enough for their turn radius if your other skis have much tighter ones? Know skis can be more work at lower speeds if their natural turn radius is longer.
I’m reasonably confident that two factors above contributed to my issues. I was going super slow (first time on snow this season so was being a scareful old lady) and burned out my legs before I felt confident enough to step on the gas. At which point I was too tired to feel good going at any reasonable speed.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’m reasonably confident that two factors above contributed to my issues. I was going super slow (first time on snow this season so was being a scareful old lady) and burned out my legs before I felt confident enough to step on the gas. At which point I was too tired to feel good going at any reasonable speed.
Ah, making sense then! Haha
The more committed you are to them(and less tired you are) the better they are.

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
Chose -2cm rather than the -1.5cm as usually use with my CT as these had the most forward factory mount and moving them back a hair will make them a touch more stable there.
Don’t have demo bindings on them but lots of experience moving mounts around on previous skis. -4cm from Center a common mount with all mountain freestyle skis.
Thanks. Given the 60mph speeds you're hitting that extra stability no doubt is appreciated. My top speed likely will be half that and the 172cm stands an inch below the top of my head so proportionately they may be longer to me than the 183cm is to you. Plus I'm a lightweight at 145lbs (before Thanksgiving, anyways).

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
Ah, making sense then! Haha
The more committed you are to them(and less tired you are) the better they are.
The only other factor may be the mount point, so make sure they aren't further back than Candide's line or -1.5cm. A ski shop mounted my skis -2.0 further back than factory recommended (which I didn't request), and they were noticeably more work than the next pair that was mounted on the line.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks. Given the 60mph speeds you're hitting that extra stability no doubt is appreciated. My top speed likely will be half that and the 172cm stands an inch below the top of my head so proportionately they may be longer to me than the 183cm is to you. Plus I'm a lightweight at 145lbs (before Thanksgiving, anyways).
Only do highway speeds before any people are around and then usually average around 40mph when skiing open groomers. Never ski fast if there’s people around.
Find all skis will always have both a top speed limit and speed minimum that they need to hit to carve turns at your desired pace. Tighter radius skis “come alive” and are easier to carve at lower speeds than longer radius speeds.
If I’m on a smaller hill skiing against the wind, my really long radius skis are a chore to ski so I go to tighter radius skis on days like that.

Was wondering when @ilovepugs was describing skis being work on a green run I think that she didn’t get up to the CT 1.0 “minimum speed” yet. It would be like having no power steering and trying to turn a steering wheel while the car the car is standing still. Get the car moving and things get much easier.
The only other factor may be the mount point, so make sure they aren't further back than Candide's line or -1.5cm. A ski shop mounted my skis -2.0 further back than factory recommended (which I didn't request), and they were noticeably more work than the next pair that was mounted on the line.
Your shop mounted Factions further back recommend or other skis? Candide skis used to have the CT line and then an “all mountain” line 4cm further back. If you were -2cm from the all mountain mark or -2cm from most traditional skis factory mark, then the turn initiation would be harder for sure.

Most Freeride skis are similar to the current Factions in that they have a range from CT/freestyle/park mounts to a more traditional mounts a few cm back of that. Even the -3cm from CT mark “Classic” mark on 21 CT is still more forward compared to most skis out there. Turn initiation is still good there, just not quite as sensitive but those who mount there are used to driving their skis more.

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
Only do highway speeds before any people are around and then usually average around 40mph when skiing open groomers. Never ski fast if there’s people around.
Find all skis will always have both a top speed limit and speed minimum that they need to hit to carve turns at your desired pace. Tighter radius skis “come alive” and are easier to carve at lower speeds than longer radius speeds.
If I’m on a smaller hill skiing against the wind, my really long radius skis are a chore to ski so I go to tighter radius skis on days like that.

