• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stöckli newbie question. I'm interested in the WRT ST, SX or SC. Haven't decided which one yet. But I can't find the SC anywhere in 170 cm. And the SX and WRT ST are really hard to find too. Am I just too late for this season? Is there any way to order a pair from Stöckli? Or can a local shop order them?
Ski Essantials is out of that length but Corbett’s has them (in CAD):

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I think you just knocked the AX (only Stöckli I've skied) out of the position of my dream 1 ski-quiver "out west" ski. I like a good groomer ski (which the AX clearly was) but my heart lies off piste. The AX is too fast anyway, I have to wait too long for my wife to catch up :roflmao:
So I also own the AX, which replaced my laser SX. While the AX is very versatile and I know some folks have skied it off piste, it is a very different ski than the SR95. If you are looking for a strong frotnside ski that is good a for a little off Piste I would recommend the SR88, which I also own, it is a powerful and precise ski that is great on the frontside but also capable off piste.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stöckli newbie question. I'm interested in the WRT ST, SX or SC. Haven't decided which one yet.

What do you expect from the ski? What should they do for you?

WRTs compared to the SC are like a tequila shot/s to a glass of fine wine.

switters

Booting up
Skier
What do you expect from the ski? What should they do for you?

WRTs compared to the SC are like a tequila shot/s to a glass of fine wine.
Interesting comparison! I've read reviews of each. I'm looking for a dedicated carver with stability at higher speeds / medium-to-long radius turns but that can be bent into shorter radius turns as well. I have the Head e.Magnums 170 cm 13 m radius and the Blizzard Firebird WRC 180 cm 18 m radius. There are things I like about both of these skis, but I'd like to consolidate into one ski that can replace attributes of both of these.

I was originally leaning toward the WRT ST, but after reading a bit more now think the SC might be better for what I need. Curious to hear your experience if you've skied both.

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone on the new AR? I'm assuming it's more forgiving than the AX.
I have both the AR in 175 and the SX in 170. Man, I love them both. Havent skied the AX. The SX is more powerful and quicker edge to edge. Tenacious grip on wind blown groomers, glare ice, and firm snow. Simply amazing with catapult like energy out of the turn.

The AR is powerful, but softer and easier to flex than the SX. So smooth and stable with excellent grip. More versatile than the SX and awesome for a few inches of crud, particularly on the beat up afternoon groomers. Love their flex in the bumps. Both love speed and medium to long turns. They prefer to be on edge, although slarving is no problem. Truly brilliant skis.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting comparison! I've read reviews of each. I'm looking for a dedicated carver with stability at higher speeds / medium-to-long radius turns but that can be bent into shorter radius turns as well. I have the Head e.Magnums 170 cm 13 m radius and the Blizzard Firebird WRC 180 cm 18 m radius. There are things I like about both of these skis, but I'd like to consolidate into one ski that can replace attributes of both of these.

I was originally leaning toward the WRT ST, but after reading a bit more now think the SC might be better for what I need. Curious to hear your experience if you've skied both.

SC

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
I demo’ed the Nela 88 today at Palisades. I almost skipped it, since demo-ing there has gotten more complicated. They used to have a mid-mountain demo station where you could swap out skis without having to take off your boots, but it’s not open due to the staffing shortage, so you actually have to ski down to the bottom and walk through the village. So I had to be judicious in my selections as I figured I could only get to 3 or 4 skis today. And I’ll have to add one or two more demo days to my plan.

I had done some more research and I was afraid the Nela wouldn’t be “all mountain” enough for when I hit some moguls or want to ski in the trees a bit. The tail has almost no rocker and a more squared off shape, so I thought it would make releasing the tail more difficult in those situations.

The guy at the demo shop and I actually chatted about that and he said that he did notice that when he skied the SR compared with some of the other skis they had there. But after the Volkl Secret and Mindbender 98 (I wanted to try the 88, but they don’t demo it - still looking for that one), based on my comments, he said I should give the Nela 88 a try. He actually recommended it over the 96 (and people here always recommend wider) - he thought I’d like it better.

Wow! Color me impressed! Cut through the crud and I took it on some bumps, and it performed way better than I had anticipated. I had no issue releasing the tails and they were nimble, but also went through the ungroomed stuffand the slush that had started to form (it was a bit warm today).

I may still try the 96s - but I definitely liked the 88s. I actually kept them and am going to ski a few more runs on them at Alpine tomorrow and also see what demo skis they have available there. I’m still a little nervous about their versatility. And I really want to try the Santa Ana 93s and try and find the Mindbender 88s.

Oh, I went with the 152s over the 160s. I’m 5’1” (155 cm). The demo shop guy and I talked about the ski length and thought the shorter ski would be more “forgiving” with the tail release.

I'm shopping/researching on behalf of my wife for a new daily driver and the Nela 88 is top of list (YES, I know, she needs to demo them but as an owner of the AR...i'd love to get her on Stockli's:). That said, the Fischer Ranger 94 FR W and Santa Ana 88 or 93 are also on my list. She is an advancing intermediate, but slightly cautious (as opposed to her speed loving husband on his AR). At 5'5 ~120lbs, I feel like on the Nela 88 she's between sizes 152 vs 160?
We ski pretty much exclusively at Alpine Meadows or Squaw (pal) and ski 30+ days a season...
Feedback for her?

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I'm shopping/researching on behalf of my wife for a new daily driver and the Nela 88 is top of list (YES, I know, she needs to demo them but as an owner of the AR...i'd love to get her on Stöckli's:). That said, the Fischer Ranger 94 FR W and Santa Ana 88 or 93 are also on my list. She is an advancing intermediate, but slightly cautious (as opposed to her speed loving husband on his AR). At 5'5 ~120lbs, I feel like on the Nela 88 she's between sizes 152 vs 160?
We ski pretty much exclusively at Alpine Meadows or Squaw (pal) and ski 30+ days a season...
Feedback for her?

She can demo both Santa Ana's (88 and 93) and the Nela 88 at Pali (that's what I'm calling it for now). I saw the Santa Ana 88s in the Alpine demo shop as well. Note that as of last week, the Gold Coast demo shop was closed due to staffing shortages (they said they're working on it), so to swap skis, you have to walk through the village. But she can do laps on Red Dog to see what she likes.

I also have the AX, which is why I was drawn to the Nela. I also demo'ed the Santa Ana 93 - and those and the Nela 88 were my two favorites out of the 5 skis I tested. The Santa Ana 93 is a bit of a heavier ski, so she might prefer the lightness of the Nela. Both seemed damp enough for the Tahoe cement. Tough call on sizes. While she is taller, she's light for her height, so she might prefer the shorter model. She could demo both sizes to see what she's more comfortable on. I still plan to test the Nela 96 in a 156 as an all-mountain option as well.

@AmyPJ - have you also skied the Santa Ana 88 or 93? ANy comparison thoughts? Or thoughts on the Nela 88 ski length?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
She can demo both Santa Ana's (88 and 93) and the Nela 88 at Pali (that's what I'm calling it for now). I saw the Santa Ana 88s in the Alpine demo shop as well. Note that as of last week, the Gold Coast demo shop was closed due to staffing shortages (they said they're working on it), so to swap skis, you have to walk through the village. But she can do laps on Red Dog to see what she likes.

I also have the AX, which is why I was drawn to the Nela. I also demo'ed the Santa Ana 93 - and those and the Nela 88 were my two favorites out of the 5 skis I tested. The Santa Ana 93 is a bit of a heavier ski, so she might prefer the lightness of the Nela. Both seemed damp enough for the Tahoe cement. Tough call on sizes. While she is taller, she's light for her height, so she might prefer the shorter model. She could demo both sizes to see what she's more comfortable on. I still plan to test the Nela 96 in a 156 as an all-mountain option as well.

@AmyPJ - have you also skied the Santa Ana 88 or 93? ANy comparison thoughts? Or thoughts on the Nela 88 ski length?
I owned and skied the Santa Ana 88 for 3 seasons in a 165. I was not enamored with them after the removed the extra sheet of titanal last season so moved onto a Nela 88 in a 160. I am also 5'5" and weigh 127 lbs and am on the 160 and would not want to go shorter. It really depends on what she's on now if the 160 would be a huge change in length. The 160 Nela feels similar in length to the 165 Santa Ana because of the rocker in the SA. Back to back, the Nela actually is a tiny bit longer as far as contact length. I have found that I like the precise feeling less rocker gives combined with a shorter length that feels more maneuverable. It is also a lighter ski yet a lot "quieter" IMO in junky snow.

Don't get me wrong, the Santa Ana is a really great ski, I just wish they had left the two sheets of titanal in it (for the 88 at least) as I preferred the dampness it provided without sacrificing it's quickness.

Most skis I've been on always leave me wanting a bit more in one way or another, but so far the Nela has not let me down. I have not skied it in deep powder yet, but did not buy it to ski deep powder. I have a Santa Ana 98 for that (yes, I am a fan of the SA series for sure.)

Last edited:

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
I owned and skied the Santa Ana 88 for 3 seasons in a 165. I was not enamored with them after the removed the extra sheet of titanal last season so moved onto a Nela 88 in a 160. I am also 5'5" and weigh 127 lbs and am on the 160 and would not want to go shorter. It really depends on what she's on now if the 160 would be a huge change in length. The 160 Nela feels similar in length to the 165 Santa Ana because of the rocker in the SA. Back to back, the Nela actually is a tiny bit longer as far as contact length. I have found that I like the precise feeling less rocker gives combined with a shorter length that feels less more maneuverable. It is also a lighter ski yet a lot "quieter" IMO in junky snow.

