• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frenchman

Troublemaker
Skier
On paper they might look similar but believe me, on snow they aren't.
That's the point I was making when I wrote they are totally different beasts.

You ski a 172. I like short turns so I think that's my choice too, though the 180 really has the same turn radius on power as my AX (which is 15.9 m at 175). Decisions... How tall/heavy are you if you don't mind sharing, and did you try both? Looks like both would work for me anyways...

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really, really dislike the AR. I could tolerate it in an in-between length that doesn't exist, and even then I don't know that I would ever love it. In that range, I am a green/yellow AX person, never liked the AR. I actually haven't liked a ski in the 80-89 range (though I haven't gone out of my way to try a lot of them, but when I have... meh). I do however have 3 pairs of 90s though (94, 97, 98), but with very different uses, construction, bindings, and mounting points (park, backcountry, and all mountain). For me, 90-99 is the most versatile width where I ski (for others it's 100-105). No SR 95 though. And I do have some CXes at 69 mm.
That's really fascinating as the AR is one of my favorite skis, hands down. I'd be curious to hear what it was you didn't like about it.

Reactions: JCF

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's the point I was making when I wrote they are totally different beasts.

You ski a 172. I like short turns so I think that's my choice too, though the 180 really has the same turn radius on power as my AX (which is 15.9 m at 175). Decisions... How tall/heavy are you if you don't mind sharing, and did you try both? Looks like both would work for me anyways...

Ahh… I ski all of them WRTs actually-both standard and Pro in both 172 and 180. I am 183 and the weight varies quite a lot depending on how good the cycling in the summer was-from 80 something to 90 something kilos.
If I could only have one ski of them all, that’d be the Pro in 172. But I ski crowded slopes, so…

Bear in mind that for this type of ski-WRTs Rossi Hero Masters etc, the height/weight of the skier matters not as even the shortest are powerful enough for even the biggest of us, it is all down to turn radius preferences.

Last edited:

Skitard

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have the Stockli 160 SL. What is the difference between it and a FIS SL? Would I be splitting hairs, wasting my dough, buying a FIS SL Stockli or Rossi?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Stockli 160 SL. What is the difference between it and a FIS SL? Would I be splitting hairs, wasting my dough, buying a FIS SL Stockli or Rossi?

Buying FIS SL Stockli and FIS SL Rossi is vastly different experience tho. One is half the price of the other. I mean…literally half.

bisikaufmann

Putting on skis
Skier
The best part about the 165 FIS ski is it’s magical tail. IMO the shape and torsional stiffness in the tail are the key to making the ski pound for pound the most fun and versatile SL ski out there. Pictured here alongside its non-FIS counterpart, the two have very different shape profiles.

Attachments

• IMG_2531.jpeg
    IMG_2531.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 85

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
If this is listed somewhere please point me in the right direction.

I'm a longtime lover of the stormrider series but on the fence with any non stormrider stockli.

My local ski shop has the montero series (AS, AR and AX) for demos and since they are accessible to me I was wondering about the differences.

TIA

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm a longtime lover of the stormrider series but on the fence with any non stormrider stockli.

My local ski shop has the montero series (AS, AR and AX) for demos and since they are accessible to me I was wondering about the differences.

TIA
Maybe?

There's upstream discussion of which is more comparable to the former Laser AX, and which is preferable for which purpose.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Maybe?

There's upstream discussion of which is more comparable to the former Laser AX, and which is preferable for which purpose.

This'll do. Thanks.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

TIA

Depends what you are looking for. You like the Stormriders but what is it that you want to be different? What are you looking for in the Monteros that would add a different dimension?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
well stöckli prices are out of hand locally :|

$2500 for normal WRT PRO that was $1490 last year , while at same time 72 master could be had for $800 and atomic X9RS about same.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
well stöckli prices are out of hand locally :|

$2500 for normal WRT PRO that was $1490 last year , while at same time 72 master could be had for $800 and atomic X9RS about same.

1700 eur for FIS SL ski is insanity par excellence but here we are…
I am getting 3 pairs of Atomic FIS SL for this money.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

He didn’t like the SR because he thought they were TOO HEAVY? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

If there is anything wrong with the SRs is they are not heavy and stiff enough. Put 200-300 grams more into each ski, make the tips stiffer and they will be PER-FECT.

I watched other “reviews” of this dude-he is totally clueless.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
He didn’t like the SR because he thought they were TOO HEAVY? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

If there is anything wrong with the SRs is they are not heavy and stiff enough. Put 200-300 grams more into each ski, make the tips stiffer and they will be PER-FECT.

I watched other “reviews” of this dude-he is totally clueless.

You are spot on. Unfortunately though, there are more of "these guys" than "us guys". So the manufacturers are "following the money" and continue to dumb down skis by making them lighter and softer so that they're more accessible to the masses. We've seen Stockli doing this year after year with the SR series.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You are spot on. Unfortunately though, there are more of "these guys" than "us guys". So the manufacturers are "following the money" and continue to dumb down skis by making them lighter and softer so that they're more accessible to the masses. We've seen Stockli doing this year after year with the SR series.

Indeed. The plaid ones are still better than anything that came after them. In my eyes Stockli are trying to cater to people/audience that simply don’’t care bout their ski instead of their hardcore fans but I guess they have their reason for that.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
In my eyes Stockli are trying to cater to people/audience that simply don’’t care bout their ski instead of their hardcore fans but I guess they have their reason for that.
Why do you think Porsche/Lamborghini/Ferrari/Bentley/Aston Martin started making SUVs?

The Urus is one of the most awful things I've ever had the misfortune of seeing, yet it sells.

Sponsor

Staff online