Was wondering when @ilovepugs was describing skis being work on a green run I think that she didn’t get up to the CT 1.0 “minimum speed” yet. It would be like having no power steering and trying to turn a steering wheel while the car the car is standing still. Get the car moving and things get much easier.

Your shop mounted Factions further back recommend or other skis? Candide skis used to have the CT line and then an “all mountain” line 4cm further back. If you were -2cm from the all mountain mark or -2cm from most traditional skis factory mark, then the turn initiation would be harder for sure.

Most Freeride skis are similar to the current Factions in that they have a range from CT/freestyle/park mounts to a more traditional mounts a few cm back of that. Even the -3cm from CT mark “Classic” mark on 21 CT is still more forward compared to most skis out there. Turn initiation is still good there, just not quite as sensitive but those who mount there are used to driving their skis more.

Fortunately I haven't mounted the Factions yet and will clearly mark the -1.5 line on masking tape to avert any confusion. This was years ago for skis that fortunately were replaced under warranty after one season due to a different issue.

I was thinking the same about @ilovepugs minimum speed. That's why mounting on Candide's Line is best since it would improve slow speed turn initiation without impacting her stability. As she gets more comfortable and her minimum speeds increase, things absolutely should get easier.

Your speed discipline is admirable. Just learned that on Day 3 at Killington my friend was whacked by some speeding teen, ironically while at a "SLOW" sign near the bottom. She's an expert mogul skier, yet might be out for a while with an arm/shoulder injury due to this knucklehead. That's why the most dangerous trails typically are greens and blues since steeps, chutes, bumps, trees, etc. are uncrowded and don't move.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just learned that on Day 3 at Killington my friend was whacked by some speeding teen, ironically while at a "SLOW" sign near the bottom. She's an expert mogul skier, yet might be out for a while with an arm/shoulder injury due to this knucklehead. That's why the most dangerous trails typically are greens and blues since steeps, chutes, bumps, trees, etc. are uncrowded and don't move.

Kton has the most of almost everything in the EAST, including out of control teenagers and out of control boarders. If I don't get run into at KTON at least once its a good day. Luckily they bounce off me, I weight 250 lbs, I also swat them with my poles if I see them coming. The ones that sneak up from behind can be tough to deal with. Maybe I need to mount one of those bicycly mirrors on my helmet. :nono:

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
Kton has the most of almost everything in the EAST, including out of control teenagers and out of control boarders. If I don't get run into at KTON at least once its a good day. Luckily they bounce off me, I weight 250 lbs, I also swat them with my poles if I see them coming. The ones that sneak up from behind can be tough to deal with. Maybe I need to mount one of those bicycly mirrors on my helmet. :nono:
That's why I prefer Outer Limits, etc. If they are out of control there the mountain spanks them for you. Though a helmet or glove mirror would work, you can ski backwards on your Factions or just wear something like this. That'll make them think twice before running into you.

1669071182588.png

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
That's why mounting on Candide's Line is best since it would improve slow speed turn initiation without impacting her stability.
The more forward you mount any ski, it will pivot easier, ski shorter, be more balanced in the air and ski switch easier and have quicker turn initiation. There is “too much of a good thing” though with the quicker response if you ski with a forward stance and the ski will actually be more nervous and less stable for a traditional “drive the ski” skier.
Also moving the mount forward doesn’t change the natural turn radius so a long radius ski will still need more speed to get going regardless of mount.

You are perfect in the -1.5cm from CT mark(Progressive mount) as you ski in a more centered stance so it gives you a great mix of playful and stable there.

Faction now calls the CT mark “Newschool”, -1.5cm back “Progressive” and -3cm from CT/Newschool is called “Classic.” Here’s a link to Faction’s explanation of mount point options and their characteristics.

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
The more forward you mount any ski, it will pivot easier, ski shorter, be more balanced in the air and ski switch easier and have quicker turn initiation. There is “too much of a good thing” though with the quicker response if you ski with a forward stance and the ski will actually be more nervous and less stable for a traditional “drive the ski” skier.
Also moving the mount forward doesn’t change the natural turn radius so a long radius ski will still need more speed to get going regardless of mount.

