• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally got my Laser AR 175cm with piston plate and XComp binding, and last tuned by SkiMD with a nice thumb print structure, and 0.5 / 3 bevels. This is a heavy setup with a single ski weighing in at 3540g and the other at 3530g. Edges are a bit dull and no time take my diamond stones to them before going out to the hill tomorrow. But I got them waxed and it will be spring conditions so edge sharpness not super necessary. For a “used” ski they are in excellent condition and I love the colour combo :thumb:

8E9D5CDE-ED6B-4363-8ACD-07B98200D8C4.jpeg

Attachments

• 0B285255-8584-4813-BBFD-8B1CFB7160E2.jpeg
    0B285255-8584-4813-BBFD-8B1CFB7160E2.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 25

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those the ones you beat me to on these forums in the garage sale section? If so... you bastard! They are gorgeous.

FYI, with that tune those things are going to hold on hardpack like a scalpel. Just be aware. I have my older 182 length ones tuned to a 1/3 and I can't believe the edge hold.

Last edited:

CascadeLuke

Booting up
Skier
Anyone ever bump the ARs forward? My Montero's arrive tomorrow and I never demo'd... I'm perpetually moving +1 on all directional boards from Kastle and Stockli (SR95, SR105, numerous FX HPs & BMX HPs, plus current FX106TIs). This will be my narrow ski in a pretty snow sure mountain range. appreciate it

bpratt

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone ever bump the ARs forward? My Montero's arrive tomorrow and I never demo'd... I'm perpetually moving +1 on all directional boards from Kastle and Stockli (SR95, SR105, numerous FX HPs & BMX HPs, plus current FX106TIs). This will be my narrow ski in a pretty snow sure mountain range. appreciate it
My brand new Montero AR 175's are at the shop getting bindings mounted right now. I demo'd them for 2 1/2 days at Sun Valley last month and for my preferred skiing (bombing Limelight top to bottom) the factory setup was perfect. For reference, I'm an advanced but not expert skier, 5'10", 185 lbs.

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier

Mine are forward with the Strive bindings it's easy to do and I like it that way. I also tuned the side edges to 3 degrees.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did I even mention these are fabulous ski:

IMG_0416.jpg

Because they are! :ogbiggrin:

Breaking personal bests is what I have been up to these days. Just in case you were wondering.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree with Wade's review of Montero AX vs. Laser AX, "This new one is just as engaging on piste for me, but more versatile in mixed conditions and terrain."

For me the Strive heel was too low, not enough delta angle. I had to work continuously to get balanced forward. A 3mm shim (1/8" plexiglass) under the heel binding set me up just right. Ebay or a local plastics shop is a source for plexiglass; I needed a 6" x 12" piece and cut and drilled it (gently) with woodworking tools. I got 3mm longer screws from tognar.com.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Probably covered somewhere in these 251 pages, but what bindings for the SR 88 or 95? I like the look of the Pivot 15 but looks aren't everything. Jester? Attack? Strive?

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Each notch on the Strive binding length adjustment is 4 mm, so try two or three notches to get what you like. On mine the heel binding size markings reads one size too long...I need the next shorter position to get the correct forward pressure as shown on the indicator. I don't know if that is operator error by the shop guy or jig error; my boot soles are actually 1 mm longer than the marked size. So, check the forward pressure indicator at the back of the heel binding to see if your size markings are correct wherever you position your bindings.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Are your new AR’s on the longer side for you? That’s one of the main reasons I can think of for mounting them more progressively; if they might feel like too much ski. I “think” the consequence of moving the mount forward on a ski like these is a slight loss of powder and rebound…I’d be a touch hesitant. Your height/weight vs ski size might help as well as the other skis you do this with?
However, there are a few Stockli reps on here that might provide detailed assessment.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are your new AR’s on the longer side for you? That’s one of the main reasons I can think of for mounting them more progressively; if they might feel like too much ski. I “think” the consequence of moving the mount forward on a ski like these is a slight loss of powder and rebound…I’d be a touch hesitant. Your height/weight vs ski size might help as well as the other skis you do this with?
However, there are a few Stockli reps on here that might provide detailed assessment.
The Montero AR mount point is pretty dang far back. I think personally I'm going to go +1 as well as just from looking at it with a boot centered on the line... that's not a lot of tail behind you.

CascadeLuke

Booting up
Skier

Thanks for the input, group. Bought skis flat and will mount pivots. Size 180. I'm an aggressive skier at 6' 190 lbs. When I strap into these ARs I'm going to be ready to party - no lazy days expected on these. Will be attentive and on the attack. Skis I've gone progressive mount on (+1 or more) and been happy:
SR95s 2019 185cm & 2023 184cm
SR105 188cm (2020)
SR88 186cm (2014)
FX95 HPs 189cm & 181cm
BMX 105 HP 189cm & 181cm
BMX 108 HP 188cm
MX89 180cm
FX106HP 184cm
ZX108 184cm
FX106TI 184cm
plus some others that are slipping my mind

Skis arrived. WOW are these beautiful. I don't get the ugly comment at all..

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably covered somewhere in these 251 pages, but what bindings for the SR 88 or 95? I like the look of the Pivot 15 but looks aren't everything. Jester? Attack? Strive?

I don’t like the rotating heel at all but the SR95 ski great with Pivots. I”d consider +1

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^ Fantastic ski. I got them on closeout when the 102s were announced a couple of years ago and only this year really got enough mileage on them to truly appreciate them. It's been such a great snow year, 20 out of my 21 days (so far ;) ) this season have been on them.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^ Fantastic ski. I got them on closeout when the 102s were announced a couple of years ago and only this year really got enough mileage on them to truly appreciate them. It's been such a great snow year, 20 out of my 21 days (so far ;) ) this season have been on them.
Wow! I agree whole heartedly. I have been skiing mine of that vintage a lot this year--fantastic ski. I was on it last weekend when a fortitous rope drop meant we were skiing 15-25 inches of uncut blower and it performed like a champ. Would have loved to A/B that run with either of my wider powder skis but that is impossible anymore due to powder panic.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What size are you on?

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
I am 6’3 200 and have my 182 AR’s 1 cm forward with Jester Pro’s and really like them. Thought they would be too soft, I call them, “ my old man’s skis”, but they ski great. I have all my carving and race skis set between 1/2 and 1 cm forward. Personal preference but works great for me, coaching and instructing. I did not think it would make that much difference but it does for me. I worried I might lose the tail in some situations but that has not happened, even on 35m GS Fischer’s.

Sponsor

Staff online