• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Indeed. The plaid ones are still better than anything that came after them. In my eyes Stockli are trying to cater to people/audience that simply don’’t care bout their ski instead of their hardcore fans but I guess they have their reason for that.
Still waiting for a company to offer a lower cost model, a step or two down from their flagship line, that's actually the performance sleeper.

"We offer these at a lower price point because it uses lower cost materials that are heavier."

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why do you think Porsche/Lamborghini/Ferrari/Bentley/Aston Martin started making SUVs?

The Urus is one of the most awful things I've ever had the misfortune of seeing, yet it sells.

I don’t think it is the same. I mean they did not start making 95 and 102 mm skis all of a sudden. These have been around for quite some time now.
It is the construction I am puzzled about. They keep talking about lighter core, freeride tips etc when we live in the exciting times of 95 mm carvers and 102mm frontside hardpack skis. :ogbiggrin:
I bet 95% of the people who buy SR95 will never take take them far offpiste and if this is what people will be using them for, why not just give them a proper crudbuster and proper soft snow destroyer?

Make them heavy, make them stiff and laugh all the way to the bank, how hard can it be?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Still waiting for a company to offer a lower cost model, a step or two down from their flagship line, that's actually the performance sleeper.

"We offer these at a lower price point because it uses lower cost materials that are heavier."

Well, Faction did that with CT 21-stiff tips, heavy, awesome ski that became an instant legend. And then they went back to…how to put it correctly…meh-ness…
But it is easier to understand, Faction have completely different fan base whereas Stockli’s main market should be 30+ or even 40+ people with enough money to afford their honestly outrageous prices.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bet 95% of the people who buy SR95 will never take take them far offpiste and if this is what people will be using them for, why not just give them a proper crudbuster and proper soft snow destroyer?
Because that's what the masses want and they think they can sell more skis that way. Only thing that makes sense. Even if 95% of owners never take them off piste. Just like the 99% of SUV owners that never take their truck off pavement (p.s. guilty as charged - I drove our Defender on a dirt road once, and that's about as off road as its going to go). People like the illusion that they could go off piste (or off road) if they wanted. Even if that means they're getting a ski that's suboptimal for the conditions that they ski everyday.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
He didn’t like the SR because he thought they were TOO HEAVY? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

If there is anything wrong with the SRs is they are not heavy and stiff enough. Put 200-300 grams more into each ski, make the tips stiffer and they will be PER-FECT.

I watched other “reviews” of this dude-he is totally clueless.
OMG, no kidding, the guy is a complete Tool!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Depends what you are looking for. You like the Stormriders but what is it that you want to be different? What are you looking for in the Monteros that would add a different dimension?

Depends what you are looking for. You like the Stormriders but what is it that you want to be different? What are you looking for in the Monteros that would add a different dimension?

I'm super happy wtih my stormriders. I've a few stormriders 83, 85 motions, 95s and and older pair of 100s. I LOVE them all. Up until now I've not been thrilled with the Laser series... it's quite possibly me but none have wound my watch and don't have the grip or fun factor that my SR's have. My SR's really grab ice and firm stuff well yet are still playful.

The only reason this came up is because I was chatting with my shop guy at Bromley who has some stocklis in for demo and one of them is one of the monteros, can't remember which one. 80 underfoot ladies model.

I am kinda getting away from my slalom skis and am spending more time on my skis that are 80 and "fatter" so I was just curious if the Monteros were some kind of mix between the lasers and the SR's... Edge grip yet somewhat versatile.

I'll read up on the links posted above. Mostly just curious as to what the montero line brings to the table that perhaps the laser/SR series does not.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm super happy wtih my stormriders. I've a few stormriders 83, 85 motions, 95s and and older pair of 100s. I LOVE them all. Up until now I've not been thrilled with the Laser series... it's quite possibly me but none have wound my watch and don't have the grip or fun factor that my SR's have. My SR's really grab ice and firm stuff well yet are still playful.

The only reason this came up is because I was chatting with my shop guy at Bromley who has some stocklis in for demo and one of them is one of the monteros, can't remember which one. 80 underfoot ladies model.

I am kinda getting away from my slalom skis and am spending more time on my skis that are 80 and "fatter" so I was just curious if the Monteros were some kind of mix between the lasers and the SR's... Edge grip yet somewhat versatile.

I'll read up on the links posted above. Mostly just curious as to what the montero line brings to the table that perhaps the laser/SR series does not.
I adore my SR88's so much I bought a back up pair, which was a first for me. I find them to be very versatile and a hell of a lot of fun in all but the most extreme conditions like pure ice or 12" or more of powder. I also love my Laser AX but if I was forced to choose only one ski it's the SR88. I have the SR95 as well (both are the 2022 model) but since I got the 88's I haven't used the 95's, even in deeper snow. I even contemplated selling the SR95's but decided I'd rather have them as an option in the quiver even if they don't get used a lot.

I'm not in the market for a new ski this season but am interested in hearing what people think of the Montero AS. @Andy Mink seems to be a fan and if memory serves he hasn't been a Stockli fanboi

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@TheArchitect. I hear ya on the backup pair. I just bought a backup pair of my SR motion 85s. I've had those out on full on boiler plate days and they are rock stars. I skied my SR 95s a few times last season and they suprised me with how fun and versatile they are. The SRs can do no wrong in my world.

I've heard nothing good about the Nela so definitely curious about the montero series and what they bring to the stockli table.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I see. If you are doing it out of curiosity only, please try the AS and AW. These are the two we don’t have many data points on. ;)

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
I don’t think it is the same. I mean they did not start making 95 and 102 mm skis all of a sudden. These have been around for quite some time now.
It is the construction I am puzzled about. They keep talking about lighter core, freeride tips etc when we live in the exciting times of 95 mm carvers and 102mm frontside hardpack skis. :ogbiggrin:

Make them heavy, make them stiff and laugh all the way to the bank, how hard can it be?
Be careful what you wish for;)

Stockli is mindful of 2 facts.

1- Accessible skis like the 102 invite skiers to try Stockli and improve their skiing.

2-The original cult Stockli fan is high speed and high power both on piste and off. Stockli is not ignorant to this fact and expectation.

Don't be surprised to see freeride skis for both types in the coming years from Stockli as the brand continues to grow in the North American market.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Be careful what you wish for;)

Stockli is mindful of 2 facts.

1- Accessible skis like the 102 invite skiers to try Stockli and improve their skiing.

2-The original cult Stockli fan is high speed and high power both on piste and off. Stockli is not ignorant to this fact and expectation.

Don't be surprised to see freeride skis for both types in the coming years from Stockli as the brand continues to grow in the North American market.

I’ll humbly take credit for the upcoming heavy stiff destroyers. They can name them Stormrider TS, thank you very much. :ogbiggrin:

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Guys I need help. I need to mount my Montero AR's and the Mrs AX's but I can't decide what bindings to go with. I like Pivots conceptually, and I THINK i'm a big fan of the 15's, but that 84 width of the AR's is kinda in the Pivot no man's land. So now i'm thinking maybe STH2's? Maybe Jesters? I have no idea what to put on the AX's...

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Guys I need help. I need to mount my Montero AR's and the Mrs AX's but I can't decide what bindings to go with. I like Pivots conceptually, and I THINK i'm a big fan of the 15's, but that 84 width of the AR's is kinda in the Pivot no man's land. So now i'm thinking maybe STH2's? Maybe Jesters? I have no idea what to put on the AX's...

STH 2 only come in 16 DIN as I am sure you are aware. That may or may not be what you want.
Are you, like me, averse to Strives?

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
STH 2 only come in 16 DIN as I am sure you are aware. That may or may not be what you want.
Are you, like me, averse to Strives?
No thank you to Strives. I've seen more convincing "durable" plastics from McDonald's toys. I use a 8.5-9 DIN, so yeah 16 is overkill but its overkill that usually comes with more durable/stronger/reliable components. Not really a big fan of Tyrolia's for this same reason.

I kinda see it like this:
Marker Jester: Magnesium housing, but stupid plastic plate mounted to skis that the Mg housing attaches to. Great binding, seems to do everything "well" not "phenomenally", quite dependable.
Pivot 15: Fantastic binding, BUT annoyingly little adjustment. Once its installed, that's about it. No changing boots or moving fore/aft. Also, I completely understand everyones argument about the smaller screw pattern under the heel, but I remain unconvinced you can actually FEEL it make a different in the ski flexing, I dunno maybe i'm numb. And JFC, WHY NO 85MM BRAKE OPTION?!
STH2: Really like the toe, not really confidence inspiring build quality. Performance seems to be there in spades. I really enjoy my DPS Cassiar A79's that I mounted with these, they've been a real treat.
Tyrolia: Too much plastic and too many individual pieces for my liking.
Strive: Felt one in the store and just not impressed. All the parameters check all the right boxes, I just did not like how cheap it felt in my hands. Time will tell, I could certainly be wrong.

But anyway, I don't really think any of these bindings are "bad". I am fully aware of my personal bias here, but that's what we're here to discuss, our personal biases.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No thank you to Strives. I've seen more convincing "durable" plastics from McDonald's toys. I use a 8.5-9 DIN, so yeah 16 is overkill but its overkill that usually comes with more durable/stronger/reliable components. Not really a big fan of Tyrolia's for this same reason.

Marker Jester: Magnesium housing, but stupid plastic plate mounted to skis that the Mg housing attaches to. Great binding, seems to do everything "well" not "phenomenally", quite dependable.
Pivot 15: Fantastic binding, BUT annoyingly little adjustment. Once its installed, that's about it. No changing boots or moving fore/aft. Also, I completely understand everyones argument about the smaller screw pattern under the heel, but I remain unconvinced you can actually FEEL it make a different in the ski flexing, I dunno maybe i'm numb. And JFC, WHY NO 85MM BRAKE OPTION?!
STH2: Really like the toe, not really confidence inspiring build quality. Performance seems to be there in spades. I really enjoy my DPS Cassiar A79's that I mounted with these, they've been a real treat.
Strive: Felt one in the store and just not impressed. All the parameters check all the right boxes, I just did not like how cheap it felt in my hands. Time will tell, I could certainly be wrong.

But anyway, I don't really think any of these bindings are "bad". I am fully aware of my personal bias here, but that's what we're here to discuss, our personal biases.

I think you have just answered your own question ;)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like Pivots, but, like many, I see them as mostly an off-piste binding. So I suggest just letting go on that front.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

You need a groomer binding.

Fischer/Tyrolia Race Z16? (https://www.coloradodiscountskis.com/store/2020_Fischer_RC4_Z16X.html)
Marker XCell?

Edit: Not sure if the Fischer requires a plate. But you get the idea.

Sponsor

Staff online