• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cover your eyes now if you're squeamish. I have a sad story to tell.

I was waxing up my daily driver SR Motion 85s for my trip to the gathering in New Mexico. (I've come to like these skis a lot. They do the middle 80% of conditions so well.) I was having a LOT of trouble with that little ridge of wax that often forms where the tip turn up starts. I scraped and scraped and brushed and brushed. No joy. Weird.

Then I finally figured it out. That bump was not wax. It was a hinge point. My ski was bent. Right at the spot where the sidewall inlay ends. It's obvious once you know it's there. Don't know how it happened. So bummed. I do think there is a good chance it won't have a noticable impact on the ski's behavior. Here's hoping.
That sucks. I hope you’re right that it doesn’t impact the behavior

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
How are the Montero AR's working out?

Finally got on the Montero ARs in 185. I was at Hunter Mountain in upstate NY, so icy and cold conditions. I’ll hold off on a full review until I get some more laps on these, but initial impressions are super super positive! It’s such a damp ski, glued to the snow. Soooo smooth. What I think I like most is I can really push it, or just relax, and it’s rewarding either way. Will sit very very nicely in between my SR105 and WRTs.

Also, todays conditions reminded me why I (we) love the WRTs - had a blast on the icy hard pack! I’ve been focusing a ton in my technique this season and I’m finding the sweet spot for the WRT - my reward is a ton of stability and confidence in multiple turn shapes and conditions.

njred

Putting on skis
Skier
I am only recent Stockli convert.. Having now done ~25 days this season on the Montero AX 178, (including 6 days in Courchevel/Meribel/Val Thorens, 4 days in Jackson Hole, 3 of them powder days, 2 days at Whistler/Blackcomb) I have to say they are every bit as good as the hype, and even better. In fact, I am now riding the AX on most days at home (in Tahoe) instead of the 88 and 102 Stormriders that I got in the last couple of years. For the side-country powder runs, I still prefer the SR 102 of course, but for majority of in-resort riding conditions whether on trail or off trail, the AX takes the cake unless there is more than a foot of dump. This ski is making groomers fun again for me!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Does any year model of the SR95 ski similar to an AX78? I really like how my AX78 can happily ski at any speed. It can do slow round turns just as easily as fast GS turns. Would like something similar in feel, but wider.
So I have owned the current a previous model SR95 plus I also have a Laser AX. These are different skis, so would not say they ski similar, but would say both are very stable and accessible skis for Stocklis :) I like that both are highly versatile and can handle a variety of different conditions very well. That said aside from width, these skis have very different dimensions and flex profiles. Love them both and think that if you love the AX you will likely love the SR95 too. Best thing you can do is demo a pair and make a firsthand decision.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll likely be selling my 2022 Nela 88s soon...I typically don't hold onto my equipment for more than one or two seasons and am also honestly wishing they were longer. I've been on a 167 Rossi as of late and am loving the extra length.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Some carbon-insert SR95s in Aspen, $350. (not sure if or how that link works, but it’s Facebook Marketplace.)

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally got a day on my new 180 WRT Pros on some nice manicured groomers at Killington. I was wondering if they would be too much ski for me but that definitely wasn’t the case and boy they put a smile on my face. Seemed to be perfectly happy making short and long turns. Boy did they move but I could dial them back when needed. Between these and my SR88s I’m rethinking the need ]for my AXs.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the question which SR95 are the most similar to the AX-IMHO these:

3ADC54AD-E1A4-49D5-ABD8-C55540A4E727.jpeg

Heavier than the next gen and with these Pivots even more tank-like. Same planted feeling but wider and a bit slower edge to edge (duh). Perfect snow today, my only regret was I was not on the WRTs :ogbiggrin:

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
So now that I've had a handful of days on nice & firm but edge-able groomers I can confidently say that I agree with Rick @Skisharp that the Laser GS is probably one of, if not the best ski that Stockli makes. I spent a day with my WRT ST, Laser SX, and Laser GS and while I literally have nothing negative to say about the WRT or SX, I will say that the experience on the GS is... in a word, sublime.

