• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sizing question... I'm loving the stormrider 95 184 I purchased this year. After reading the posts, reviews, and talking to people at Cannon I want to add the laser AR to my quiver. I'm 5'10" 260 lb. I am leaning towards the 175. Thoughts?
I'm 6', 205lbs and I was talked into the 182 for the AR. In hindsight I really wish I would have stuck to my guns and gone with the 175. But at the end of the day 7cm isn't really that much and it is what it is.

Moral of my story is, don't let people talk you into gear for "where you want to be" and instead be honest with yourself and shop for the present.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Something to think about for this group

Attachments

• 89F2BBAA-F7E2-4B07-B58C-E3CD4AC14184.jpeg
    89F2BBAA-F7E2-4B07-B58C-E3CD4AC14184.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 26
  • F90E86B6-FE3C-4059-A18B-50BE0772886E.jpeg
    F90E86B6-FE3C-4059-A18B-50BE0772886E.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

bad influence

Booting up
Skier
So I've tried the search features on google and here with no luck....

I need some Binding recommendations for the Laser AR 175. I found one finally after a lot if searching and now need a binding. Thanks for the help

Last edited:

bad influence

Booting up
Skier

I need some Binding recommendations for the Laser AR 175. I found one finally after a lot if searching and now need a binding. Thanks for the help
disregard my previous post. Was able to secure a different pair from Rick at ski sharp. What a positive experience and a great price for the whole package(ski and binding) with a hand tune and shipping

silentslinky

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all, hope you can help me here! I’m male, 5’9, 155lbs. Intermediate to advanced skier, previously have skied 5-10 days a year for the last 15 years or so. Ski 95% on groomed piste. A few years ago I bought some 170cm Volkl M5 Mantra’s under the impression I would enjoy off piste more, turns out that wasn’t the case and I just love carving. As such, I’m looking at the Laser AR and AX, and am between 168cm and 175cm, but can’t make my mind up on which of the 4 configurations to go for. My family just moved to Denver so will be doing all my skiing moving forward around there. I’ll likely keep my Mantra’s.

Another thing to consider is that I likely won’t be skiing again until next season, so am considering waiting to see what the 2023 ski’s Stockli releases look like. Any help appreciated, thanks all!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another thing to consider is that I likely won’t be skiing again until next season, so am considering waiting to see what the 2023 ski’s Stöckli releases look like. Any help appreciated, thanks all!

There will be no more Laser AX or AR, so whatever length of these you want you need to move quickly.

Alternatively, you can wait to see what Montero AX and AR will be like.

If you ski 95% groomers and love carving, why not consider Laser SC? These will carve better than both AX and AR.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all, hope you can help me here! I’m male, 5’9, 155lbs. Intermediate to advanced skier, previously have skied 5-10 days a year for the last 15 years or so. Ski 95% on groomed piste. A few years ago I bought some 170cm Volkl M5 Mantra’s under the impression I would enjoy off piste more, turns out that wasn’t the case and I just love carving. As such, I’m looking at the Laser AR and AX, and am between 168cm and 175cm, but can’t make my mind up on which of the 4 configurations to go for. My family just moved to Denver so will be doing all my skiing moving forward around there. I’ll likely keep my Mantra’s.

Another thing to consider is that I likely won’t be skiing again until next season, so am considering waiting to see what the 2023 ski’s Stöckli releases look like. Any help appreciated, thanks all!

I’m 5-10 and 150lbs. If it were me, I’d get the Laser AX/ Montero AX in 168.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier

So as a starting point I have to say the M5 was not a fun ski off piste, so if that was your introduction to off piste you had a less than ideal first experience.

The main question really comes down to how accessible a ski you want. There are some amazing race inspired carving skis, but these are also much more demanding and less forgiving. If you are only skiing 5-10 days a year you may actually get more enjoyment on a more versatile and more forgiving ski. To that end I would definitely lean towards the AX in a 168 or 175. I actually swapped my Laser SX for a Laser AX, because the AX was a more relaxed and versatile ski and I actually enjoy skiing it much more.

silentslinky

Skier
Thank you all so much! I did not want to lend anyone bias, but I was leaning towards the AX in 168 before posting, you all have definitely confirmed that. As Tony mentioned, the Montero is moving in - I'll see if I can pull the trigger on some AX's before they're hard to find.

cnski

Booting up
Skier
Rick at Ski Sharp no longer does tuning btw. Well I guess he does if you buy new skis. Anyway need to tune my WRT 180's. Question: Do you de-tune the tips/tails on race skis?

