• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm trying to figure this out on mine. I end up reaching a speed that is "too fast" for my comfort level and I am then unwilling(scared?) to really stomp into them to bend them enough to come across the fall line. This is always when I end up running away and going lightspeed.

Dont rush the transitions, shape the turns nicely and be patient. On steeps you can never drive them in carved turns as on turn numero cinco you are moving way too fast and are headed straight for the trees. WRTs are powerful skis and you need to be careful with that gas pedal.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Let them turn you/turn them uphill - preferably before they start running away from you.
At least thats what I've been working on in the steeps. Start slow, stay slow. Not so easy sometimes.
Yes, that's what I've been working on as well but I'm getting the impression there's a balance aspect I'm missing as the turn goes from tips pointed down the hill to tips pointing across the hill. That's where I think the experience and the lessons come into play, trying to find a feeling/technique that you haven't experienced before.
Dont rush the transitions, shape the turns nicely and be patient. On steeps you can never drive them in carved turns as on turn numero cinco you are moving way too fast and are headed straight for the trees. WRTs are powerful skis and you need to be careful with that gas pedal.
IDK man, every now and then I see a guy on a pair of Stockli's that goes down a super steep and I watch them bend the ever-living jesus out of those skis, controlling their descent the whole way down. As if they could do it down a mile of steep without building any more excess speed. It's a thing of beauty to watch, especially when you have an appreciation for how difficult that is. Watched a guy do it at my local hill just recently and then noticed as he sped by me (while I stood there in awe having just watched him descend) I noticed he was on a pair of Montero AR's. Holy hell did they make that slope look like it was NOTHING. I came down the same run right after witnessing that and I can't believe the guy held those carves over that steepness and the natural bumps that had formed over the day.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So for those of you on the 2023 SR 95, can you give me some feedback on the 175 and 184 lengths? I'm trying to decide between these 2 lengths. I'm 5'8" and 160 pounds (down 70 pounds from last year). I live in Utah and am part of the Park City Masters program so I am comfortable on FIS GS & SL skis. Currently have the Laser AX in both 175 & 182 length (like them both for different reasons but would take the 175 if I could only own 1), WRT ST in 172 length with WRT 16 bindings, and many many other non-Stockli skis. The skis I currently have in the mid 90-100 width are the Kastle MX99s and I have these in the 176 and 184 length and the Enforcer 100 in a 186. Love my Kastle MX99s but not a huge fan of the Enforcers. With the MX99s, I do prefer the 176 length now that I have lost so much weight. My MX99s come alive the faster I push them. I do like to charge hard most of the time but I hear the SR95 is still very capable at speed but also very good when wanting to just throttle back some and take it easy. These will not replace my MX99s but I am intrigued with the hype they get and want to give them a try. So based off all this and my background, do you think I would enjoy the 175 or 184 length?

Difficult one that one. You sound competent enough to not have problems with either of the two lengths so the question is what would you want from them. I’d always go 184 as these are really easy to ski but that’s just my opinion.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IDK man, every now and then I see a guy on a pair of Stockli's that goes down a super steep and I watch them bend the ever-living jesus out of those skis, controlling their descent the whole way down. As if they could do it down a mile of steep without building any more excess speed. It's a thing of beauty to watch, especially when you have an appreciation for how difficult that is. Watched a guy do it at my local hill just recently and then noticed as he sped by me (while I stood there in awe having just watched him descend) I noticed he was on a pair of Montero AR's. Holy hell did they make that slope look like it was NOTHING. I came down the same run right after witnessing that and I can't believe the guy held those carves over that steepness and the natural bumps that had formed over the day.

You only need time and practice. You will get there. Use other people's competence as inspiration rather that frustration with your own skiing. And ski,ski,ski,ski

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How does one not "really love" the ARs. The more I ski my ARs the more I love them. I used to only ski them on hard pack groomer days, but lately I've found myself off piste more and more with them. Different strokes, different folks I guess.
I now want something Ar(ish) but wider for a similar feel that is more off piste oriented....

You answered your own question. We’re all different shapes, weights and have differently levels of ability. Then you have typical conditions someone skis in (east vs west, groomers vs chop, etc. and how that individuals technique varies by condition. I find it easy to believe that a particular ski performs well for one person but not another and therefore isn’t as well loved. We haven’t even got into how different lengths affect performance.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes - this.

I find, with the WRTP's, skiing them fast is THEIR natural pace. The faster you go the easier and smoother they are to ski.

But try to get them to go slow - thats WAY more difficult. They resist. It takes a lot of concentration and perfect technique.
And I find it is becoming more fun and way more of a challenge to ski steeps that way.

And conversely, on blues, I let'em rip Skip.

