• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Faction Discussion

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
A strange or quirky thing about this is that the Faction C.T. 3.0 184 is about the only ski I still own that has a definite speed limit one has to take into account constantly,
That’s why I know something is up with your pair as it’s more stable than the 183cm CT 1.0 or CT 2.0(the same stability as the 188cm CT 2.0). A metre longer radius than the narrower skis and feels at least that.
I knew something was up on my 184cm pair when I felt the same as you are currently when swapping from my other CT skis and sure enough, just a bit base high underfoot on both skis. Base grind and they were transformed. Much more stable and much better in variable or in crud now. Feel just as stable(but not as damp of course) as my 186cm Blackops 118.
My 190cm pair were almost too stable/locked in a turn with them being a touch edge high. Both are awesome now.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
New low tide ski :D was going to go with just a black p14 but the p15 was cheaper

Attachments

• 20230310_130950.jpg
    20230310_130950.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 27

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice! Was just out ripping on my Dictator, so fun.
I love my Dictator 3s so just wanted something in a smaller package for low tide. Also have the CT1.0s but haven't completely fallen in love with them yet....they absolutely rip and are incredibly fun to jump features with but a part of me feels like I'd rather have the CT2.0. I'd replace my Deathwish 104 with the CT2.0 if I could get my hands on one! For low tide, I just find that I prefer the feel of the flatter tail on the Dictator/Dancer

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Pics from a Japanese site on the new Candide skis. 101mm and 111mm versions look to have very similar shape to the CT 2.0 and CT 3.0. On the ski it says it has a triple radius and “C-Light core” whatever that means but not liking the word “light” in there.

101mm
CEE67690-BAD1-4CCD-9CC0-81E794AD714D.png
CA6AF8B1-E143-4C68-8836-4C69FDB783E3.png

The 111mm again mentions triple radius and C-Light core as well.

56ADC0BE-0B5A-4E05-BB6B-73F1E1BC7D5C.png

phil_dirt

Booting up
Skier
Finally got the mount moved back on my 184 ct 3.0. Definitely fixed my issues with em. They were slightly unstable and only skied well if i was centered or weighting my heels.

The ski definitely felt ultra stable to me, and didn’t have the same speed limit that my hotshots have (which is overstated by critics imo). The radius feels distinctly longer than the 1.0s, and i struggled making anything tighter than gs length turns.

Last edited:
TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Finally got the mount moved back on my 184 ct 3.0. Definitely fixed my issues with em. They were slightly unstable and only skied well if i was centered or weighting my heels.

The ski definitely felt ultra stable to me, and didn’t have the same speed limit that my hotshots have (which is overstated by critics imo). The radius feels distinctly longer than the 1.0s, and i struggled making anything tighter than gs length turns.
Good to hear you’re liking them more with the mount change. Once you get them up to speed you can crank out so tighter turns if you whip them around.

Saw a pair of JSkis flopping in the breeze going down a flat groomer and ended up the lift with him later. I was shocked to see those noodles were actually Hot Shots and not some wimpy park ski like the All Play or something. Had others on here with them return or sell them as they were just too soft and too low of a turn radius.
The 21 CT 2.0 is on another planet Vs it as far as stability.

phil_dirt

Booting up
Skier
I would 100% agree. For a ‘freeride’ ski the hot shots are very easy going. Very much a ski you could recommend to a beginner. The CT 3.0s not so much, lol.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Bought a set of 165cm 21 CT 1.0 for a family friend that was suffering on entry level Atomic skis the last few years. Got the CT 1.0 stone ground this summer and did a full tune on them after so they were perfect.

Few runs in and she was skiing great on them. She couldn’t believe how fast the bases were, how stable they are yet how easy they were in the bumps. She told me that I have to get some new skis for her daughter and husband this summer now! Haha

FF396E2F-4A00-4345-A7BE-7608D0ECEE96.jpeg

EG-NJ

Putting on skis
Skier
Bought a set of 165cm 21 CT 1.0 for a family friend that was suffering on entry level Atomic skis the last few years. Got the CT 1.0 stone ground this summer and did a full tune on them after so they were perfect.

Few runs in and she was skiing great on them. She couldn’t believe how fast the bases were, how stable they are yet how easy they were in the bumps. She told me that I have to get some new skis for her daughter and husband this summer now! Haha

View attachment 196497
Did similar with a female friend, upgrading her from entry level Elans to wider and rockered Volkl Yumi 84, which she loves. Immediately she started skiing faster with confidence in all conditions. Not twin-tips, but hey, baby steps.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
My friend was again loving the CT 1.0 in the fresh snow we had today at Lake Louise and was killing it in the bumps with them. Commented a few times on how smooth and stable they were through the chopped up snow later in the morning Vs her old skis.

I had my Blackops 118 out and got some untracked laps in the trees and groomers up top before my friends showed up. Very fun ski in the fresh and tracked out snow!

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mentioned to Greg a few weeks ago that I was going to sell my current set of CT 1.0 and mount up my backup set of 1.0, as why do I really need a backup set ???

Well that has changed as I am liking the CT more and more. I think my recent dabbling with an FIS SL has really improved my edging/technique and transferred that to the wider CT, resulting in even better edge grip. Until something surfaces with the unique attributes of the CT, I will hoard my inventory.
:thumb:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mentioned to Greg a few weeks ago that I was going to sell my current set of CT 1.0 and mount up my backup set of 1.0, as why do I really need a backup set ???

Well that has changed as I am liking the CT more and more. I think my recent dabbling with an FIS SL has really improved my edging/technique and transferred that to the wider CT, resulting in even better edge grip. Until something surfaces with the unique attributes of the CT, I will hoard my inventory.
:thumb:

1678897563214.jpeg

And yeah, FIS SL skis are a pathway to many abilities… ;)

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I've tried but these just aren't for me. I'm just not athletic enough to get much out of them but I'm sure one of youse guys can do them justice.

2021 CT 3.0 178cm
Aattack 13 bindings - set up at 304mm BSL, mounted -3cm behind the line.

See the listing over at Phil's Garage:

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
CT3.0s are a monster in pow glades (good thing). Only thing better in my quiver are the line pescados but those go away after a few runs/when it gets tracked out. I'd say my black ops are more damp and fast through crud but the CT3.0s are more ideal if there is going to be a mix of pow/stashes/moguls/hard pack.

Last edited:

chasinghorizons

Putting on skis
Skier
@SpeedyKevin and I had our matching CT 3's out at Mammoth today. I'm too small to use a Black Ops, but for me the CT3 has that monster truck feel where I can just crush everything in my path. They're sooo good for tracked out Sierra cement. And yet, they're also so loose and maneuverable in powder glades, which always surprises me. Carving on them on soft slush was fun too but they really do have a minimum speed limit for that, and on hard snow my tired legs were desperately wishing for my shorter narrower Dictator 2s. But overall, fantastic day.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had my 190 cm CT 3's out yesterday in the left overs from a 22" storm on Tuesday at Killington, Vt. Really fun ski now that I had the factory tune corrected. Amazing carver for a 112mm ski. Agree it has a monster truck feel but doesn't feel heavy and can pivot in trees and moguls really well. I have adjustable bindings on mine and I am still experimenting with mount position. I am a clyde, for me at -1 from factory line, the ski feels like its on roller skates. So easy to pivot. The carving is not as good at this point, however. At -2.5 the carving is really impressive along with edge grip. It looses some of its easy pivoting, though. It seems to work best from -1.5 to -2.0. It does seem quite responsive or sensitive to mount point, at least for my 240 lbs. I am still trying to decide if I like the carving and edge hold emphasized or the pivotability. I skied it at -1.7 yesterday and was mostly carving in the morning and mostly pivoting in the afternoon. I think I am going to like -2.0 the best as it makes the tip feel a little lighter for me and the ski feel the most balanced. I am 240 lbs, so your weight (presumably less than me) will shift the optimum mount point a bit forward or back depending on what you like.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Skied the last day of my West Coast trip at the smaller Norquay resort on the 183cm CT 2.0 skis. Had some short but perfectly sloped groomers that were awesome for high edge angle carving. Went up with a few locals up the lift and went up with them the next run as they were flying too on their 157cm and 165cm SL skis. Got the “you must have raced when you were younger as you can really lay those skis over!”
Yep, my twin tip, 102mm wide Sport Carvers came to play! Lol

Sponsor

Staff online