John Y

Skier
Hello all. Just finished demoing both AR and AX in 175 at Mammoth yesterday. Soft snow in the morning, turning into icy slushy later in the day. Liked the AR a lot, easy to carve short turns. Liked the AX, a little too carvy. I skied today on my 2011 SR XXL 178 length, love my ski! Comparing my XXL to AR and AX, no comparison, my XXL are definitely stiffer skis with 180 cm waist and I believe wider turn radius. Does anyone know which new model Stockli compares to my beloved XXL? TIA

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier

All bindings are good. Some are more suitable for certain conditions than others. What is your boot sole length and your skiing speed? What setting does the DIN calculator put you at? There are four big binding makers, Marker, Head/Tyrolia, Salomon/Atomic, and Rossignol/Look. I'm a Head/Tyrolia guy, like Sal-o-tomic, and have no problem with Rossi/Look. I'm not a fan of the Marker single acting heel, but millions of others like them a lot. The bindings Stöckli sells are Salomons with Stöckli colors and catalog number.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Rick at Ski Sharp no longer does tuning btw. Well I guess he does if you buy new skis. Anyway need to tune my WRT 180's. Question: Do you de-tune the tips/tails on race skis?
I don't detune anything. That's my preference, and I don't race. You do what feels best for you. Tell the shop to do no detuning. You can use a stone (or scrape the tip on concrete or stone) to detune as you like.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you all so much! I did not want to lend anyone bias, but I was leaning towards the AX in 168 before posting, you all have definitely confirmed that. As Tony mentioned, the Montero is moving in - I'll see if I can pull the trigger on some AX's before they're hard to find.
They are already hard to find. Check Corbetts. Canadian seller, good service, good prices, no tax, free shipping.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't detune anything. That's my preference, and I don't race. You do what feels best for you. Tell the shop to do no detuning. You can use a stone (or scrape the tip on concrete or stone) to detune as you like.

Exactly the opposite here.
Once they sharpened my SR95s tip to tail by mistake and it was a nightmare. Hooky. Tails wouldn't release. The smooth effortless entry into the turn turned into a jerky, sudden, unpredictable affair. Nightmare.

I would never sharpen the WRTs tip to tail, that for me would be suicidal.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
They are already hard to find. Check Corbetts. Canadian seller, good service, good prices, no tax, free shipping.
Corbett’s is already sold out of the 168. In fact my st stores are completely sold out of the AX, luckily Powder7 still has a pair but the are not cheap

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So as a starting point I have to say the M5 was not a fun ski off piste, so if that was your introduction to off piste you had a less than ideal first experience.

My experience differs on the M5. Boat load of fun off piste. Large sweet spot in the bumps and tree. Does take some skill though.

Like @Henry said, it's up to you. If it bites you, hit it with something until it stop biting you.
I keep mine sharpened tip to tail.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw up to 10 pairs of Stöcklis on locals at Elk today…..men and women. Over the years, kinda rare to see Stöckli in NEPA/Elk. I wonder if Idyllwild Ski Shop picked them up?
Can confirm…Idyllwild carries Stockli…that explains the Elk Stockli influx.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Exactly the opposite here.
Once they sharpened my SR95s tip to tail by mistake and it was a nightmare. Hooky. Tails wouldn't release. The smooth effortless entry into the turn turned into a jerky, sudden, unpredictable affair. Nightmare.

I would never sharpen the WRTs tip to tail, that for me would be suicidal.

Make sure that your skis are hand-tuned to fix the base bevels at the tips and tails (the upturn portions and especially the "transition zone" into the upturn). No factory machine does this correctly. Until your skis are hand-tuned using a base bevel guide there's no telling what you're dealing with, but it's usually a complete lack of proper base bevel angle in these critical regions. Once this is fixed, a sharp ski tip to tail should ski perfectly without being hooky/grabby.

Sponsor

Staff online