• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Random question for the group: I just bought a pair of Laser AX's that were demo skis. Great condition, but they have some writing (ski length, etc.) on them, from some sort of permanent marker. I'd like to remove the writing. Soap and water did nothing. Does anyone have insight into whether a solvent like nail polish remover would damage the ski?
What length are they? If they are 168s it will never come off. Just give up now and sell them cheap.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
CCCCF408-9FA6-4AB2-BDBE-4A2E369562A0.jpeg

Bluebird day today at Whitefish with a high of 41 at the Summit. Took out my SR95 instead of the SR88 and was reminded why I love this ski. It handled the variable conditions as the snow warmed with ease. It killed it on the moguls and on the steeps. In one word this ski is smooth. Fast, slow, bumps, slush you name it the ride is smooth. Stockli really did a great job with this ski as even at speed when the soft tips start to chatter you do not really feel it as the rest of the ski just absorbs the vibration. So how does this compare to the SR88, well it is different. I would definitely prefer the SR88 on hard packed icy days or days where I am just skiing groomers but in the bumps, moguls and soft snow the SR95 has the edge. If you want a precise ski that needs to be driven and gives more feedback go with the SR88. For something a little more forgiving with a softer ride go with the SR95. Better yet get both skis as they are both great and while you are at it grab yourself a carving ski too

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Random question for the group: I just bought a pair of Laser AX's that were demo skis. Great condition, but they have some writing (ski length, etc.) on them, from some sort of permanent marker. I'd like to remove the writing. Soap and water did nothing. Does anyone have insight into whether a solvent like nail polish remover would damage the ski?

Bro! Before you risk any damage by using a ketone on the top sheet, try this: Grab yourself an expo or any other dry erase marker, write over the sharpie with the dry erase, let sit for a few seconds, then wipe away. I know it sounds silly, but it is honestly magic sometimes.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sharpies are taken off pretty well with alcohol. But paint sharpies might need more aggressive hydrocarbons.
Dry erase markers contain an alcohol, Isopropanol. You probably have some in the bathroom.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

I have had great success with Goo Gone or something similar. A couple of drops and the magic marker lifts off by itself without even rubbing on it.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
My absolute go to for removing that kind of “stuff” is 3M Brand General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.

Always have both the aerosol and liquid on hand. Great product. It’s also the gold standard, IMO, for removing any kind of adhesive.

^this is truth. Never without any on hand.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I think Goo Gone might be similar, definitely petroleum based.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Rubbing alcohol is great for cleaning things without destroying them.

Edit - even better if you can get your hands on Isopropyl Alcohol.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here’s the general ingredients to that 3M Adhesive Remover.
View attachment 130617
Link
That explains why it's effective. When I was young my dad had cans of all that stuff and more and worse. He would use them to clean ... you know, lawn mower carburetor jets, whatever. Then there would be a soaked rag sitting around the basement emitting potent VOCs for the next twelve hours as we stood there next to it racing our slot cars or whatever. I'm sure whatever I die of will be related to that. No one knew at the time, of course. At least we didn't.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
That explains why it's effective. When I was young my dad had cans of all that stuff and more and worse. He would use them to clean ... you know, lawn mower carburetor jets, whatever. Then there would be a soaked rag sitting around the basement emitting potent VOCs for the next twelve hours as we stood there next to it racing our slot cars or whatever. I'm sure whatever I die of will be related to that. No one knew at the time, of course. At least we didn't.

Yep.....rags either outside, or to the dump, into the outdoor trash as soon as they dry. And don't inhale.
But it does work. Used it all the time when I worked summers in the marine/sailing business. For it's intended purpose it really works. Works for this, too.

BTW, used to use a lot of old school alcohol based wax cleaner to remove Sharpie in the past, as well.

And I use a LOT of rubbing alcohol to remove "stuff" from our cars. Like bugs, pine pitch, etc. It works well. Seems to eat any wax, though......

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Lacquer thinner....careful....about 10x the power of goo gone. Test in inconspicuous spot first. Go fast before it goes deeper. I paint exteriors mostly and it wins almost any challenge.

VS_Power

Booting up
Skier
Some pics of 2022 Stocklis found here. Love the new looks!

Laser SL:
stockli_2022_laser_sl__prop_1000x604.jpg

Laser GS:
stockli_2022_laser_gs__prop_1000x604.jpg

Now that I've got your attention, any opinions on the SL vs the CX for a slalom carver ski? I was definitely leaning towards the CX originally because it looks amazing, but with these new topsheets it's a draw for me.

It's strange to me that the SL has a bigger sidecut radius (13.6m vs 12.8 at ~165cm), but perhaps that's splitting hairs. The SL is also supposedly harder to use though some report it as being surprisingly user friendly. Despite reports that the CX has no metal, it actually does have two sheets, and some report it as being stiffer than the SL (Noodler and possibly a few others I've found in search). CX is ~200g lighter. I almost want to lean towards SL because it's a lot more popular and there is next to no information (or demos) on the CX.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Some pics of 2022 Stöcklis found here. Love the new looks!

Laser SL:

Laser GS:

Now that I've got your attention, any opinions on the SL vs the CX for a slalom carver ski? I was definitely leaning towards the CX originally because it looks amazing, but with these new topsheets it's a draw for me.

It's strange to me that the SL has a bigger sidecut radius (13.6m vs 12.8 at ~165cm), but perhaps that's splitting hairs. The SL is also supposedly harder to use though some report it as being surprisingly user friendly. Despite reports that the CX has no metal, it actually does have two sheets, and some report it as being stiffer than the SL (Noodler and possibly a few others I've found in search). CX is ~200g lighter. I almost want to lean towards SL because it's a lot more popular and there is next to no information (or demos) on the CX.

There is next to no info on 2022 models out there yet, so any advice other than from @LindseyB is pure conjecture.

VS_Power

Booting up
Skier
I'm hoping the site is pretty legit as their reported Stormrider lineup matches what Powder7 reported, who I'm assuming is one of the most legit Stockli dealers in the US since they're the only one i can see who actually carry the CX!

The site is also a French site, and I've noticed in general that the next seasons skis / snowboards are released earlier overseas.

I doubt Lindsey is gonna comment on any of this officially so I'm happy to speculate around him!!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some pics of 2022 Stöcklis found here. Love the new looks!

Laser SL:

Laser GS:

Good. Would be interesting to see the type of material they used for the topsheets this year.
SL is a nice ski if you are into this type of ski-SL I mean. I sold mine simply because I did not like the endless left-right-left-right for which they are made. But it is not a dislike to Laser SL, it is dislike to all SL ski in general. :ogbiggrin:
I found that 15-16 m radius is where I feel best.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
I'm hoping the site is pretty legit as their reported Stormrider lineup matches what Powder7 reported, who I'm assuming is one of the most legit Stöckli dealers in the US since they're the only one i can see who actually carry the CX!

The site is also a French site, and I've noticed in general that the next seasons skis / snowboards are released earlier overseas.

I doubt Lindsey is gonna comment on any of this officially so I'm happy to speculate around him!!

FYI, Powder 7 is the site that started the "no-metal" rumor about the CX.

SL- only change it tougher top sheet material.

GS- see attachment

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 2.27.36 PM.png

Last edited: