• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Met Greg briefly in line today at my local hill while I was skiing with my wife, he was on the CT 1.0 today. I had been on mine for my last 3 outings, so gave them a rest and was on my K2 STi for a change of scenery.

I was asking my wife today if she would be interested in a heavier ski as she has been out in a lot of variable this season. She only has the 2020/2021 Santa Ana 88 158cm and skis them quite well IMO -> relaxed skier, not aggressive on the slopes, just does her thing and gets down most any terrain fine. She is normally not interested in any gear, but did chime in that a heavier ski might be of interest, but not sure what it would do for her, other than what I tell her about heavier skis.

What ski is out there for women or light men ( she is 5'2" 130lbs ) that might be noticeably damper than her SA 88 158cm, but also of the mild All-Mountain variety -> at least has a tip that can get over things, vs a no/low rocker of a race'y type of ski ? I'm happy to get her an additional ski to mix things up a bit.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Met Greg briefly in line today at my local hill while I was skiing with my wife, he was on the CT 1.0 today. I had been on mine for my last 3 outings, so gave them a rest and was on my K2 STi for a change of scenery.

I was asking my wife today if she would be interested in a heavier ski as she has been out in a lot of variable this season. She only has the 2020/2021 Santa Ana 88 158cm and skis them quite well IMO -> relaxed skier, not aggressive on the slopes, just does her thing and gets down most any terrain fine. She is normally not interested in any gear, but did chime in that a heavier ski might be of interest, but not sure what it would do for her, other than what I tell her about heavier skis.

What ski is out there for women or light men ( she is 5'2" 130lbs ) that might be noticeably damper than her SA 88 158cm, but also of the mild All-Mountain variety -> at least has a tip that can get over things, vs a no/low rocker of a race'y type of ski ? I'm happy to get her an additional ski to mix things up a bit.
Skiing is so much better than a few weeks ago! I’m skiing way better as you can actually see with no flat light and the snow as it least decent now.

Your wife’s skis are near the top of the heavy/damp skis in that range but if you could go to the older version of Santa Ana’s they would have 2 sheets of metal Vs the one partial sheet they started in 21. Enforcer 88 with the 2 sheets still starts at 165cm.
What bindings does she have on the current SA 88? Maybe beef up the binding a bit if they are super light?

Sold one of my “spare” CT 1.0 skis to a buddy last night but wants a cheap demo binding. You have anything around that would work?

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the advice, I sent you a text on the demo bindings.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Spent Tuesday on my 180cm Firebird WRC and thought of @Prosper but opposite as the traditional mount felt weird skating towards the lift line first thing as I’ve been skiing more forward mounts the last few weeks. ;)
First few turns and they felt comfortable again.

Even though it was cold and firm to start Wednesday and today. I swapped to the 183cm CT 1.0 to see how well they would fare in comparison. Felt different again skiing to the lift and more surfy when flat compared to the full camber Firebirds. Within a run, I was back to fully trusting the Factions and loving the very small learning curve between them. The CT 1.0 are easier to skid or feather the edge but still surprising how good the grip is when you fully commit to laying them over. Still shocking how stable and powerful they are yet still fun and playful.
Was skiing over frozen snow making mounds without drama and when things got cruddy late morning, they go through it with ease.

As I said to several people who asked about them the last two days, “they don’t make sense how well they perform based on their appearance!”

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was telling Greg via text the other day ( and @graham418 yesterday ) that my CT 1.0 are a quiver killer. As we finally got a good couple dumpings of new snow our way, I am liking them more and more in the expanded conditions we have. My 2023 K2 89ti are going up for sale as they offering nothing to me over the CT. I was just on my previous Fischer RC One 82GT for a few laps ( gave them to our son last season ) and as much as I liked them previously, they won't be under my feet any time soon. Still a great ski for my 25 yo son to develop on.

It is tough to give up the CT's Cadillac ride, great edge-hold, and versatility. Though I can see some thinking they are heavy underfoot ( heavier swing-weight ) depending on one's style and speed preference.

If it wasn't -17* C right now, I'd let @graham418 get on them today. He is much more technically sound than me and skis a bit slower, so curious to get his impressions on them too.

My quiver is in my signature below -> a 72, 92, 102
I really have no "real need" to buy anything else as the CT makes a low 80's all-mountain kinda redundant for me. I keep trying to convince myself I need a real SL ski, but don't think that's my jam. To play around with, a Fischer Curv GT is on my radar ( 76 wide ) and I'll probably dabble in low-80s all-mountain anyway just to satisfy the buy & try urges. :thumb:

Last edited:

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was a blizzard this morning too, and actually -20, so we passed on skiing -> can't risk a dumb injury when I'm on a plane next Friday to the land of schnitzel & zirbenschnaps & après-Ski at the Mooserwirt ;)

I feel I'm too lazy to embrace a proper SL, so I'd rather stick to my 14m-15m radius narrow ski variety.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was telling Greg via text the other day ( and @graham418 yesterday ) that my CT 1.0 are a quiver killer.

Well you are not far wrong about that. The CT 1.0 along with the SR95 are the ski on which I could ski all season long, day in day out without complaining one bit. I suspect the M6 will be just as good as a quiver killer but this is yet to be proven.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well you are not far wrong about that. The CT 1.0 along with the SR95 are the ski on which I could ski all season long, day in day out without complaining one bit. I suspect the M6 will be just as good as a quiver killer but this is yet to be proven.
I have both the CT1 and M6 and waiting for less powder (tahoe) to have a cage match between the two lol. Earlier impressions though is that I prefer the M6 for the tail but my impressions could change

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Find the CT 1.0 or CT 2.0 similar in some ways but very different in others Vs traditional skis than the Kendo 88/Mantras or SR skis. The Dictator/Dancers are really more comparable to these skis.

With the flat tail and 3D radius, the Volkls are awesome for long, lazy GS turns on open groomers and the SR do well there too. The CT line will also require more commitment to fully engage on groomers but become the easier option off trail or in bumps.
The CT line will definitely lose any float battles as they have such little sidecut and don’t consider them powder skis till you hit at least the CT 3.0.

The CT 1.0 and 2.0 are a great choice when you want a playful charger between storm days when you’re still skiing all over the mountain. Their mass and suspension even over most flat tailed charger skis is what separates the 21 CT line.

Liked my 184cm Kendo 88 as they were very stable at speed with their 3D radius and gripped harder snow fairly well with their minimal taper. The 183cm CT 1.0 grips even better, they are much quieter over firm snow, tips bulldoze crud far less, are more damp, even easier off trail and just WAY MORE fun to ski.

Last edited:

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
I bought a 1.0 pair at 178cm.

First off, I'll say I love the stability and playfullness of the ski. These things are flying monster trucks. Pretty darn impressed with how they blow through everything. That said, I think I went too short. If anyone has a 182 that they want to trade or sell, let me know!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I bought a 1.0 pair at 178cm.

First off, I'll say I love the stability and playfullness of the ski. These things are flying monster trucks. Pretty darn impressed with how they blow through everything. That said, I think I went too short. If anyone has a 182 that they want to trade or sell, let me know!
Glad you’re liking them!
What’s your size and where did you mount them?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had the re-ground and retuned 183cm CT 2.0 out for the full day to make sure they were good before taking them out West as the daily driver. Better than they have ever been and fell in love again. Was ripping them just like the narrower CT 1.0 and Firebirds last week. Just a touch more stable feeling and damp than the CT 1.0.

Trying out the 184cm CT 3.0 tomorrow that’s also had some work done this year on them to perfect them. Thinking they should jump another level in grip and stability too.

FBB865D4-8704-4BBB-B5D4-CBFF76895F2B.jpeg

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
Had the re-ground and retuned 183cm CT 2.0 out for the full day to make sure they were good before taking them out West as the daily driver. Better than they have ever been and fell in love again. Was ripping them just like the narrower CT 1.0 and Firebirds last week. Just a touch more stable feeling and damp than the CT 1.0.

Trying out the 184cm CT 3.0 tomorrow that’s also had some work done this year on them to perfect them. Thinking they should jump another level in grip and stability too.

View attachment 191747
How are they in those moguls to the right?

Sponsor

Staff online