• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Peak By Bode Miller Skis Discussion Thread

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Talking of Head, is anyone looking at ^that, and looking at the "front country skiing" language - along with the waist sizes - and getting mental images of the old Head Flight series? The ones with the fancy "stabilising exoskeleton"?

Head Venturi, Collective, Cyclic, Turbine, all with helo names and primary/black contrast?

Unfortunately for Head, the only racey person we sort of saw on them was - Warner Nickerson, on his own vlogs.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
You don't think there is some revisionist history going on from Bode here? Sure he's intellectually curious and a lot of a maverick but a lifelong designer and engineer?

I'm quite sure he is not an engineer, maybe a designer.

Designer: I want the ski to be twice as stiff in this area. Make it twice as thick?

Engineer: We will make the ski thicker by the cube root of 2. (Because stiffness goes up by the cube of the thickness). If we made it twice as thick, it would be 8 times as stiff.

One is a design input, the other is an engineering input.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Talking of Head, is anyone looking at ^that, and looking at the "front country skiing" language - along with the waist sizes - and getting mental images of the old Head Flight series? The ones with the fancy "stabilising exoskeleton"?

Head Venturi, Collective, Cyclic, Turbine, all with helo names and primary/black contrast?

Unfortunately for Head, the only racey person we sort of saw on them was - Warner Nickerson, on his own vlogs.

And it doesn't matter a lick to the park, X games, and freeride crowd, but there's certainly video of Julia, Axel, and Ted on them.

Meanwhile, I'm thoroughly enjoying a full on free ski day and didn't for a moment think about Bode or much anything else. No radio, no coaching, no MA, no putting out fires... nice!

Bacchus

Booting up
Skier
I love Bode Miller as a downhill racer but I would be seriously hesitant to buys skis designed by Bode that are geared towards off-piste terrain and softer snow conditions with there being no video of Bode skiing that terrain and those conditions. I have no idea if Bode even likes to ski off-piste.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I love Bode MIller as a downhill racer but I would be seriously hesitant to buys skis designed by Bode that are geared towards off-piste terrain and softer snow conditions with there being no video of Bode skiing that terrain and those conditions. I have no idea if Bode even likes to ski off-piste.
Rest assured, Bode is a really good off-piste skier. Better that just about any of us here. You have no idea about how good most high-level racers are in free-skiing situations.

Bacchus

Booting up
Skier
Rest assured, Bode is a really good off-piste skier. Better that just about any of us here. You have no idea about how good most high-level racers are in free-skiing situations.
That may be so, but I still would still like see him ski the terrain in those new Peak skis.

If Bode designed a frontside carving ski, then obviously no need to question.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Almost undoubtedly true. I used to ski a fair bit with an accomplished ex-racer. Occasionally, he would show up on a powder day on SL skis because "it keeps me on my toes".

We never had to wait for him.....

I'm curious about the shape of the new skis, as they seem to have very little, at least in the 98.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"Rest assured, Bode is a really good off-piste skier. Better that just about any of us here. You have no idea about how good most high-level racers are in free-skiing situations."

Yup....that is TRUTH.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
hmm yet he's kept this "keyhole" idea a secret from every other company that was subsequently paying for his development input?
Maybe no one would listen to his far fetched, unconventional ideas. Even Rossi who originally implemented seems to have thrown it aside (I have no idea if Rossi still uses this technology?). So what do you do, you start your own ski company & design a ski you like & you think other skiers will like. I’m sure many of us would’ve liked to have had the ability & opportunity to do something like this.
More power to him, hope it works out!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That may be so, but I still would still like see him ski the terrain in those new Peak skis.
LOL. Please stop. You are saying "That Bobby Fischer guy was pretty good at chess, but can he play checkers?" or that Lewis Hamelton guy is a pretty good race car driver, but how is he in mid town traffic" :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Bacchus

Booting up
Skier
LOL. Please stop. You are saying "That Bobby Fischer guy was pretty good at chess, but can he play checkers?" or that Lewis Hamelton guy is a pretty good race, but how is he in mid town traffic" :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Will be interesting to see if Peak becomes the new ski you push like Augment was last year lol.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
So what do you do, you start your own ski company & design a ski you like & you think other skiers will like. I’m sure many of us would’ve liked to have had the ability & opportunity to do something like this.
More power to him, hope it works out!
More like become a co-owning partner in ski brand #1 and not use the design, become a co-owning partner in ski brand #2 and not use the design, then become a co-owning partner in ski brand #3 and finally do what you said. Or it's just marketing fluff...

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Will be interesting to see if Peak becomes the new ski you push like Augment was last year lol.
I’m pretty sure you didn’t ski the Augment. I did and for an extended period of time. really didn’t want to give them back ( and my regular ski is a Kastle). I’m curious about Peaks precisely because they have a similar shape to Augments. Time will tell if the construction and quality is comparable. At what they charge, I doubt it. Now go back to speculating about Bode‘s freeskiing skills, it is hilarious.

here is another accomplished racer on an ungroomed terrain, can she ski off piste?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Have to say, the Augment 88 is a hell of a great ski. Yes, skied it and hill rep for a major brand. That said, it's not for everyone.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It's always a bit disappointing to me when I hear all the marketing sizzle; I'm only interested in the steak. It's a bit more disappointing when the sizzle is obviously fake. I've read lots of interesting stuff on the origin of shaped skis, from snowboarders to some dude in the 60s that couldn't get a big enough buy-in (or couldn't quite get it right :huh: ); maybe the market wasn't ready yet. @James might remember that sort of thing, I don't.
Still, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. I suspect they will be great skis, and this whole new company as opposed to a new line, a really clever intricate way to get more publicity. And maybe also the false claims too - like misspelling a word on a billboard.

Sponsor

Staff online