• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
The touring model might work well for you as a powder ski, but not as a crud buster. My son has a 2017 Bibby 184, last year of the playful charger design. I really liked the ski, but with me at 240 lbs, not enough float. My son is 5'10", 170 lbs and perfect for him. My friend who is a bit smaller than my son, has the 184 touring model and he doesn't like it for resort skiing, not damp enough. East Coast, so always some hard pack snow. I just bought a 190 2016 Bibby and skied it on Utah and steamboat. Powder days. It's a heavy ski and takes effort to throw it around in moguls. I hear you. Lots of pluses, but I know what you mean.

I agree with Greg, the first gen of the wildcat is what you want, or a lighter ski for pow and moguls.
Yeah the 2300g 190 Bibbys were a bit of a workout in tighter terrain but great in open terrain. I probably should give them another shot as my powder quiver (Black Crows Atris, Soul 7 HD, Liberty Origin 112, Moment Deathwish, Atomic Automatic 117 and DPS Lotus 138) is really lacking a damp crud buster. Plus, my ankle, and fore-aft-balance is in a much better place than when I sold the Bibbys so I may be able to appreciate them more.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah the 2300g 190 Bibbys were a bit of a workout in tighter terrain but great in open terrain. I probably should give them another shot as my powder quiver (Black Crows Atris, Soul 7 HD, Liberty Origin 112, Moment Deathwish, Atomic Automatic 117 and DPS Lotus 138) is really lacking a damp crud buster. Plus, my ankle, and fore-aft-balance is in a much better place than when I sold the Bibbys so I may be able to appreciate them more.
Nice quiver of powder skis!

Retaining stability at speed for a more maneuverable ski (for tight spaces, trees and soft moguls) is a conundrum:
more weight brings more stability, generally, and is less nimble. The same for longer length.
To get more stability, Moment developed the Chipotle Banana, which get turny, I've read, but not with real quickness.
These puppies are heavy.

Besides the 184 Bibby/Wildcat for midweight and smaller folks, the two or three skis I know that position in the middle,
more nimble but also more stable, may not work for bigger folk, and are not Moment skis.
The most likely candidate is probably the Dynastar M Free/formerly Proto 118/189, in its longest length only.
These things are nimble and stable both, for midweight and lighter folk at least. Playful chargers that do soft moguls and trees.

The other is the Head Kore 118, in its longest length. But it probably doesn't work for heavier guys in the same way it does for me,
doing both some nimble, and chop/crud stability.

For me, I once had a list that included the Rossi Super 7 HD and Bent Chet 120, others too,
but I finally decided that more crud/chop ability mattered more to me - less work and more stable for an older guy -
so I've ended up with more powder/chop skis that do crud well, restfully.
This has been at the expense of nimbleness.

Last edited:

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice quiver of powder skis!

Retaining stability at speed for a more maneuverable ski (for tight spaces, trees and soft moguls) is a conundrum:
more weight brings more stability, generally, and is less nimble. The same for longer length.
To get more stability, Moment developed the Chipotle Banana, which get turny, I've read, but not with real quickness.
These puppies are heavy.

Besides the 184 Bibby/Wildcat for midweight and smaller folks, the two or three skis I know that position in the middle,
more nimble but also more stable, may not work for bigger folk, and are not Moment skis.
The most likely candidate is probably the Dynastar M Free/formerly Proto 118/189, in its longest length only.
These things are nimble and stable both, for midweight and lighter folk at least. Playful chargers that do soft moguls and trees.

The other is the Head Kore 118, in its longest length. But it probably doesn't work for heavier guys in the same way it does for me,
doing both some nimble, and chop/crud stability.

For me, I once had a list that included the Rossi Super 7 HD and Bent Chet 120, others too,
but I finally decided that more crud/chop ability mattered more to me - less work and more stable for an older guy -
so I've ended up with more powder/chop skis that do crud well, restfully.
This has been at the expense of nimbleness.
I would like to try that Dynastar 118 (M Free, Menace, Proto whatever the current name is, lol) as it does sound like it could fit the bill. The 121 Revolt and Icelantic Nomad 115 are also supposed to be in that playful charger category. I may give the 190 Wildcat another go. There was so much I liked about it but with my ankle, it felt a little like giving a 900 HP sports car to a 16 year old...really nice to have the extra speed/power, but overkill when knowing I didn't need that top speed in crud. And figuring that to get that top speed, it would be less nimble.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To me, the longest 115 Nomad is like a bit flexible fat gs ski. It is good in crud/chop. It carves really well on groomers if not too hard here in Colorado: you can really lay it over. But it has a hard time once the groomer gets skied off. And it is not particularly playful.