Don't get me wrong, the Santa Ana is a really great ski, I just wish they had left the two sheets of titanal in it (for the 88 at least) as I preferred the dampness it provided without sacrificing it's quickness.

Most skis I've been on always leave me wanting a bit more in one way or another, but so far the Nela has not let me down. I have not skied it in deep powder yet, but did not buy it to ski deep powder. I have a Santa Ana 98 for that (yes, I am a fan of the SA series for sure.)
Thanks for the feedback - Good summary. My wife is currently on 153 QST 85; it's a very average ski but has severed her well in building confidence over the past few seasons as we get back into skiing after a long break. I'd like her to build on that confidence; maybe I'll see if Pali has 152 and 160 in the Nela 88 to try; as stated....she's ideally in between but erroring on the shorter might prove to be the smarter choice given feedback here. The Nela 96 could be a good fit too....I have yet to see any Comparisions of it to the 88......
Ironically, the new more forgiving Santa Ana is prob an advantage to my wife given her solid intermediate ski status (ie not hard charger). (An aside, I believe the Black Pearl became more aggressive and damper thus flip flopping with the Santa Ana in the new models).

Last edited:

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
maybe I'll see if Pali has 152 and 160 in the Nela 88 to try; as stated....she's ideally in between but erroring on the shorter might prove to be the smarter choice given feedback here.
Pali has both sizes in their demo inventory. Whether they're in that day or out on the slopes - well, that's a different question....

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
What should I do in this situation? I ordered and -- after some delays for trans-atlantic shipping and customs clearance -- finally received yesterday a WRT-ST from one of the major online retailers that many of you in North America have ordered from. Turns out the box was missing a bag of 16 2 cm flat head phillips screws which are needed to mount the binding and race plate. I am in the UK. I have been in communication with the online store and Stockli themselves, but at this point, it is up to me and one of my local ski shops, which does not carry Stockli, to source the screws ourselves. I checked out my local hardware store, but they do not carry the specific screws that are needed in this case.

Attachments

• 62897A4E-4FFC-4005-85B7-28B6DF60FA5A.jpeg
    62897A4E-4FFC-4005-85B7-28B6DF60FA5A.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

AlpedHuez

Skier
Thanks. Are they based in the U.S.? I probably have to source a solution in the U.K. or at least Europe.

And they don't appear to stock the screws I am looking for. At least not a direct match.

Perhaps I can find them here. Update: Yes. 20mm = 2cm I suppose.

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Thanks. Are they based in the U.S.? I probably have to source a solution in the U.K. or at least Europe.

And they don't appear to stock the screws I am looking for. At least not a direct match.

Perhaps I can find them here. Update: Yes. 20mm = 2cm I suppose.

If you are optimizing for $$ contact the store you purchased the skis from and get them to ship you the screws, if you are optimizing for time find a local shop that carries Stocklis and have them mount your skis. If you are feeling lucky have your local shop come up with a creative solution and hope that your bindings do not detach from your skis while skiing :philgoat:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
what plate/binding dealio did you end up with? is it into ski or raceplate? the BindingFreedom screws are machine thread, , they are the regular "into raceplate" thread type

your local stockli dealer should have them, mine even gave me spares last time and to shim

binding to raceplate or raceplate to ski?

AlpedHuez

Skier
what plate/binding dealio did you end up with? is it into ski or raceplate? the BindingFreedom screws are machine thread, , they are the regular "into raceplate" thread type

your local Stöckli dealer should have them, mine even gave me spares last time and to shim

binding to raceplate or raceplate to ski?
WRT plate, WRT binding. There are only two Stockli retailers in the UK - one is in Kent, the other in West Yorkshire, outside Leeds (where I have bought my AX, AR and SR95, though I've never actually been up to the shop). The best ski shop in Greater London area, Ski Bartlett, does not carry Stockli, but can special order them, apparently. So I bought from Canada, figuring it would be less expensive than EU. But did pay quite a lot for shipping plus VAT+import duty. FedEx is partially refunding me for shipping due to certain problems.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What should I do in this situation? I ordered and -- after some delays for trans-atlantic shipping and customs clearance -- finally received yesterday a WRT-ST from one of the major online retailers that many of you in North America have ordered from. Turns out the box was missing a bag of 16 2 cm flat head phillips screws which are needed to mount the binding and race plate. I am in the UK. I have been in communication with the online store and Stöckli themselves, but at this point, it is up to me and one of my local ski shops, which does not carry Stöckli, to source the screws ourselves. I checked out my local hardware store, but they do not carry the specific screws that are needed in this case.

Which binding and plate for the WRT-ST did you ordered?

Sponsor

Staff online