Rock steady, carves like a dream, plenty of energy to vault you into the next turn, and even releases the tail without too much work. I have the 175 and while I was initially going to sell it because of the SX, that is no longer my plan. I'll be holding onto these till they die.

*edited because I wanted to make sure you guys got the memo on the word sublime. Cause it was sublime.

**Did I mention how sublime it was?

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So now that I've had a handful of days on nice & firm but edge-able groomers I can confidently say that I agree with Rick @Skisharp that the Laser GS is probably one of, if not the best ski that Stockli makes. I spent a day with my WRT ST, Laser SX, and Laser GS and while I literally have nothing negative to say about the WRT or SX, I will say that the experience on the GS is... in a word, sublime.

Rock steady, carves like a dream, plenty of energy to vault you into the next turn, and even releases the tail without too much work. I have the 175 and while I was initially going to sell it because of the SX, that is no longer my plan. I'll be holding onto these till they die.

*edited because I wanted to make sure you guys got the memo on the word sublime. Cause it was sublime.

**Did I mention how sublime it was?

I strongly agree and approve of this message!
More people should buy Laser GS!

As this will leave more WRTs for the rest of us.... :roflmao:

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I strongly agree and approve of this message!
More people should buy Laser GS!

As this will leave more WRTs for the rest of us.... :roflmao:
IMO, there's room for both. That was the initial intention of my testing, to compare the GS against the WRT and see if they were too similar to warrant keeping both. I think the answer to that question is, if you're not a person of nuance, then yes they are too similar. They both provide a similar experience in a fairly specific type of conditions on the groomers.

...But if you appreciate subtle differences and are skilled enough to really get a feel for a skis character, you'll feel a noticeably different ride. The WRT was more demanding to me, wanted to turn harder and faster. The GS was cool with whatever I wanted to do, but it would not reach the same performance ceiling of precise tight hard carved turn that the WRT would. If that makes sense. I'll likely be moving on from the WRT-ST as I plan to replace it with the Pro's, which I think will pair very nicely with my GS's.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO, there's room for both. That was the initial intention of my testing, to compare the GS against the WRT and see if they were too similar to warrant keeping both. I think the answer to that question is, if you're not a person of nuance, then yes they are too similar. They both provide a similar experience in a fairly specific type of conditions on the groomers.

...But if you appreciate subtle differences and are skilled enough to really get a feel for a skis character, you'll feel a noticeably different ride. The WRT was more demanding to me, wanted to turn harder and faster. The GS was cool with whatever I wanted to do, but it would not reach the same performance ceiling of precise tight hard carved turn that the WRT would. If that makes sense. I'll likely be moving on from the WRT-ST as I plan to replace it with the Pro's, which I think will pair very nicely with my GS's.

Remind me, what length WRTs are you on now? I need to borrow my 180 GS from that friend I gave them to to remind myself why I was not wowed by them. It was long ago and I won't be surprised one bit if I now like them better.
I am hard fighting the urge to buy a new pair of GS as it will be way too much overlap with the 180 WRTs and the 179/19 Hero Masters but who knows, if you keep talking how sublime they are I might give in.:roflmao: :roflmao:

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Remind me, what length WRTs are you on now? I need to borrow my 180 GS from that friend I gave them to to remind myself why I was not wowed by them. It was long ago and I won't be surprised one bit if I now like them better.
I am hard fighting the urge to buy a new pair of GS as it will be way too much overlap with the 180 WRTs and the 179/19 Hero Masters but who knows, if you keep talking how sublime they are I might give in.:roflmao: :roflmao:
Hahaha, I don't know if you'll get the same wow factor I felt Tony. I perceive you as a bit more of a speed freak than I am. I think the GS feels softer than the WRT, easier to bend but still retains... lets say 80% of the energy the WRT does. That's what makes it so smooth, doesn't necessarily POP you into the next turn, a more gradual trampoline effect. I almost find them relaxing on a moderate pitch, carving nice GS turns. Get me on a steep pitch though and its back to OMGWTFIMGONNADIEAHHHHHHHHHHH

But to answer your question, my WRT's are 172 and my GS's are 175.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid