• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I did get a chance to take them offpiste in a mogul field. Still early but I feel these are going to special!
The CT are so great in the bumps! You will be shocked how fun even the CT 3.0 is in soft moguls. The Pivots on both of them will make them flex more naturally in there too.

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
PXL_20221118_015247370.jpg

Joined the gang thanks to @ARL67, just need my bindings to show up now. Tried to take this pic a few times, my dog decided she was going to be in it or it wasn't happening.

Was out on my Mindbender 108ti's on Saturday and had a blast in pretty firm and generally not awesome conditions. The CT's have some serious competition.

Even at -3cms the CT's are way forward of anything else I've been on in some years. When I eyeballed where I thought I'd like to be on the ski it was -5cms lol.

Should be a fun ski, can't wait to get on it.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Does the 1.0 still pivot easily for you at -2.0? And I wonder about -3.0? My friend who is 6'1" and 215 pounds but is an older advanced intermediate bought the 178 because the 183 wasn't available. He obviously will have to mount at -3.0 and with a recent hip replacement won't be aggressively carving at high speeds or going off piste other than the rare powder or slush day. I had suggested he get the Dictator 1.0 in the 178 because it probably would ski longer (the 186 would be too long), but he liked the idea of a more playful pivoting ski since his stiff Volkl 180cm GS are too much work and not at all versatile. What's your educated guess on how these will work for him at moderate speeds?
I’ve got 8 days on mine (1.0 @ -3cm) skiing some firm machine made groomers but mostly off piste in small & large bumps plus a few swaths of grippy wind blown snow. They pivot just fine, & carve schmedium & larger turns pretty well. Not quite snappy enough for really dynamic short turns but add a little pivot & they will get it done, also quick enough in the bumps if you put a little spring in your step.
Looking forward to getting them in some fresh snow & crud hopefully next week!
20D4F877-F7F1-4035-997A-63CCB5EB7290.jpeg

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’ve got 8 days on mine (1.0 @ -3cm) skiing some firm machine made groomers but mostly off piste in small & large bumps plus a few swaths of grippy wind blown snow. They pivot just fine, & carve schmedium & larger turns pretty well. Not quite snappy enough for really dynamic short turns but add a little pivot & they will get it done, also quick enough in the bumps if you put a little spring in your step.
View attachment 183838
Glad to hear you’re liking them. The more speed and power they receive, the more poppy and fun they get I find. I let them run a bit before I start carving them and find I’m doing similar paced turns to other skis but my actual speed is higher with more confidence.
Crud and variable snow is their favourite so you’ll love them in those conditions.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@EP4O Glad you finally ended up with the correct length CT 2.0 in your possession! Hope everything is finally settled with the dealer on the first pair.

Don’t worry about the mount looking close as it’s just the fact that the more symmetrical shape of these skis cause the middle of the sidecut to be closer to the Center of the ski. When mounted at -3cm on the Classic area it will be exactly the same as most traditional mounts on more directional ski. You drive the ski just the same as your other skis but get a much easier to pivot ski that more playful and fun in the air, to ski switch and more forgiving off piste.
Often went from my -13cm from Center mount 184cm eTitans to the -4cm(-2cm from CT) 183cm CT 1.0 in the afternoon and feels way different skating to the 1st lift. Then the first turn made with the same technique and I’m good. Honestly more of a visual “this doesn’t make sense” thing for a bit as it’s hard to believe the “way shorter” looking ski is actually significantly more stable and WAY more fun!

CT 2.0 will be more of a M5/narrow QST competition in your quiver as the MB 108Ti is going to be much better float in powder. The CT 3.0 would have been the “quiver reducer” in your wider skis! Haha
Still hoping the BO 108(CT 2.5 :crossfingers:)will be similar to it as it should be easier to still get those.

James

Out There
Instructor
Faction now calls the CT mark “Newschool”, -1.5cm back “Progressive” and -3cm from CT/Newschool is called “Classic.” Here’s a link to Faction’s explanation of mount point options and their characteristics.
These names aren’t a great idea. Why not just numbers?
People will just mount based on what camp they’re in. Reverse the names and see what happens.