The Revolt is a ski that wants a more upright pilot, pretty much.

The Dynastar 118 is a real option, just a bit carbony in feel.

skifotm

Booting up
Industry Insider
For anyone East of the Mississippi curious about all things Moment, Fire On The Mountain in Dover, NH has been selling Moment's for a couple of seasons so far. The Deathwish 104 and Commander 98 have been crushing it out here. They have demos of the following models: Deathwish 104, Wildcat 101 and Commander 98. Not a lot of options in the East to check these out in person so wanted to pass this along. They also stock Wildcat and Deathwish Tour models and the Hot Mess and Bella Tour for the ladies. Of course, plenty of binding options to go with the skis from Pivots to ATK. Give a call and get set up today for a test run. Snow is finally in the East!
All in stock Moment's now 20% off. It's spring baby!

Reactions: BC.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks Greg! Yeah, I almost dropped to the 184 Bibby when I sold my 190s but I'm 190-195 so I think the 190 is the right length. May keep my eyes open for a 2019. Given the heritage, I understand what Moment is doing with the newer builds, even if it's not for me. I wonder how much dampness the Wildcat tours give up with their lighter weight vs the normal build. Probably fairly substantial which means I'm likely better off with one of the other playful chargers.

I own the full weight Deathwish (2018/19 rock skis and 2021/22 daily driver) as well as the 2020/21 Deathwish Tour. My partner, Liz has the 2018/19 and 2020/21 full weight Wildcats as well as the 2021/22 Wildcat Tour.

There is a notable bump in stability between the 2018/19 (and presumably 2019/20) version and the later versions. The tour versions are still much less stable than the moments produced in the lighter years.

The lighter touring core is an excellent compromise for uphill travel, but I would never buy a moment touring ski for inbounds use...other than the commander tour, but it has metal, and is kind of heavy and more like an inbounds ski anyway.

Liz also owns a Deathwish (full weight) and says it is much more playful than both of her full weight Wildcats. If you are looking for something a bit quicker and more forgiving than current Wildcats, give the 190 Deathwish some thought. It won't be as nice in heavy chop as the wildcat, but it's very easy to ski...especially in tight places.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I own the full weight Deathwish (2018/19 rock skis and 2021/22 daily driver) as well as the 2020/21 Deathwish Tour. My partner, Liz has the 2018/19 and 2020/21 full weight Wildcats as well as the 2021/22 Wildcat Tour.

There is a notable bump in stability between the 2018/19 (and presumably 2019/20) version and the later versions. The tour versions are still much less stable than the moments produced in the lighter years.

The lighter touring core is an excellent compromise for uphill travel, but I would never buy a moment touring ski for inbounds use...other than the commander tour, but it has metal, and is kind of heavy and more like an inbounds ski anyway.

Liz also owns a Deathwish (full weight) and says it is much more playful than both of her full weight Wildcats. If you are looking for something a bit quicker and more forgiving than current Wildcats, give the 190 Deathwish some thought. It won't be as nice in heavy chop as the wildcat, but it's very easy to ski...especially in tight places.
I already own the 112 Deathwish and they are amazing on non-deep days. I went ahead and picked up another pair of the full weight Wildcat 118s a few weeks ago to have a more stable option in the quiver. I'll probably pick up a pair of the new BC Noctas (unless we can get Moment to come out with a 120 Deathwish) to try out as well as I have a feeling that may be just the right balance for what I'm looking for.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Any advice on going with a Wildcat 108 as a replacement for K2 Mindbender 108ti? Wanting to try a more forward mounted ski. This would be a soft snow ski in PNW.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If u guys can wait until after Easter…I will probably have a mint pair of 2021-2022 DW (190) w/Pivot 18 2.0’s up for sale….need them for my Easter trip next week to CO, then selling/need funds for the summer.….more than a quiver of skis.

Pm if interested…..they will priced to sell. 5AACC0E6-608A-45F8-9752-94AA129D9A9A.jpeg

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Any advice on going with a Wildcat 108 as a replacement for K2 Mindbender 108ti? Wanting to try a more forward mounted ski. This would be a soft snow ski in PNW.
They are pretty different skis. I haven't really gelled with my Mindbender 108ti, while the Wildcat 108 is one of my favorite skis.

Given its more twin tip profile, more forward mounting point, and lighter weight, the Wildcats are much more playful than the Mindbenders. Theoretically the Mindbenders should have a more planted feel on the snow, although I honestly don't necessarily feel that way for me personally anyway. The Wildcats are a pretty stiff ski so while they are playful they can still charge pretty well. The Wildcats are definitely worth a demo.

As long as you are checking out Moment and wanting to try a more forward mount point you should probably also demo the Deathwish which is their most popular ski. I like the Wildcats more, but everybody is different and the DW definitely has a cult following with the triple camber design.

Last edited:

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Preordered mine a few days ago. I had been waiting for this ski to drop.

That's despite having picked up a pair of Wildcat 108 after demoing them for two days at Big Sky in early March. So much fun. The Countach, however, seems to check all the boxes for me. Hoping they ship as projected and I can mount them for a trip to Mammoth in May.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Preordered mine a few days ago. I had been waiting for this ski to drop.

That's despite having picked up a pair of Wildcat 108 after demoing them for two days at Big Sky in early March. So much fun. The Countach, however, seems to check all the boxes for me. Hoping they ship as projected and I can mount them for a trip to Mammoth in May.
It's in between the old Bibby Pro/newest Wildcat and the Commanders.
Maybe it's a good blending of the best of both,
and therefore something new..

Please let us know how it does!

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't skied the Commanders, but I have Mantra 102s when I want something that really charges. The other ski I spent a lot of time on this season was the 4Frnt MSP 107, and had the opportunity to ski them side-by-side with the Wildcat 108s. So different. The 4Frnt is a great ski, I just felt it was a bit "dead" and that it also had a speed limit. But it handled all conditions really well. The WC108, on the other hand, is so lively and energetic and has no fear of going really, really fast. Made me feel like a kid again! I'm kind of hoping the Countach is similar to the 4Frnt MSP107 except a bit better in pow, a bit more stable at the top end, and more energetic. As I said, on paper it is if I dreamed it up myself.

Ordered another pair of Pivot 15s from Corbett's just for the Countach. They arrive today. I paid $186.89. Ludicrous.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've demoed the Moment Commander 108 (and also the 98 version) multiple times, and both seem to be for a person who wants a higher performance, more precise carving ski on at least shallow soft snow days, as well as on softer groomers, along with ability in powder/crud -
and maybe likes that "extra" performance in a single fat ski for a one or two ski quiver.

To me, for my profile, the Commander 108 is a ski that does add extra performance at carving groomers and shallow fresh snow,
but it pays a price for that: it is needlessly precise and exacting, for such a fat ski -
especially on soft snow days that would normally reward skis that are more forgiving and relaxing, even if chargers.

I tend to react with, "Why not just have a ski that takes advantage of the more forgiving nature of any soft snow, while also being great
in more powder/crud, at any speed, without the unnecessary precision and demand?"

But still, Moment seems to be saying, why not have a ski that is the best of both options, those of the Commanders and the Wildcats?
Why not have a ski that has the fun and reward of carving at least softer groomers even better, without the downside to this
of losing the playfulness and fun of those Bibby/Wildcats?

As an owner and fan still of at least the 184 Bibby Pro (and thus probably the recent, damper Wildcats),
this sounds promising to me for a lot of skiers.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^ I'm on there everyday, "hoping" a 184 Wildcat doesn't suddenly appear! They have the 179, but I think with the mount point that would just be too little ski out front for my tastes, despite my lack of size.

The Countach* arrive tomorrow. Excited to get my hands on them. I fly out to Reno on Saturday, and while I had planned on swinging by Moment before driving down Mammoth, I just found out that they are on summer hours and are only open T-F. So, I guess that means I'll stop by on my way back to Reno on Wednesday. Hoping to get the factory tour and maybe find something laying around to bring home.

I have the Wildcat 108, but with the Countach 110 there may be too much overlap. The Wildcat might be a better addition. Or, I'm crazily thinking about the Chipotle Banana if and when it comes back in stock.

* Is there a plural for Countach? Countaches? No, can't be!

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
The more I look at the Countach, the more I want it :D But, I keep reminding myself that I already have an awesome 112mm wide ski lol.... Won't say no to a Chipotle Banana though