And the AR's - love them but only use them if the snow starts to pile up.
You answered your own question. We’re all different shapes, weights and have differently levels of ability. Then you have typical conditions someone skis in (east vs west, groomers vs chop, etc. and how that individuals technique varies by condition. I find it easy to believe that a particular ski performs well for one person but not another and therefore isn’t as well loved. We haven’t even got into how different lengths affect performance.
Spot on! My comment as seen was a bit rhetorical perhaps…. Might be trying the newer Ar & Ax (montero) this weekend (intrigued); previous demos I’ve favored the AR by a hair hence my love of ownership.
Plus, the tune on the exact same ski, as we know, plays a pretty factor. My friend just got a used pair of SR88’s and I think they have a bad tune, or lack thereof as he’s underwhelmed, but who knows.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
So for those of you on the 2023 SR 95, can you give me some feedback on the 175 and 184 lengths? I'm trying to decide between these 2 lengths. I'm 5'8" and 160 pounds (down 70 pounds from last year). I live in Utah and am part of the Park City Masters program so I am comfortable on FIS GS & SL skis. Currently have the Laser AX in both 175 & 182 length (like them both for different reasons but would take the 175 if I could only own 1), WRT ST in 172 length with WRT 16 bindings, and many many other non-Stockli skis. The skis I currently have in the mid 90-100 width are the Kastle MX99s and I have these in the 176 and 184 length and the Enforcer 100 in a 186. Love my Kastle MX99s but not a huge fan of the Enforcers. With the MX99s, I do prefer the 176 length now that I have lost so much weight. My MX99s come alive the faster I push them. I do like to charge hard most of the time but I hear the SR95 is still very capable at speed but also very good when wanting to just throttle back some and take it easy. These will not replace my MX99s but I am intrigued with the hype they get and want to give them a try. So based off all this and my background, do you think I would enjoy the 175 or 184 length?
Ideally you demo both? Next years sr95 model will offer 176 or 182; maybe the 182 next year is the ticket…

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

True. There are very few examples of ski that is universally loved. AX for example-everybody loves them. Well except for @anders_nor that is... :roflmao:

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
haven't received a pair of skis with correct base angle as what mfg claim, ever I think

For some reason I want to bend skis into shorter radius turns than they want, not saying I do it well, but it just feels so good when you manage to hang onto the trail of your buddy in 1-3 meter shorter radius skis putting in work

so skiing the 16.4 at say 20-22 just feels wrong

Some people....well maybe a lot of us...we just like to complicate things.
Me for example, on 162, 13 radius Pros crossing turns with someone speeding along on Deacon Masters - if it feels so right, how can it be wrong,,,,
Must be the same reason a cat pushes its toy into, or under, or behind stuff to make playtime more interesting.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was googling for Stockli deals and a link to this Ebay seller came up. Good prices, free shipping and 100% rating w/ 165,000 transactions. I imagine you don't get a warranty but the prices are tempting.

Laser SL
Stormrider 88
Montero AR
WRT Pro
WRT

More skis in their storefront.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was googling for Stockli deals and a link to this Ebay seller came up. Good prices, free shipping and 100% rating w/ 165,000 transactions. I imagine you don't get a warranty but the prices are tempting.

Laser SL
Stormrider 88
Montero AR
WRT Pro
WRT

Ermmm…the SL and the WRT Pro (I didnt check the rest) come flat. When you add the price for the bindings, shipping and customs costs I think I will pass…

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ermmm…the SL and the WRT Pro (I didnt check the rest) come flat. When you add the price for the bindings, shipping and customs costs I think I will pass…
$810 for a pair of SR88's and I have a NIB pair of Attack 14s in the right size. Tempting for me, anyway.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer

Laser SL
Stormrider 88
Montero AR
WRT Pro
WRT

These skis are from a company that buys "lost in freight" items. This is not a licensed Stockli Dealer.
TBH, their business model is pretty shady, they and the shipping companies can easily figure out who the sender is, but there are a lot of under the table deals made to incentivize other behavior and put items on the grey market.

Sometimes these products fall under the "damaged in freight" category if there is a mishap with a forklift and an honest shipping mistake in handling.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These skis are from a company that buys "lost in freight" items. This is not a licensed Stockli Dealer.
TBH, their business model is pretty shady, they and the shipping companies can easily figure out who the sender is, but there are a lot of under the table deals made to incentivize other behavior and put items on the grey market.

Sometimes these products fall under the "damaged in freight" category if there is a mishap with a forklift and an honest shipping mistake in handling.
Thanks for posting @LindseyB I couldn't put a finger on it but I started to suspect something was off with them so I appreciate you identifying what that is.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Today at Palisades I was able to demo the SR 102; Montero AX, and Montero AR all pretty much back to back by lunch time. Great experience. I own the older AR (I’ve often commented on my love for them); and I haven’t ever been on any of these newer models.

The new AR holds the same awesome attributes to the older one and was the winner of the morning; in my honest opinion. The AX might have been better at opening, hitting groomers straight away; but the beauty of the AR is I could charge a groomer then pop off piste and rip through the day old 3-4 inches of fresh snow, then back on a chewed up groomer, and it wanted to charge unfazed. Same situation with AX, and it was bouncing around more. Another big recommendation for the AR; and the new sizing actually fits me a bit better (though I can not justify upgrading yet as mine are perfect)

SR 102, separate category obviously, super fun, solid ski, and arc’ed on groomers really well for its category.

I was hoping the Rep was going to gage next years SR 95; but he indicated it won’t be on a demo set up likely until the Fall.

Last edited:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2023-03-25 18.28.14.jpg

2023-03-25 18.27.54.jpg

soo todays lol, buddy showed up, WRT pro, me on WRT pro, me blue pants red jacket from norrøna.. he 100% same, 130 CS boots, same helmet etc...
2023-03-26 13.57.40.jpg
we were twins, except he had 172 vs my 180.. and he is 172 vs my 190 :p

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ did you ever get on that K2 Ti2 ?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^ did you ever get on that K2 Ti2 ?
noop, been putting in up to 21 hour workdays :|

the tune on them is so awful 0 point in skiiing them. they would have been perfect today though, minus the crowd.

hopefully doing 3 days of bigger mountains here this week, might give them a try then, was 4? 5 ? days the week before and only got to ski 25k vert :§ had to work from lodge the rest of the time..

Sponsor

Staff online