• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Random question for the group: I just bought a pair of Laser AX's that were demo skis. Great condition, but they have some writing (ski length, etc.) on them, from some sort of permanent marker. I'd like to remove the writing. Soap and water did nothing. Does anyone have insight into whether a solvent like nail polish remover would damage the ski?

I've always had good luck with heavy ammonia glass cleaner. It takes patience, but it usually works without damaging the plastic.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Stöckli needs to give you a raise! Thank you!

CX vs. SL

CX is essentially a tighter radius SX. If you read the SX reviews it is safe to use them with a tighter turn in mind.

The SL is one dimensional. Tight poppy turns all the time. Super fun, but very single minded.

The CX is more versatile. Every time I get the new version in my fleet, this is the first ski my brother goes to.

Think of the CX as an all mountain SL where the SX is an all mountain GS.

If I was an instructor doing short turn clinics I would pull out the CX. Lots of power and finesse in the same ride. Strong enough torsionally underfoot to pop hard slalom turns, but with turtleshell tech to smooth out the tip and tail.

The CX is the best looking Laser right now. The next SL and GS look better than the 20/21, but the CX takes the cake on looks. The tones and topsheet blend perfect especially with a matched SRT 12 binding.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
How does the CX compare to the WRT ST?

My personal opinion is that the WRT ST is like the street-legal hot rod that can easily perform on the race track. It's a FIS-type build akin to the rest of the FIS level Stockli models. The CX has some serious horsepower, but it's not at the same level. However, that's a good thing as it keeps the ski more adaptable. I like how Lindsey described it. He obviously nailed it.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so which one of these superb skis for places like the PNW where groomers don’t last long, rather on piste becomes off-piste by noon? And besides the groomed runs tend to be narrower than other regions, so one tends to venture off piste, and bonus points for being decent in bumps. Still want good edge grip. Do not need a StormRider 88 given what I current have in my quiver.

I’m thinking Laser AX or SC, or maybe SX. Or CX.

VS_Power

Booting up
Skier
CX vs. SL

CX is essentially a tighter radius SX. If you read the SX reviews it is safe to use them with a tighter turn in mind.

The SL is one dimensional. Tight poppy turns all the time. Super fun, but very single minded.

The CX is more versatile. Every time I get the new version in my fleet, this is the first ski my brother goes to.

Think of the CX as an all mountain SL where the SX is an all mountain GS.

If I was an instructor doing short turn clinics I would pull out the CX. Lots of power and finesse in the same ride. Strong enough torsionally underfoot to pop hard slalom turns, but with turtleshell tech to smooth out the tip and tail.

The CX is the best looking Laser right now. The next SL and GS look better than the 20/21, but the CX takes the cake on looks. The tones and topsheet blend perfect especially with a matched SRT 12 binding.

Thank you Lindsey!! Never expected to get such a good answer for anything on the internet, ha!

Question: are there any changes for the CX in 21/22? Also, can we make orders through you? (No dealer within 4 hours of me sells the CX [San Francisco, CA])

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK, so which one of these superb skis for places like the PNW where groomers don’t last long, rather on piste becomes off-piste by noon? And besides the groomed runs tend to be narrower than other regions, so one tends to venture off piste, and bonus points for being decent in bumps. Still want good edge grip. Do not need a StormRider 88 given what I current have in my quiver.

I’m thinking Laser AX or SC, or maybe SX. Or CX.

David, my 2017 Laser AX are the most versatile skis I've been on. Equally excellent on frozen corduroy* or scraped off porcelain, soft pack, slush, crud, and up to about 4" of fresh. Very good vibration damping. My bad knee tells me to avoid bumps, but when I end up in them the skis easily do everything I ask of them. I'm sure other skis do some things better. I'm not sure many skis will do as many things as well. Now...I'm waiting to see if the 2022 AX, after 3 product cycle upgrades, will be noticeably better than my 2017s.

*We need a movement to stop grooming runs in the spring before they've frozen for the night. 3rd shift grooming only!

Mp29

Putting on skis
Skier
SR95 on spring mashed potatoes and gravy today. These skis are just special in every way. I’ve never had more fun on a ski in my life. My quiver has gone all Stockli. AX/SR95/SR105 Edge100 for skinning. Those Swiss really know skis I’ll tell ya.

FYI the new SR95 is similar but the tips are redesigned and much stiffer which is not something I’m looking for. Hence why I have two new pairs as backups.

Cantankerous

Putting on skis
Skier
FYI the new SR95 is similar but the tips are redesigned and much stiffer which is not something I’m looking for. Hence why I have two new pairs as backups

Hey Mp29--

Not doubting or questioning that tips on 2022 SR are much stiffer- as you say; just want to ask how/where did you come by this--since everything that I've heard is that the tips are changed --but that the change is just very slight.

Mp29

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey Mp29--

Not doubting or questioning that tips on 2022 SR are much stiffer- as you say; just want to ask how/where did you come by this--since everything that I've heard is that the tips are changed --but that the change is just very slight.

From the US Stockli distributors in Waterbury VT. Noticeably stiffer in the SR95 tips because apparently the feedback from somewhere was that the current version is too soft. Shame because to me they are perfect. When I heard this I bought as many of the current version as I could find! It doesn’t surprise me because as many have said before each iteration of the Stormrider is really it’s own animal. No two are the same from version to version.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Just found out that the new Nastar National champ for 40 age group just won on my pair of 180 GS demoes.
From the US Stöckli distributors in Waterbury VT. Noticeably stiffer in the SR95 tips because apparently the feedback from somewhere was that the current version is too soft. Shame because to me they are perfect. When I heard this I bought as many of the current version as I could find! It doesn’t surprise me because as many have said before each iteration of the Stormrider is really it’s own animal. No two are the same from version to version.

Only the very far section of the tips are stiffer. The front section of the ski is identical, thus making it have the same flex pattern.

The stiffer tip material really only affects the torsion of the tip, making it engage easier. I couldn't find a downside to the new tip design. Other than very slightly faster turn initiation, the ski feels identical.

I am also in the camp of not wanting to see it changed from the prior generation and for me the ski is essentially a twin brother with barely quicker reflexes.

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Pretty sure I saw @LindseyB out ripping it up on some SR 95s at Snowbasin yesterday. The new topsheets are gorgeous.

I was out cruising around with Andy DesJardins. He works at Alpine Sports and hadn't been on the 95 yet. Today was pretty good skiing early on. Not bad for last weekend snow.

Say hi next time in the Needles line so I know who to look out for.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
He works at Alpine Sports and hadn't been on the 95 yet.

Has Alpine Sports picked up Stockli?

Today was fun. Were you skiing ARs? I saw a pair with the new top sheet siiting in the snow near the top of Little Cat when I was schlepping my way back to the car.

cb the ripper

Booting up
Skier
Bit of thread drift, but curious to hear everyone’s opinion on the laser gs (other than it rocks) and how it compares to the Ax, which I own. Too much overlap?

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Has Alpine Sports picked up Stöckli?

Today was fun. Were you skiing ARs? I saw a pair with the new top sheet siiting in the snow near the top of Little Cat when I was schlepping my way back to the car.

I was on the AR and 95s. I had Ben Kaufman ski the AR for a bit. Perfect ski for today's variable snow.

Yes, Alpine Sports has placed an order to become a dealer this fall.