You are perfect in the -1.5cm from CT mark(Progressive mount) as you ski in a more centered stance so it gives you a great mix of playful and stable there.

Faction now calls the CT mark “Newschool”, -1.5cm back “Progressive” and -3cm from CT/Newschool is called “Classic.” Here’s a link to Faction’s explanation of mount point options and their characteristics.

Does the 1.0 still pivot easily for you at -2.0? And I wonder about -3.0? My friend who is 6'1" and 215 pounds but is an older advanced intermediate bought the 178 because the 183 wasn't available. He obviously will have to mount at -3.0 and with a recent hip replacement won't be aggressively carving at high speeds or going off piste other than the rare powder or slush day. I had suggested he get the Dictator 1.0 in the 178 because it probably would ski longer (the 186 would be too long), but he liked the idea of a more playful pivoting ski since his stiff Volkl 180cm GS are too much work and not at all versatile. What's your educated guess on how these will work for him at moderate speeds?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does the 1.0 still pivot easily for you at -2.0? And I wonder about -3.0? My friend who is 6'1" and 215 pounds but is an older advanced intermediate bought the 178 because the 183 wasn't available. He obviously will have to mount at -3.0 and with a recent hip replacement won't be aggressively carving at high speeds or going off piste other than the rare powder or slush day. I had suggested he get the Dictator 1.0 in the 178 because it probably would ski longer (the 186 would be too long), but he liked the idea of a more playful pivoting ski since his stiff Volkl 180cm GS are too much work and not at all versatile. What's your educated guess on how these will work for him at moderate speeds?
They will be good for him at -3cm as you’d want them to “ski longer” and be the most traditional for him. They still be playful and easy to pivot there when flat with its rocker, twin tail and more center mount than his old skis.
The CT 1.0 are more playful yet carve better and are much more damp than the Dictator 1.0. The Dictator are actually pretty light skis in the 1.0 and don’t really get substantial till the 3.0 now.

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
They will be good for him at -3cm as you’d want them to “ski longer” and be the most traditional for him. They still be playful and easy to pivot there when flat with its rocker, twin tail and more center mount than his old skis.
The CT 1.0 are more playful yet carve better and are much more damp than the Dictator 1.0. The Dictator are actually pretty light skis in the 1.0 and don’t really get substantial till the 3.0 now.
Thanks. Sounds exactly like what he's looking for. Now he can pretend to hang with his tween son, who just bought the K2 Reckoner 92 as his first twin tip... kind of the opposite end of the spectrum despite similar dimensions.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
A bunch of parents that got 21 CT last year because of my recommendation have told me that they got more “street cred” from their kids after getting their hip twin tip skis! Haha

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Liking the low taper shape and long radius on these new skis of Candide’s even in the super wide ones. Just hope the weight is still there with them. Quit teasing and release these things!! :crossfingers:

0E261105-5E29-4217-A1F0-9DC04B94CEE8.png

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Only used my CT1.0s once so far (3 ski days). Trails were pretty crowded so couldn't let them rip...but I did get a chance to take them offpiste in a mogul field. Still early but I feel these are going to special!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Only used my CT1.0s once so far (3 ski days). Trails were pretty crowded so couldn't let them rip...but I did get a chance to take them offpiste in a mogul field. Still early but I feel these are going to special!
Was waiting for your review on them! My local hill is on the verge of opening and desperately want to try out all my freshly ground and tuned skis out again.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was waiting for your review on them! My local hill is on the verge of opening and desperately want to try out all my freshly ground and tuned skis out again.
Didn't want to say anything yet as my first day back was a little rough! But I feel something there... Since its mainly groomers right now, I opted to try my m6 mantra and am loving them. Will be at Mammoth for the week so plan on letting these CT1.0s rip all over the mountain. Real excited!