• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Ogasaka Discussion

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_0894.jpg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s against the rules. One doesn’t simply start a thread naming it “Never-ending…’ This title change/addition is made by the moderators after the thread has reached 100+ pages. :ogbiggrin:

Sweet ski otherwise…

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stiffness comparison between my short to mid turn carvers ordered softest to stiffest (left to right). The Numero Uno RCs and the eRace Pros are about the same, with the XCs stiffer than both. But the mid-body of the Ogasaka TC-SU is by far the stiffest of the bunch. Looking at the sidewall profile it is clear why: it's similar to a nordic ski, thick in the middle, thin on the ends. On that same note, the tips and tails of the TC-SU are about the softest of the bunch, even compared to the AM77, but just at the very ends.

IMG_0900.jpeg

The chief designer and pro athletics on the TC-SU:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are so many skis like these are have no presence in the states, it is a shame. Don't forget the Lusti options in this range too.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The last Oggie I skied as a DD was the old EC-R, which predates FLF. No idea how FLF would feel on an Ogasaka.

Interestingly, Palmer use the same moniker; Kessler and Zag have similar ideas.

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love to hear how the SU skis!
I have a huge respect for the quality of the Ogasaka skis…superbly made and finished.

My ragged collection of a bunch of Ogasaka ski reviews is at

http://exoticskis.com/Forum/default.aspx?g=topics&f=6

I've only had it out a couple times and both were poor conditions for this ski, so I'm still waiting for our groomers to be in decent shape to give it another go. I can say the ski is all business; specifically the business of short turn competitions. I was expecting an SL-like ski, i.e. heavy and compliant, but I was surprised by the low weight especially swing weight. But what really threw me was the flex profile: pretty soft on the tips and tails, but the long mid-body of this ski is very stiff, more so than any FIS SL I've hand flexed. This combination of stiff flex and low swing weight had me getting bucked around in the firm, chopped up, off piste conditions I took it in -- yes, I was asking for it. I did manage a few turns on the limited sections of smooth slope I could find. Here it gave a glimpse of its potential. Very distinct edge engagement followed by my feet getting pushed under me faster than I anticipated. Can't wait to ski it in good conditions!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But what really threw me was the flex profile: pretty soft on the tips and tails, but the long mid-body of this ski is very stiff, more so than any FIS SL I've hand flexed. This combination of stiff flex and low swing weight had me getting bucked around in the firm, chopped up, off piste conditions I took it in -- yes, I was asking for it. <SNIP> Here it gave a glimpse of its potential. Very distinct edge engagement followed by my feet getting pushed under me faster than I anticipated. Can't wait to ski it in good conditions!

Make sure to practice your both-skis-flat-on-snow transitions with them. Those are like, ideal for that. Even at super-slow speeds.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Nice to hear about these skis, which are big in Japan. But given that most of us are not in Japan, would be good to know where one can try/buy these skis outside Japan.

Of course a trip to Japan is worth it on so many levels other than trying this ski, but if there...

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Eric Edelstein , I wonder if the Ogasaka short turn competition model went through some significant changes. This year's model is more stiff than most skis I've been on. You have a photo of the midsection profile from your review of the TC-SK:

And here is a closeup of the midsection on my TC-SU:

IMG_0915.jpg

Judging from the relative thickness of the plate and the height of the serial numbers, this year's ski looks about 30-40% thicker. I'm anxious to spend more time on these skis. Just curious if this level of stiffness is a new design element or if it is typical of Ogasaka designs.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That’s against the rules. One doesn’t simply start a thread naming it “Never-ending…’ This title change/addition is made by the moderators after the thread has reached 100+ pages. :ogbiggrin:

Sweet ski otherwise…
I kinda agree with this.
You can't really call it "never ending" until it becomes .... ummm...lengthy.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally got a full day on my Ogasaka TS-SUs. Two days since the last storm so I was assuming the cruising runs were in good shape -- they were. Started out the day on Chair 8 skiing Daytona and Big Hemi -- Baker's only sustained groomers -- and a few laps on Borders to practice some drills. Previously these skis gave me some difficult; I found they were jittery in bumped up snow, hard for me to keep straight in snow that's less than perfect. Today I was able to spend the whole morning working carved and brushed short turns, which helped me figure out how these skis need to be driven. The radii on these 170s are perfect for how I ski. I'm not a fast skier nor does Baker have the real estate for high speed, long turn carving, so it's much fun to start edging in at lower speeds and tighter spaces.

These TS-SUs are stiffer than my other carving skis by a considerable amount. Not surprisingly they provide a high level of edge hold. On my other skis often I experience an edging collapse where the outside ski drops off, collapsing on a pocket of soft snow on the apex of a turn; not necessarily a boot-out condition, but a spontaneous and brief loss of grip. I have yet to experience this condition on the Ogasakas. It feels more like standing on a concrete floor on one foot, knee slightly bent ... carrying a bag of groceries in each arm ... where the clerk loaded all the milk and laundry detergent in one bag and put the two watermelons in the other.

Snow started mid morning and continued heavily for the rest of the day: a full-on Baker reverse powder day it turns out. At lunch I contemplated going to the car for my wider skis, but didn't. I was having too much fun. Rest of the day I spent lapping Chair 6 and hitting Canuck's and Honkers, both black bump runs. The morning practice sessions paid off as I was in much better control off piste in the afternoon.

Heading out of Bellingham in the morning, a lenticular cloud covering the volcano. The only blue sky all day.
IMG_0916.jpeg

Bad picture, but the Ogasaka logo matches my pants. Riding the single line all day, my chairmates on their 120mm planks -- mind you there was only 3" of new snow at this point -- were asking me about my skis, all were very curious.
IMG_0920.jpeg

Canuck's below Chair 6.
IMG_0921.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Out of curiosity, did anyone notice the ... tsunami... of used skis, both Oggies and Vector Glides, being listed on US eBay, delivery from Japan?

At, honestly, somewhat ridonculous luxury prices?

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I popped off the plate on my TC-SUs to see about mounting the Protectors via the Multiflex PR Base. Looking down the screw holes left by the plate I see metal threads all the way to the bottom. Ogasaka puts metal inserts in their skis. What other company does that?

strix

Terminal Intermediate
Skier
Fun skis! Rented these on a groomer day at Grand Hirafu. Nice for quick carved turns. Weren’t as responsive as my Redsters, but it felt like they were tuned to have a less aggressive base bevel. Would be fun to try these out with more aggressive tuning. Not $1.2k of fun, but fun nonetheless.

Bet you can spot my line in the photo.

Attachments

• 89F31B61-692D-4D9E-8B20-D0C281E5B1FB.jpeg
    89F31B61-692D-4D9E-8B20-D0C281E5B1FB.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 51
TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fantastic spring day at Baker on my Ogasakas! Lots of bump runs. Lots of high angle carving. Lots of fun, snappy short turns. These skis, more than any other, have made me a better skier. Lately everyone's clamoring about FIS SLs. Meanwhile, I'm loving my tech-comp skis from Japan.

IMG_1180.jpeg

Sponsor