• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
She demo-ed the Stöckli Laser ARs and loved them, but the local shop is saying if she loved those, she'd love the Laser AX or the Kästle MX 75s even more, as they'd be even more responsive, esp. on firmer snow.
Yup, she probably will. If she is a vibrant outgoing person, the AX, more conservative, the MX75

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you. Do you mean that in terms of skiing style or personal style (because the MX75 has, ahem, quieter topsheet graphics)?
the latter ;). Both are great skis. It anything, the Kastle might want a bit, an ever so bit more attention though the turn becaue of tip & tail shape.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The AR has a bit more precision, the AX a bit more more versatility and funk (and rebound pop).
The MX75 has almost the precision of the AR, but with that relatively wide tip, versatility in a bit of fresh, and fresh on bumps.

Gone Skiin'

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The AR has a bit more precision, the AX a bit more more versatility and funk (and rebound pop).
The MX75 has almost the precision of the AR, but with that relatively wide tip, versatility in a bit of fresh, and fresh on bumps.
Thanks -- interesting on the precision vs. versatility, esp. given that I would have thought the AR's wider waist would make it more versatile. Question: Relatively wide tip of the MX75? The MX75's tip is the same width as the AX (124), with the AR's tip being wider (130). Maybe I don't follow you.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The MX75's tip is the same width as the AX (124), with the AR's tip being wider (130). Maybe I don't follow you.
the same widths are just the widest points, look at the shape of the two tips, vastly different. There is more to the performance and feel than just the numbers.

Take a look here where i talk about 4 skis that have near identical dimensions yet ski dramatically different.

Hootbmx

Booting up
Skier
Does anyone have any experience on the 2019 and newer Laser AX in the 182 length and the older AX in the 183 length? I know the older 183 length seemed to have some mixed reviews and I'm trying to find out if the newer 182 length is somewhat improved over the 183. I know the 174/175 is the goldilocks length but I can get a killer deal on a 182 length with Look SPX 15 rockerrace bindings on a R22 plate that is too good to pass up.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know the older 183 length seemed to have some mixed reviews
Most of the mixed reviews on the older one were from people who were too small or not enough skier to appreciate the ski. This ski with an R22 plate and Rocker Race will be a real big boy ski and will need room to run for sure.

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
I have a pair of Kästle MX74s in a 164 available for her to demo if she’d like to. PM if interested.

Hootbmx

Booting up
Skier
Most of the mixed reviews on the older one were from people who were too small or not enough skier to appreciate the ski. This ski with an R22 plate and Rocker Race will be a real big boy ski and will need room to run for sure.

Thanks Phil. I'm short (5'8") but weigh 210-220 (old powerlifter). I live in Utah and like high speed cruising/carving (50 mph plus when conditions allow) which sounds like this 182 Laser AX would be at home with. Do you think this setup would be limited to just this type of skiing or would it still offer some all mountain versatility?

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have any experience on the 2019 and newer Laser AX in the 182 length and the older AX in the 183 length? I know the older 183 length seemed to have some mixed reviews and I'm trying to find out if the newer 182 length is somewhat improved over the 183. I know the 174/175 is the goldilocks length but I can get a killer deal on a 182 length with Look SPX 15 rockerrace bindings on a R22 plate that is too good to pass up.
Haven't A/B'd them, but I've got the AX 182 with the Stockli version of the demo Warden 13. Picked up last spring just as things shut down, so I didn't get a chance to ski them until this season. My everyday ski for the past 2 years has been a Stockli Stormrider 88 in 177 plus Atomic G9 183's for beer league racing and Atomic FIS 158 slaloms for fun. Bought the 182s wondering if I should have gotten the 175s.

Glad I went with the 182s. For the conditions so far at our hill (mostly manmade) they have been great. Good edge hold, damp with no real speed limit, yet bendable when you want to make shorter turns. Very nice in mixed snow and minor moguls-I'm a little cautious in bigger moguls as I'm a somewhat old man with a questionable left knee.

I'm 5'10" 185, so a little taller and lighter. High speed cruising and carving? I don't think you'll be disappointed in the AX 182 at all.

PS-I moved the bindings a short 5 mm forward of center and it made a difference. I like the way they ski well enough in that position that I haven't bothered to change them more.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks -- interesting on the precision vs. versatility, esp. given that I would have thought the AR's wider waist would make it more versatile. Question: Relatively wide tip of the MX75? The MX75's tip is the same width as the AX (124), with the AR's tip being wider (130). Maybe I don't follow you.
Yeah, what Phil said. I was going by how the ski felt on the snow, and what it can do, rather than measurements.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A colleague texted me this week from Snowmass with a question about what Stockli model to demo with little in the way of recent snow. He took out the AX, then immediately bought a pair. He then found a killer deal on a pair of SR 105s (2019) and bought them, too. From zero to quiver in under a week!

BTW, I took advantage of the same deal on the SR 105s. My SR 107s (Green dragon logo) are perfectly fine. But, well, you know...

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks Phil. I'm short (5'8") but weigh 210-220 (old powerlifter). I live in Utah and like high speed cruising/carving (50 mph plus when conditions allow) which sounds like this 182 Laser AX would be at home with. Do you think this setup would be limited to just this type of skiing or would it still offer some all mountain versatility?
Get yourself a deervalley pass and have fun on the immaculate groomers and their idea of "all mountain". You can also switch skis at lunch after the groom has been chopped up if you truly are maximizing your day.

James

Out There
Instructor
the same widths are just the widest points, look at the shape of the two tips, vastly different. There is more to the performance and feel than just the numbers.

Take a look here where i talk about 4 skis that have near identical dimensions yet ski dramatically different.
That Rossi E88hd versus it’s replacement the Experience 88 further illustrates your point. The new one is an all terrain shape, the old is basically carver oriented.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That Rossi E88hd versus it’s replacement the Experience 88 further illustrates your point. The new one is an all terrain shape, the old is basically carver oriented.
And the upcoming 86Ti is the best of both.

switters

Booting up
Skier
Hi all, first post here. I recently bought a pair of Stormrider 88s, and I am 100% hooked. I now understand what all of the hype is about. My first few runs were actually a bit disorienting... before I knew it I was going 40 mph, and the skis were dead quiet with rock-solid stability. I've never felt more confident at higher speeds. Skiing on these things is like cutting butter with a hot knife.

My buddy who encouraged me to get these said once I get a pair of Stocklis, I'll want to sell all of my other skis and replace them with more Stocklis. Unfortunately for my wallet, he's right!

I can't do that all at once, but the next slot in my quiver that I'm eyeing a pair of Stocklis for is a dedicated carver. That's my main focus this year, and the low snowpack is keeping me on the groomers a lot of the time. Right now I have the Head e.Magnum SuperShapes 170 cm with a 13 m turn radius. Super fun for short turns practicing new technique, but of course, not the best ski for railing fast, medium and long radius turns.

So, I'm thinking of adding a ski with a 17-18 m turn radius that would slot in between these e.Magnums and the SR88s. This would be a dedicated, on-piste ski—I've got the SR88s as a narrower all-mountain ski and Liberty Origin 106 as a wider all-mountain ski for days with more snow, trees, steeps, etc.

What would you suggest? I was considering the Blizzard Firebird WRC for this slot, but now that I've skied the SR88s a few times, I'm leaning toward a Stockli instead.