• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, but not 95s on groomers. Something narrower than the AXs. I'll look into SC or SL and may take whatever they have. What about WRT? More demanding than the AXs?

Take your pick.

1637993713318.png

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What about WRT? More demanding than the AXs?

A bit... :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: But if you can find them for demo-by all means. Comparing the AX to the WRT ST is like comparing fine and smooth milk chocolate to 98% dark chocolate with Mexican chilies in it. Lotsa chilies. And I am talking Habanero here. Different animals altogether.

Of all piste skis from Stockli there is only one I really want to demo-the 188 FIS GS. Well this and perhaps the 207/210 FIS SG but with these I have the feeling I will have my ass handed over to me rather quickly. :roflmao:

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly I'd love to hear a first hand account of what the current CX is skiing like. It's the one Stöckli that gets almost no attention here. I took a couple of runs on one but it was probably ten years ago. I - and presumably it - have changed. Maybe we should get @Henry to buy one so we can find out.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Honestly I'd love to hear a first hand account of what the current CX is skiing like. It's the one Stöckli that gets almost no attention here. I took a couple of runs on one but it was probably ten years ago. I - and presumably it - have changed. Maybe we should get @Henry to buy one so we can find out.

I have the 2014 version and had the 2019 version. The 2019 version was practically FIS-level stiff so I sold it. I really wanted a ski similar to my 2014's flex pattern. Supposedly Stockli has reworked the CX for the past 2 seasons and it's now lighter and softer, but I haven't yet skied the revised version. It might again be the perfect groomer zoomer ski for me for when we have hard surface conditions.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Laser CX advertising blurbs: "The new lightweight construction makes the Laser CX even more agile than the previous model, which means more ski fun for less effort." Sounds wonderful "The Laser CX design has also been tuned in two important ways: the widest point of the shovel has moved towards the back of the ski, and the tail end has a slight rocker. This makes the Laser CX more playful, easier to handle and even more fun than before." Terrific! ....err--can we trust the ad writer?

Laser SC: "A true all-rounder. Convincing in every snow condition" "this ski offers endless fun. All day long" Well--If you can't trust the ad writer, who can you trust?

At least with rentals, I can switch skis with anything else they have in the shop, and get something from another shop in the chain by the next day. I'd take my AXs, but Lufthansa has punitive ski baggage rates. $461. Each way to & from the U.S. If I was looking for skis to buy, I could buy them for about that price (maybe not Stöckli), have the shop ship them home by air freight, and the 20% VAT refund covers the air freight.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Beautiful machine. I’m told there are only a handful in the USA. Had them spec a 1/2-3 as per Mike at SkiMD, Mike used to tune for me back on the east coast and the first to tune my SR 107s with a Vario edge tune.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can the machine take different settings for each pair of skis?

What does it cost? I'd think it would have to run all night, every night, lots of pairs of skis, to cover its lease or purchase cost.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes... and in the video they show how you can put a QR code on each pair that it can read, so you don't even need to program anything if you tune those skis again.
QR codes are changing civilization.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Wintersteiger Jupiter looks like the latest version of their Mercury model which my local shop has and I remember hearing it was around $300k US.
Think the old Mercury could do up to 30 pairs of skis an hour and see the Jupiter quotes “up to 70 pairs”an hour!!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Has to be twice that and then some. Robotic machines were $250k 20 years ago and much simpler. Software upgrades are 10-20k on machines.
The Mercury came out in 2013 at $300k so I’m sure they are more expensive now!

Edit-Looked at older Wintersteiger catalogs and the new Jupiter more the replacement of the larger Discovery machine which was the higher capacity Mercury. So the Jupiter might indeed be a few nice exotic cars in price!

And I paid $10 for a stone grind last week on their older Mercury so they better be making their money back off other people! Haha

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
What does it cost? I'd think it would have to run all night, every night, lots of pairs of skis, to cover its lease or purchase cost.
It would be interesting to see the economics. I’m thinking it’s somewhat like farm machinery.

Until these machines have some sort of feedback loop for checking the work, (mostly base flatness), they’re not any better, and can be much worse, than a skilled operator on a hand fed base grinder. Which isn’t cheap either.

The variable side edge angle is no big plus afaik. I’m not even a fan of the variable base bevel.
QR code means they’ll ruin your AX edge geometry like the factory if you’re not a low level skier.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It would be interesting to see the economics. I’m thinking it’s somewhat line farm machinery.

Until these machines have some sort of feedback loop for checking the work, (mostly base flatness), they’re not any better, and can be much worse, than a skilled operator on a hand fed base grinder. Which isn’t cheap either.

The variable side edge angle is no big plus afaik. I’m not even a fan of the variable base bevel.
QR code means they’ll ruin your AX edge geometry like the factory if you’re not a low level skier.
James, you can rent my old Eeyore avatar for a few days if you want. You know, take the heat off me for a while as the resident cynic.

James

Out There
Instructor
James, you can rent my old Eeyore avatar for a few days if you want. You know, take the heat off me for a while as the resident cynic.
What’s up with the calm lake scene? Fishing I doubt, too random and uncooperative.
Get thee to a bootfitter!

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is that ruin or run your geometry Eeyore,,,
er,,,,I mean,,,, James ?
What’s happening to you guys on the east coast ? A wee bit gloomier than usual, there is snow in VT, yes ?

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
"I’m not even a fan of the variable base bevel."
It can be a good introduction to someone going to a more acute edge angle for the first time. Say a .7° base that is feathered to 1° for the first foot on the shovel and the last half-foot on the tail. I've been told by an expert skier (former freestyle competitor) that it's his favorite for west coast snow, but I haven't noticed the difference when I tried it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is that ruin or run your geometry Eeyore,,,
er,,,,I mean,,,, James ?
What’s happening to you guys on the east coast ? A wee bit gloomier than usual, there is snow in VT, yes ?
Barely snow. Barely anyone to run the equipment some places. Real estate boon is a bust for employees.

Lol. Last time I was at Big Sky, Lou Rosenfeld brought some skis from his shop in Calgary to demo. He had a Stockli VXL with Vist plate. Awesome setup, heavy as hell. So I’m coming down one of those chutes off Lone Peak, I head for the ridge of untracked fresh powder… So bright white! I make a few turns, great snow, then feel the grab of a rock and hear a click as the ski comes off.

We took the deep gouge to one of the shops up there. Start telling him the bevels. He says, “I can tell you guys are from the East, talking about these angles. I don’t do that, I’m just going to fill it and smooth it. No angles. “ That was

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January