The idea that one needs to go from a gs ski to a progressive mount ski is just silly.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Glad they are marking all three lines but I’d agree with something like “freestyle/park” for the most forward line and “traditional/all mountain” for the back line.
Most freeride skis have a single line and there’s hopefully some reviews telling you where to mount in comparison to it or they just have a few lines with no explanation at all.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Both of my Factions are pre '21. Seems like mounting was pretty straight forward on my CT's. I just mounted them on the All-Mountain line and they have been great for me.

View attachment 183861
Those were when it was -4cm back from the CT line to the back line I think. The current ones are now a 3cm range and they have different names for the range.
Most of my older skis used to have “park/freestyle” where the CT line is and then “all mountain” as well at the back of the range. Less confusing to most people.

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
View attachment 183831

Joined the gang thanks to @ARL67, just need my bindings to show up now. Tried to take this pic a few times, my dog decided she was going to be in it or it wasn't happening.

Was out on my Mindbender 108ti's on Saturday and had a blast in pretty firm and generally not awesome conditions. The CT's have some serious competition.

Even at -3cms the CT's are way forward of anything else I've been on in some years. When I eyeballed where I thought I'd like to be on the ski it was -5cms lol.

Should be a fun ski, can't wait to get on it.
Sorry, but although those skis look impressive, your dog is much cuter and she knows it.

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
View attachment 183838
Very special skis indeed if they can make you look forward to crud. Do you think the 172cm at -1.5 will be able to make shortish turns given their 17 meter radius (vs 18 for the 178cm)? My understanding is that the slightly forward mount point won't shorten the turn shape, just the ease of initiation.

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
@EP4O Glad you finally ended up with the correct length CT 2.0 in your possession! Hope everything is finally settled with the dealer on the first pair.

Don’t worry about the mount looking close as it’s just the fact that the more symmetrical shape of these skis cause the middle of the sidecut to be closer to the Center of the ski. When mounted at -3cm on the Classic area it will be exactly the same as most traditional mounts on more directional ski. You drive the ski just the same as your other skis but get a much easier to pivot ski that more playful and fun in the air, to ski switch and more forgiving off piste.
Often went from my -13cm from Center mount 184cm eTitans to the -4cm(-2cm from CT) 183cm CT 1.0 in the afternoon and feels way different skating to the 1st lift. Then the first turn made with the same technique and I’m good. Honestly more of a visual “this doesn’t make sense” thing for a bit as it’s hard to believe the “way shorter” looking ski is actually significantly more stable and WAY more fun!

CT 2.0 will be more of a M5/narrow QST competition in your quiver as the MB 108Ti is going to be much better float in powder. The CT 3.0 would have been the “quiver reducer” in your wider skis! Haha
Still hoping the BO 108(CT 2.5 :crossfingers:)will be similar to it as it should be easier to still get those.
Thanks man, also thanks for the binding hookup! I forgot to mention I hit up your bindings guy for some Attack 13's. Should be here on Monday weather permitting.

Really pumped to get on the CT's, love their shape and they are certainly different than anything else I've got now. Only 1 day and have a lot of other conditions to test out but the early returns on the MB108's are fantastic. Hoping for this to be my 2 ski travel quiver around BC this season.

Do we know the BO is 108? Thought the proto ski looked wider than that.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Only 1 day and have a lot of other conditions to test out but the early returns on the MB108's are fantastic. Hoping for this to be my 2 ski travel quiver around BC this season.

Do we know the BO is 108? Thought the proto ski looked wider than that.
That would be a good, versatile travel quiver with those 2. MB 108Ti punches above its width in powder.
Think I’ve decided on the 183cm CT 2.0 and 190cm CT 3.0 for my 2 pairs for my month out West this year I think.

Was told about a “middle width Black Ops skis” between the 98 and 118 for almost 3 years now! Heard it was going to be 108 for the first 1.5 years I think, then 110 the last year and heard 108 again the last few months. Lol
Think it will be more similar to the 118 as the team skiers Chris Logan and Parker White helping design it ski almost nothing but the BO 118 it seems. I’m sure in a month or two they will show specs on it before it’s mid season release.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do you think the 172cm at -1.5 will be able to make shortish turns given their 17 meter radius (vs 18 for the 178cm)
They will be easier and quicker edge to edge than your wider SFB skis that have a similar turn radius. Will be very fun for you at -1.5cm and instantly comfortable for a SFB skier. Will feel more maneuverable with the shorter length in tight spots too.

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
That would be a good, versatile travel quiver with those 2. MB 108Ti punches above its width in powder.
Think I’ve decided on the 183cm CT 2.0 and 190cm CT 3.0 for my 2 pairs for my month out West this year I think.

Was told about a “middle width Black Ops skis” between the 98 and 118 for almost 3 years now! Heard it was going to be 108 for the first 1.5 years I think, then 110 the last year and heard 108 again the last few months. Lol
Think it will be more similar to the 118 as the team skiers Chris Logan and Parker White helping design it ski almost nothing but the BO 118 it seems. I’m sure in a month or two they will show specs on it before it’s mid season release.
It's not the quiver I thought I'd have this year but I think it's going to be a good time. Think that's a good pairing for you as well, the snow is starting to come now so should be a nice set up. Still think the 3.0 is probably the perfect Revelstoke ski.

A BO 108 makes sense, but I'm kind of hoping it's around 112. It definitely looked wider than 108 to my eyes, but my eyes aren't what they used to be.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My understanding is that the slightly forward mount point won't shorten the turn shape, just the ease of initiation.
That is probably correct. The few times I have skied on forward or center mounted skis they felt like they just wanted to spin me around in circles haha, so yes they would make initiation easier. A well shaped short radius turn is dependent upon how much you are able to bend the ski. 17 meter sidecut seems great if you want some versatility.
Back in the straight ski days I would sometimes mount my SL skis slightly forward but never more than a few millimeters. To me a centimeter would be radical!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Was out at Keystone, 2" fresh, today, Thanksgiving. A bit of cold kept people away, so it was good for hours.
For me, it was wonderful on the CT 1.0/183, for the first time this season. Man, what a standout ski. Very quick turning if you ski it freeride style.

Thanks, @GregK, for this ski.

And while I'm at it, Thanks again, @Tony Storaro, for the CT 3.0/183.
(They are incredibly dialed in turning groomers and in bumps!! And just handle crud/chop so well,
fun and playful, even though they do have a bit of a speed limit at times, unlike the 190.)
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ski otter 2 Glad to hear you’re liking the CT skis! Will be on my CT 1.0 tomorrow and depending how rough the warm afternoon gets, the 184cm CT 3.0 might come out to play.

Where do you currently have your 184cm CT 3.0 mounted now? It’s more stable than the CT 1.0 is with its slightly longer radius and mine skis effortlessly at speed at -1.5cm from CT line.
Maybe try yours back a notch or so back and see if that’s any better.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
First day out skiing this year and had the 183cm CT 1.0 skis out. Skied the Deacon Master 72 ski to start as I wanted to try them out as they have had tuning issues(bases insanely high need lots of work to correct).

After a few hours, I swapped to the CT 1.0 which had a more typical first stone grind after last season. These skis instantly felt comfortable and think the grind made them even quicker edge to edge and a bit easier to pivot. Noticed no difference in glide over the black graphite infused race bases of the Deacons and was actually skiing a few mph faster with the CT 1.0 with much more confidence. Such amazing skis! So happy I’ve got lots of backups of these.

Thought of @EG-NJ when going down a few slower runs and was just rolling from edge to edge and doing pretty short turns with little effort and wasn’t going that fast on my 183cm skis. Should be no issue on your 172cm laying them over.

Still really come alive when you grit your teeth and haul with them. Was rough by 10:30am and was still skiing around 40mph through the crud with ease on a 460’ vert hill. Lol

29A7316F-998F-468E-B301-A167FE4D1B30.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online