• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
search for threads by "Dawgcatching", he sold Stockli's and did regular reviews on them.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Along those lines: can someone enlighten me about Laser AX vs. Laser SX? Thanks.
I used to own the SX and now own the AX. Both are great skis. My challenge is that most of my skiing is off piste, or more properly stated at resorts where there is much less grooming by design. SX is a great front side ski. Fast and smooth, but clearly prefers the groomers. Not a fun ski in powder, trees ... etc. The SX is a precise ski but you need to drive it and take an always on approach. The AX is a much more accessible ski. It is a greater carver, and has a nice flex profile. It is also quite versatile and performs will in light POW, trees, bumps, moguls ... etc. It is also much more forgiving than the SX. That said the SX is definitely the higher performance ski. So depending what you want both skis are great. Personally I went for the versatility as I like to ski varied conditions and also like the fact that the AX is a little more forgiving.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is how I like to ski. Not many do, though. Then I go for the chase and get sloppy. :rolleyes:

Slow is relative.
The mantra for @Sandy_NYC first few week at Squaw was "Think slow. Ski slower." The focus was fundamentals, balance & patience.
At Mammoth, that was changed to "Ski fast, but feel slow." She nailed that one too.

Difference between internal and external frame of reference.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The mantra for @Sandy_NYC first few week at Squaw was "Think slow. Ski slower." The focus was fundamentals, balance & patience.

Kidding aside, this indeed is not easy.
I tried to practice the exercise you described somewhere here earlier this year: try to bring yourself to a full stop atop of the bump without doing anything to actually stop-kinda zen-stop without stopping and found it very difficult and very challenging. Half the time I was losing my patience and just turned the tips downhill and blasted through the stuff. Many times I overshoot the top of the bump and only occasionally it worked. Takes discipline to do it and I am a bit lacking in that department. :ogbiggrin:
But at least I realized why so many love SL skis and why I don't.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
hmm kinda got lost, but nobody knows if its the same ski or changes between 181cm 2021 laser sx and 2020 184 laser sx?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kidding aside, this indeed is not easy.
I tried to practice the exercise you described somewhere here earlier this year: try to bring yourself to a full stop atop of the bump without doing anything to actually stop-kinda zen-stop without stopping and found it very difficult and very challenging. Half the time I was losing my patience and just turned the tips downhill and blasted through the stuff. Many times I overshoot the top of the bump and only occasionally it worked. Takes discipline to do it and I am a bit lacking in that department. :ogbiggrin:

Patience Yoda.jpg

Shape your turns to develop your line. Allow your line to control your speed.
Best to start on the groomed.

But at least I realized why so many love SL skis and why I don't.

:huh:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Fondled the SR 102 & 95 at a shop here a few weeks back. The 102 is particularly lovely, and such a smooth, even flex.

DJD

Booting up
Skier
So now the question is whether to add an SR95 or or an SR102 to my current "quiver" of an AX. Any suggestions?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The 2021-2022 ski collection is now on the Stöckli website.
It appears that they are now positioning the Laser CX as a women's model.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would love to hear what @LindseyB has to say about the SR95 vs SR102. This coming from someone who loves his AX, and is looking to add a second pair of skis. Thanks.

If you need 100+ you will not go for 102, you will go for 110..ish. Or wider.

Whatever your second pair is, there will be a third one, so buy whatever you want. You won’t stop here anyway.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My Stormrider Motion 85s and 100s are aging out. Probably have a couple more seasons in them (hoping). Likely replacing the 85s with a pair of Stockli Laser AR, another SR 85 found online or the SR 88. SR 100s will probably get replaced with the 102s. I just picked up a pair of SR 95s. Definitely have stockli'itis.

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
Your assessment of the Stöckli line up is accurate.

I would choose between the 175 GS and the SC considering 2 variables.

If the force of the GS is the most exciting factor and you are committed to strengthening your cardio so you don't have to rest, then maybe it is the ski for you would love most.

If you want a fun ski regardless of the conditions, turn shape, and days on mountain then I would go with the SC. You can rally it the first day of the year to the last. You don't have to be in your best ski shape to enjoy the ski top to bottom. It will give you many turn shape options. Just make sure you have the higher performance binding option if you purchase the SC.

But maybe the power of the GS is too tempting???

Hi Lindsey, I have decided to hang on to the FIS SX for now and hopefully grow into them despite not having tried them out yet :( I got a season pass for Deer Valley this year because PC was brutally over-crowded last year. So, that being said, what would be a great precursor ski to the FIS SX for practicing on the shorter gates of Nastar. Stockli GS? SC? Was also looking at new Atomic G9 Revo. I am guessing that shooting for a radius of 17-18m makes the most sense of Nastar? Thanks, Peter

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
The WRT ST is a different beast from my Stöckli FIS SL skis. My FIS SL skis are from quite a few years ago and I have them mounted with a Tyrolia race plate. Those skis have so much power and rebound that must be dealt with on every turn. No relaxing on those puppies. I didn't feel that way at all on the WRT ST. It has the same solid feeling, but with more "composure" and was definitely more "accessible" without requiring so much effort to control the power. Basically, for me it had all the pluses of my FIS SL skis without the minuses. So yeah, I think it's more of a blend of the attributes... as you stated "something in between". :)
How would STs do on a Nastar course versus Laser GS with gates likely placed 14-18m apart?

Sponsor