• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The AX is usually silky on groomer. Much better feel than the 2023 Kendo. However on the dense wet pack snow of DV, the Kendo transmitted less harshness. :huh:
Driving through cruddy snow bumps, the AX felt clunky while the Kendo handled with aplomb.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not everyone will agree with this. I’ve wanted to get past my AXs for the sake of simplicity and rely wholly on my WRT Pros. What I’ve found is nothing replaces the AX for softish snow conditions from packed to say 4 inches of light to medium snow. I love the Pros but use them on different, firmer days than the AX. Not that there have been many of those in much of the Rockies this year.

Also, some of us don’t really love the ARs.

Let’s be careful with the “nothing” thingy as for the conditions you describe I’d rather be on SR95 or CT 1.0 than AX :ogbiggrin:
Guess that’s just because I already gave away my AXs and am trying to persuade myself I am not missing them.:ogbiggrin:
Sorta sour grapes.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let’s be careful with the “nothing” thingy as for the conditions you describe I’d rather be on SR95 or CT 1.0 than AX :ogbiggrin:
Guess that’s just because I already gave away my AXs and am trying to persuade myself I am not missing them.:ogbiggrin:
Sorta sour grapes.
Bingo. I’ve been on a bunch and so far nothing else replaces them for the conditions I describe. If it makes you happier I’ll say I’ve been on a bunch but not everything. As far as the SR 95s…nope. The CTs...nope. My opinion of course but then I haven’t sold mine. :ogbiggrin:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bingo. I’ve been on a bunch and so far nothing else replaces them for the conditions I describe. If it makes you happier I’ll say I’ve been on a bunch but not everything. As far as the SR 95s…nope. The CTs...nope. My opinion of course but then I haven’t sold mine. :ogbiggrin:

Yeah, there is something magical about the Laser AX. A truly special ski.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably just me. Ran both my 2020 AX and the 2023 Kendo at DV on back to back day before the storm last week. The snow was rather screechy and cruddy. The Kendo felt much better on both groomers and bumps.
They do well IMO in those conditions but I agree there are funner skis. Though on a spring day like today when I know I’ll hit 3-4” and the screech, I reach for the AX although I haven’t been on Kendos. Today on the varied mix of conditions on and off-piste the AX were money on all of it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They do well IMO in those conditions but I agree there are funner skis. Though on a spring day like today when I know I’ll hit 3-4” and the screech, I reach for the AX although I haven’t been on Kendos. Today on the varied mix of conditions on and off-piste the AX were money on all of it.

I was really surprised too. Started the week on the AX. Wasn't too happy with them under Sultan & Mayflower. Kendo next day was a big improvement. Especially the screehy groomer at the bottom half of Sultan.

James

Out There
Instructor
Guess that’s just because I already gave away my AXs and am trying to persuade myself I am not missing them.
Yeah but now you can land switch with your twin tips.
Ya know if you got a snowboard, you would never get one foot on the opposite side of a tree as the other foot.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah but now you can land switch with your twin tips.
Ya know if you got a snowboard, you would never get one foot on the opposite side of a tree as the other foot.

They went for a good cause. There are times in life when not everything is about you.

And yeah I now have 3 pairs of twin tips-thats lotsa switch landing.

James

Out There
Instructor
When is Stockli going to come out with their beefy freeride ski again? Like the Dominique Perret or Scot Schmidt style ones they had.
anders wants to know

Suntrip

Booting up
Skier
Just got a good round on both Stormrider 95 175 and the newly bought Laser AR 182. Conditions where quite loose with 10-15 cm heavy chop (spring condition). I actually preferred the new Laser AR, wich kind of surprised me.

