• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

phil_dirt

Booting up
Skier
You mean I shouldn't detune the effective edge of the ski? ogsmile

I think the bases might be a little edge high. Might need a tune, but it definitely skied pretty well as is.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
You mean I shouldn't detune the effective edge of the ski? ogsmile

I think the bases might be a little edge high. Might need a tune, but it definitely skied pretty well as is.
You mean the factory tune as I thought it sounded like you had them tuned again after with the “fresh” comment.

Yes, I’d definitely recommend getting a stone grind and once over the edges on any new ski. About 99% of skis that feel like they need a “detune” are just edge high/railed and need a stone grind to flatten and then a reset of the base edge bevel at 1 degree so it’s uniform. Set the side edge at 2 degrees unless you’re in the East like me and set at 3 degree for more bite. Base bevels higher than 1 degree are not needed on a flat base ski like this either.

The whole advantage of well designed skis is that you can run them sharp tip to tail without them feeling catchy as the rocker and tip/tail splay does that for you when flat. Tip it over and there’s your great grip!

No reason to ever have the areas tip/tail ABOVE the effective edge sharp as it’s never hitting the groomers but will hit thick snow or rub against each other in moguls scratching the top sheets. So make them nice and smooth with a file and diamond stones at the VERY ends.

Last edited:

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
On groomers you can ski them like a girl.

This girl:

:ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:
For some odd reason the ski industry associates the color white with women's gear, so as per your advice this boot/binding combo will have me skiing like a girl. Does that make me a transvestite, or perhaps a transveskite? Just in case, I'll refer to this kit as "they" and "them".

Note the bare ground despite it being January, with another rain storm coming tomorrow. Maybe Candide had the right idea in that video where he skis on everything (grass, sand, leaves) but snow. I'm envious of all you Westerners as I continue waiting for a chance to finally try these out in some decent conditions.

Attachments

• Faction 1.0 mounted.jpg
    Faction 1.0 mounted.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 23

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
Just picked up some Dictator 2.0's on clearance in Nelson. Pretty stoked!

phil_dirt

Booting up
Skier
You mean the factory tune as I thought it sounded like you had them tuned again after with the “fresh” comment.

Yes, I’d definitely recommend getting a stone grind and once over the edges on any new ski. About 99% of skis that feel like they need a “detune” are just edge high/railed and need a stone grind to flatten and then a reset of the base edge bevel at 1 degree so it’s uniform. Set the side edge at 2 degrees unless you’re in the East like me and set at 3 degree for more bite. Base bevels higher than 1 degree are not needed on a flat base ski like this either.

The whole advantage of well designed skis is that you can run them sharp tip to tail without them feeling catchy as the rocker and tip/tail splay does that for you when flat. Tip it over and there’s your great grip!

No reason to ever have the areas tip/tail ABOVE the effective edge sharp as it’s never hitting the groomers but will hit thick snow or rub against each other in moguls scratching the top sheets. So make them nice and smooth with a file and diamond stones at the VERY ends.
The skis I bought were used maybe 4 days on the factory tune, and the guy I bought em from did a 'basic' tune on em, which I assume means cleaning up the side edges and waxing, but no base grind.

I was coming off a pair of skis that had legit dull edges, so it could also just be that.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The skis I bought were used maybe 4 days on the factory tune, and the guy I bought em from did a 'basic' tune on em, which I assume means cleaning up the side edges and waxing, but no base grind.

I was coming off a pair of skis that had legit dull edges, so it could also just be that.
Ah, I see!

Always say that your “gut instincts” are always right when it comes to something not feeling right about ski tunes. It should definitely grip better if you are used to dull edges but if they seem hard to pivot when flat, stuck in a turn or heavy then just sharp edges won’t be the culprit.
A well tuned ski should grip when you want and easily pivot when you don’t!

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier

Also it seems to me that wider boards make it easier for your binding to not click in square. Even a little snow in there and I can feel it immediately on my 3.0. Then I pop out, kick them off and re click in.

The just dont track right, when this happens

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Greg, I've skied at Blue 4 out of 5 days this week and have seen others on Factions each day, something I hadn't ever seen over the last many years. There were even 2 different couples, both hubby & wife sporting Factions. 2 of the guys this week had different versions of a 3.0, obviously unnecessarily wide for the crap snow we still have at Blue.

Of course lots of Stockli on the slopes ( men & women ) since Corbetts took them on. And I'm always surprised how I never see Fischer. Last year there was a Fischer demo tent at season's end, and mentioned that to the rep and he said something like "Ontario is the black-hole of Fischer sales". I demo'd and loved the Curv GT @ 168cm.

Unless it's going to be frozen early morning groomers, I'll be on the CT 1.0 178 :thumb:

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
How is Blue skiing now? Heard from a MSLM local that Blue “isn’t as bad” this week Vs previous times he’s had to go for training. Disappointed that the storm overnight wasn’t as good for all the resorts up north. I’ll message you when I’m going but think I’ll hit MSLM and two at Blue(Tuesday and Wednesday)next week.

Dying to try out my new Blackops 118 and compare with the 190cm CT 3.0 and Moment Wildcat so I might look even more out of place than those people on the CT 3.0 this week! Haha

I’ve search before for Fisher skis and seems like no dealers around here or none that advertise stock online. Everyone I know with Fishers have bought them online from places out West. Definitely a dealer presence issue in Ontario!

chasinghorizons

Putting on skis
Skier
Still some kicking around if you keep an eye out. Or grab a Dancer this summer.
I'm quite convinced the pink Dictator 2.0x in 163 is my dream ski, and the one that got away. I have the 155.
Also it seems to me that wider boards make it easier for your binding to not click in square. Even a little snow in there and I can feel it immediately on my 3.0. Then I pop out, kick them off and re click in.

The just dont track right, when this happens
I've had this happen on my CT 3.0 too! Was wondering why it happens. So it's the width? It always looks like I'm about to break the toe piece when it happens.

EP4O

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm quite convinced the pink Dictator 2.0x in 163 is my dream ski, and the one that got away. I have the 155.

That's a shame, I quite like the blue Dancer 2x but I get it, I really like the orange Faction Agent 3.0 but can't find one anywhere for a reasonable price.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How is Blue skiing now? Heard from a MSLM local that Blue “isn’t as bad” this week Vs previous times he’s had to go for training. Disappointed that the storm overnight wasn’t as good for all the resorts up north. I’ll message you when I’m going but think I’ll hit MSLM and two at Blue(Tuesday and Wednesday)next week.

Dying to try out my new Blackops 118 and compare with the 190cm CT 3.0 and Moment Wildcat so I might look even more out of place than those people on the CT 3.0 this week! Haha

I’ve search before for Fisher skis and seems like no dealers around here or none that advertise stock online. Everyone I know with Fishers have bought them online from places out West. Definitely a dealer presence issue in Ontario!
what bindings for the 118?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
This came across my YouTube feed today which is timely seeing the Dictator 2.0 pics today too!
Testers thought the Factions needed to be driven harder but lots of pop when they were which I of course agree with. Must have had only super mellow groomers open when filming though so they really couldn’t get either ski up to speed.

Sponsor