• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
What better place to ask than in the never ending Stöckli thread :)?

I want to mount a Stöckli Nela 80 but the midsole line seems quite far towards the tail. Any advice where to mount? thx.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What better place to ask than in the never ending Stöckli thread :)?

I want to mount a Stöckli Nela 80 but the midsole line seems quite far towards the tail. Any advice where to mount? thx.
I think that's normal for this family of skis. I wouldn't assume that because the position looks aft, based on eyeballing it next to some other pair of skis, that it's wrong in some way. Your eyeballs, just glancing at the top view of a ski, are not smarter than ski designers at major manufacturers. There are lots of variables. For starters, the Nelas and Stormriders have very little in the way of taper or rise at the tail. So effectively there is more tail.

Now if you have actually tried the ski with multiple mount points and know you like the binding in a non-standard place (within reason), that's different. So ... I'd say that if you're really fussed about it you should either mount demo bindings or else fork over to demo the same ski and play with the binding position until you've figured it out. Seems kind of crazy to mount it off the line based on pure speculation.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm just disappointed there's been no snark e.g. "It's a Stockli, of course you have to move the bindings 1-3 cms forward!!!" :rolleyes:

Matter of fact he hinted to that but elegantly, just as an option and only to people who are real sure what they are doing. For everybody else-just slap the damn things on the line and que sera sera… :ogbiggrin:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Regarding nela mounting.... The point looks really far back to me in person, but pictures tell a variety of stories. These are mounted on the line.

20221202_155533.jpg

20220221_225024.jpg

20220221_224915.jpg

I don't ski them, so can't report. She's happy with them as they are, so that's all that matters.

smctigue

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don’t see Stocklis out in the wild very often but today I saw an older gentleman (like me) tearing it up on a pair of GS. I must have them.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One up him and buy WRT Pro… :ogbiggrin:
The trail rocks in UT are now well buried (except for the fate associated occasional that never go away). So if it stops snowing at some point, I'll be taking the WRTPs out for a ride next week. I sure will miss seeing them on my living room floor. Never had a better toy to walk by as an adult.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think that's normal for this family of skis. I wouldn't assume that because the position looks aft, based on eyeballing it next to some other pair of skis, that it's wrong in some way. Your eyeballs, just glancing at the top view of a ski, are not smarter than ski designers at major manufacturers. There are lots of variables. For starters, the Nelas and Stormriders have very little in the way of taper or rise at the tail. So effectively there is more tail.

Now if you have actually tried the ski with multiple mount points and know you like the binding in a non-standard place (within reason), that's different. So ... I'd say that if you're really fussed about it you should either mount demo bindings or else fork over to demo the same ski and play with the binding position until you've figured it out. Seems kind of crazy to mount it off the line based on pure speculation.
...sooooo, on the line?