• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 184376

Why is this part of the edges visible under the base is my question.

Totally guessing, but it might be where the stone "skipped" a little when the skis were tuned at some point. Where is the structure on these bases, anyway? All the Stockli I see coming from the factory have structure in them. Have you had them tuned recently? I'd ask my husband @utskier his thoughts, but he's working all day then...tuning skis all evening!

No, it's the anchor tabs portion of the edges, that is under the ptex. I think Tony knows that. His question is, "Why can I see them like this?"

Edit: One question is: Are you really seeing the tabs under there, or are you seeing some kind of "shadow" of them. What do I mean by a "shadow"? Well, for example, if you take cold skis into a warm room you can often see condensation form in that exact pattern. It doesn't mean you are seeing the tabs themselves; just a side-effect of their presence. I can imagine something like this happening with regard to wax or base oxidation.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, it's the anchor tabs portion of the edges, that is under the ptex. I think Tony knows that. His question is, "Why can I see them like this?"

Edit: One question is: Are you really seeing the tabs under there, or are you seeing some kind of "shadow" of them. What do I mean by a "shadow"? Well, for example, if you take cold skis into a warm room you can often see condensation form in that exact pattern. It doesn't mean you are seeing the tabs themselves; just a side-effect of their presence. I can imagine something like this happening with regard to wax or base oxidation.

Yes. correct, I know these are the anchors. No, I do not see them, I see these light shadows in the form of the anchors and that bothers the hell out of me as I fear some f*cker in the shop may have somehow screwed the bases and yes my hope is that it has something to do with uneven wax penetration into the bases.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am guessing too, but they look like scuff or wear marks made into the Ptex. That seems to be where your weight is centered on the ski (I am not commenting about your weight, BTW ;) ) and it has taken more abuse than other places. I suspect the surface scuffing is making an optical effect or illusion??. The anchors would be the strongest area and give the least when contacting hard snow or hard surfaces.

It could also be as you said some grinding leftover where more material was taken off. On some clear and yellow bases I can make out the edge anchors easier than others. Usually black bases hide them pretty well.

The more I look at the picture, it looks like you skied over something hard and the Ptex took some compression from the impact (very very small) but the hard steel edge anchors didn't give as much as the gaps and made some impression on the underside of the PTex that you can see from the outside. I would not worry about it unless you can start to to see the metal anchor poking through the Ptex.

Mp29

Putting on skis
Skier
Didn’t know where to post this so imma just go ahead and slap it here as the ski in question are Stockli.
Have a look at this and tell me if it is normal:

View attachment 184315

What causes these lighter spots? I mean I know what they are but why are they visible like that? Bases too thin already or what?

If that’s not a Stockli then you shouldn’t be posting about it in the Stockli thread. This isn’t a catch all.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If that’s not a Stockli then you shouldn’t be posting about it in the Stockli thread. This isn’t a catch all.

5AC04E1E-EE26-4FB1-9409-6484C6DF2E97.gif

C3E09CAF-3626-4EC8-A029-454DA667E1CD.jpeg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn Tony, I’m jelly

i can’t tell what would have caused those spots from a picture, you should probably ship them to me for a proper evaluation and testing.

Matter of fact man, I am selling these, not here on the site as the shipping cost to US is prohibitively high and I am trying to make 100% sure I won’t screw the new owner. If it turns out the bases are somehow f*cked (which I hope they aren’t) I’ll just unmount the plates and the bindings and bin the planks. These are my 180’s and they won’t see much use this season as I bought the WRT Pro in 180 so…

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Didn’t know where to post this so imma just go ahead and slap it here as the ski in question are Stockli.
Have a look at this and tell me if it is normal:

View attachment 184315

What causes these lighter spots? I mean I know what they are but why are they visible like that? Bases too thin already or what?
Other possibilities:
(Too hot a wax job can cause swelling in a tab-revealing pattern, that by itself isn't a problem, usually.)

What's a straight edge show you with those?

If those are a regular pattern of scuff areas, are they - and the edge - higher than the larger base ptex area closer to the center?
If so, that may be part of what's happening: slightly edge high, in those areas, causing greater friction towards the edges,
with an additional uniform irregularity from the tabs? This is very common with the big machine tunes -
just slightly edge high with great uniformity of shallow curve.
If this is so, very slightly, and there are no symptoms of edge high behavior in the ski (that is detrimental), then no problem, very likely.

If not slightly edge high (again, like many big machine base flatteners tend to cause just slightly), then maybe lots of on-edge carves are subjecting/sinking the edges/base nearby into the snow/crust friction more, and causing that greater wear from resulting friction (plus some mild swollen tab phenomena);

Or, last alternative, less likely, maybe carving on edge force has moved the tabs a bit, lifted up those scuff areas with the edges, relatively, just slightly as you carve, enough to scuff that wear pattern over time. (I doubt this, actually.)

When you put hot wax on those bases and scrape it, are you getting a similar wax retention pattern early on?
(With most of the inside ptex scraping off slightly later? And in the same "tab" pattern?)
(A good hot wax job would surely make those lighter areas soak up wax enough for a uniform color, until the wax wears off.)
In some ways, this pattern of dryness may practically act just as an early warning system that you are due for a good wax job. :)

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Other possibilities:
(Too hot a wax job can cause swelling in a tab-revealing pattern, that by itself isn't a problem, usually.)

What's a straight edge show you with those?

If those are a regular pattern of scuff areas, are they - and the edge - higher than the larger base ptex area closer to the center?
If so, that may be part of what's happening: slightly edge high, in those areas, causing greater friction towards the edges,
with an additional uniform irregularity from the tabs? This is very common with the big machine tunes -
just slightly edge high with great uniformity of shallow curve.
If it is very slightly, and there are no symptoms of edge high behavior in the ski (that is detrimental), then no problem, very likely.

If not slightly edge high (again, like many big machine base flatteners tend to cause just slightly), then maybe lots of on-edge carves are subjecting/sinking the edges/base nearby into the snow/crust friction more, and causing that greater wear from resulting friction (plus some mild swollen tab phenomena);

Or, last alternative, less likely, maybe carving on edge force has moved the tabs a bit, lifted up those scuff areas with the edges, relatively, just slightly as you carve, enough to scuff that wear pattern over time. (I doubt this, actually.)

When you put hot wax on those bases and scrape it, are you getting a similar wax retention pattern early on?
(A good hot wax job would surely make those lighter areas soak up wax enough for a uniform color, until the wax wears off.)

Thanks! I am checking all this first thing tomorrow. Last time I checked they were perfectly flat (of course they were) and this is the condition of the bases before wax (means they have been skied 4 days since last check) as I have them waxed after every 4th day so we will see.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Matter of fact man, I am selling these, not here on the site as the shipping cost to US is prohibitively high and I am trying to make 100% sure I won’t screw the new owner. If it turns out the bases are somehow f*cked (which I hope they aren’t) I’ll just unmount the plates and the bindings and bin the planks. These are my 180’s and they won’t see much use this season as I bought the WRT Pro in 180 so…
The Pros ski so niiiiiiice

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a question about Christmas gift ideas for a friend. Is it ok to post here? They have Stocklis.
In SRT bindings no less! The legend!
Except they give them consumer skis to hold up at the finish.

Mp29

Putting on skis
Skier
In all seriousness Tony that is a major bummer about those skis. Good thing you got those Pros baby! Mine are being mounted as we speak. Can’t freaking wait to try them. Cheerz!

Sponsor