This ski really gave me the ultra confidence vibe, so that I could quite easily create great edge angels even in loose conditions. Still early days, but I think the AR is a keeper, even though I have the AX in 175. I was bit skeptical to the lenght, but that was no issue at all. I could easily bend and control the ski :thumb:

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A question to those familiar with FIS regulations (yeah I know I can check it myself but why bother) about these:

I know what are 193 and 188 (men’s and women’s) but what about the other two: 184 and 176-what FIS categories are these? I am kinda interested in the 184/24 but what bothers me is the so called Size optimized construction. If these are junior skis I don’t believe they will have enough oomph for what I need them for and in that case I’d rather go 188 although on our slopes I need 30m radius ski a bit less than I need a hole in my head.
Any ideas?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now I am thinking skiing my FIS SL with the nose pickers facing the other way. Maybe I can feel some of his skiing magic.
Then there is always the training edge vs racing edge thing.

He is the local Stockli dealer. He is literally the reason Taos is a Stockli hill.
My best lessons have been with Alain. I have some great GoPro footage. Alain also tunes all my skis. He’s a fantastic human and an incredible skier.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A question to those familiar with FIS regulations (yeah I know I can check it myself but why bother) about these:

I know what are 193 and 188 (men’s and women’s) but what about the other two: 184 and 176-what FIS categories are these? I am kinda interested in the 184/24 but what bothers me is the so called Size optimized construction. If these are junior skis I don’t believe they will have enough oomph for what I need them for and in that case I’d rather go 188 although on our slopes I need 30m radius ski a bit less than I need a hole in my head.
Any ideas?
masters and junior, I wouldnt worry to much, juniors are about 100x better than we will ever be again. they load the skis. the 184 should be plenty ski for you

I have the equivalent from atomic, I cannot overpower it, not a chance.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
masters and junior, I wouldnt worry to much, juniors are about 100x better than we will ever be again. they load the skis. the 184 should be plenty ski for you

I have the equivalent from atomic, I cannot overpower it, not a chance.

Yes, I was thinking about those Redsters that are total unobtanium, on paper they are very similar, just wanted to make sure they wont lack any firepower.

Hmmmm, Laser FIS GS 184/24 could be just the thing I need, thanks.

P.S. Junior racers are without a shadow of a doubt 100x better but then again I weigh like 1.5 juniors and not to brag too much about it but I regularly beat them to the bottom when there are no gates involved-a boulder always beats a ping pong ball in a straight line downhill… :roflmao: :roflmao:

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When is Stockli going to come out with their beefy freeride ski again? Like the Dominique Perret or Scot Schmidt style ones they had.
anders wants to know
I like the 80+- something ski with full camber thats forgiving, for most of our snow conditons this is usually the best bet, but stockli just made them to soft in the front, and they feel mushy when you load them. the deacon 84 might be to forgiving with the rocker, and I'd like more camber there, but it doesnt fold when you load it, it has a backbone and pushes back and feels predictable/solid at 45 when you load it up.

@Tony Storaro

redsters are available in 5 physical stores <30 minutes from my house :p and sevral on used market and fb marketplace
weighing 1.5 of a junior, but you load up the ski a fraction... ;) going straight down is just mass, going through a GS course they will be you even if your heavier, they carry speed/momentum

be warned 184/24 will feel kinda dead for freeskiiing casually, they want angle and weight

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
through a GS course they will be you even if your heavier, they carry speed/momentum

be warned 184/24 will feel kinda dead for freeskiiing casually, they want angle and weight

No doubt about that first part. Some of these kids are freakishly good. I regularly spend time watching them do gates training.

I don't believe I will have troubles with 184/24 ski but the days I'd be able to use them properly are not that many, so they are not a priority ATM. I need much more the Laser FIS SL-these make way more sense in the conditions I ski most.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well today's impulse buy was new SR88 with Strive 13 Demo, but in the short 166 length.

I think I posted a couple weeks ago in a "Stormrider 88" thread that I would never consider that ski in the 166 length. My previous mid-80s skis have always been 173-177 , but I've always wondered what the next size down would be like. I am not a charger, preferring not mach-schnell speeds and I prefer to navigate around stuff, vs over/through it. I had been keeping an eye out for a newer MX83 168 or Fischer 86GT 168 for that experiment, but then these SR88 surfaced for next season's fun. :thumb: