• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
"quiver complete" lolol
ok who am I kidding my quiver is built on the mathematical equation of N+1 and is ever changing so never truly complete, but for this particular moment in time my quiver is complete ... mind you @Philpug did do a nice write up on Moment skis .....

DJD

Booting up
Skier
Mission accomplished quiver complete

Look what arrived this morning. Getting them tuned tonight so I can ski them this weekend during those crisp spring morning runs.

Full quiver now consists of the following:
Stöckli Laser AX
Stöckli SR88
Stöckli SR95
Nordica Enforcer 110

Now if only Stöckli had a ski for deep pow

When would you use the AX vs using the SR88?

dovski

Skier
When would you use the AX vs using the SR88?
The AX will be my frontside carving ski. It is a 175 vs my SR88 which is 184. The AX also has a much tighter turning radius than the SR88 and a different flex profile that should make it fun in the bumps and moguls on hard packed and icy days. I will post a proper comparison of the AX to the SR88 after I ski it on Saturday.

I can carve in the SR88 but it takes much more speed and power to do so. SR88 is a great power ski for the front side. Think skiing fast, busting crud and long arc turns. It is also great on the steeps and super precise. It's width lends itself to some off piste skiing, but I have not enjoyed as much in bumps and moguls. It also was not my preferred ski for trees.

Hope this helps clarify. Will update on the AX after Saturday.

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
That is a killer quiver @dovski. I was planning to downsize my quiver this year but this is some enabling for me having a 4-ski quiver instead of a 3 :roflmao:

dovski

Skier
That is a killer quiver @dovski. I was planning to downsize my quiver this year but this is some enabling for me having a 4-ski quiver instead of a 3 :roflmao:
To be clear I do not ski all 4 skis all the time, waiting for stockli to make a transformer ski that morphs based on the conditions :roflmao: Joking aside while there is a lot of talk about a one quiver do it all ski I get much more enjoyment skiing the right ski for the right conditions. So my Enforcer 110 only gets pulled out a couple times a year on deep POW days, but is always super fun in those conditions, more so than any other ski in my quiver. SR95 is my daily driver and is great off piste, in bumps, crud and pow, but can also hold and edge nicely. SR88 is my front side big turning ski and is great groomers and hardpacked icy days and also great for those days where I just want to ski fast and attack the hill, it has the versatility to go off piste and into the bumps but is not as fun as the SR95 in those conditions. Laser AX is my short turn carving ski and I will be taking that out for the first time on Saturday. Likely will only ski the AC in the morning as by afternoon the hill will be pretty soft with a high of 55. Like this ski because it is a versatile/accessible carving ski that I can ski in varied conditions - to be clear unlike some on this site I am not a former racer and while I can ski race inspired skis, I am typically not skiing terrain that lends itself to them, hence my choice of the AX vs something like the WRT. I also used to own the SX, which was super fun to ski on groomers but did not have the versatility of the AX and since I do not ski a lot of groomers did not make sense for me.

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
To be clear I do not ski all 4 skis all the time, waiting for Stöckli to make a transformer ski that morphs based on the conditions :roflmao: Joking aside while there is a lot of talk about a one quiver do it all ski I get much more enjoyment skiing the right ski for the right conditions. So my Enforcer 110 only gets pulled out a couple times a year on deep POW days, but is always super fun in those conditions, more so than any other ski in my quiver. SR95 is my daily driver and is great off piste, in bumps, crud and pow, but can also hold and edge nicely. SR88 is my front side big turning ski and is great groomers and hardpacked icy days and also great for those days where I just want to ski fast and attack the hill, it has the versatility to go off piste and into the bumps but is not as fun as the SR95 in those conditions. Laser AX is my short turn carving ski and I will be taking that out for the first time on Saturday. Likely will only ski the AC in the morning as by afternoon the hill will be pretty soft with a high of 55. Like this ski because it is a versatile/accessible carving ski that I can ski in varied conditions - to be clear unlike some on this site I am not a former racer and while I can ski race inspired skis, I am typically not skiing terrain that lends itself to them, hence my choice of the AX vs something like the WRT. I also used to own the SX, which was super fun to ski on groomers but did not have the versatility of the AX and since I do not ski a lot of groomers did not make sense for me.

I'm with you, to be sure you can have 80-90% of the fun on the "wrong" ski for the conditions, but that last 10-20% can really put a good day over the top. I have a really fat ski that I didn't ski this season because never had conditions that dictated it, but when the conditions are there, MAN is it fun. Unfortunately I probably have to re-mount it if I want to continue using it, and I'm on the fence about it since it's a 2013 vintage ski - but on the other hand $200 for a binding and mount is a pretty cheap deal for a powder ski! So we'll see.

I really need to ski some SR's sometime - I don't have a place in my quiver for them really right now, but I'd certainly like to experience them. You guys in here rave so much I gotta get a feel! The Laser AX however from what you're saying here sounds like it might be a nice eventual replacement for my pure carvers with ~95+% of the carving power but a lot more versatility.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
to be clear unlike some on this site I am not a former racer and while I can ski race inspired skis, I am typically not skiing terrain that lends itself to them, hence my choice of the AX vs something like the WRT.

You need to try them tho. The WRT ST that is. Just for fun. You might change your mind. ;)
I know someone who did that.:ogbiggrin: Went from AX to WRT ST and would not go back.

But they are no no for afternoon slush that's for sure, you need to be ultra careful with the edging and keep em as flat as possible-you overdo it just a little at 0,5/3, you find yourself on your ass. They are not very fond of skidding and smearing in soft snow. But this is what SR 95s are for, right?

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
You need to try them tho. The WRT ST that is. Just for fun. You might change your mind. ;)
I know someone who did that.:ogbiggrin: Went from AX to WRT ST and would not go back.

But they are no no for afternoon slush that's for sure, you need to be ultra careful with the edging and keep em as flat as possible-you overdo it just a little at 0,5/3, you find yourself on your ass. They are not very fond of skidding and smearing in soft snow. But this is what SR 95s are for, right?

@Tony Storaro ....is up to no-good again. Always tempting people to buy more Stocklis. :) LOL

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony Storaro ....is up to no-good again. Always tempting people to buy more Stöcklis. :) LOL

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Now is THE TIME! End of season deals and whatnot...

I am driven by humanistic, philanthropic motives only -I'd really hate it if you guys missed out on an insanely great experience just because I did not share with you how mindblowingly awesome the WRT ST are.
The guilt and the feeling I have failed you wont let me sleep at night, so I am just making sure I did my best. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

dovski

Skier

So as I said I used to on the Laser SX and have skied the WRT. Both are amazing skis but not well suited to where I ski. Alpental's big selling point is their lack of grooming providing an amazing off piste experience. Simply put when I had the SX I would ski it 1-2 days a year at most and always on vacation on groomers. Ax has the versatility to handle a little off piste and is a softer ski than the WRT, which lends it to moguls and bumps more than the WRT. Now if you or anyone on this site would like to gift me a pair of WRT STs that would be amazing and I would be very appreciative, but absent that it is not on my list of skis to buy as I just would not ski it enough to justify. Put it this way I am not one of those guys who buys fancy cars only to leaving them parked in the garage, the same goes for my skis. Bottom line is I am not going to put baby in the corner :cool:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both are amazing skis but not well suited to where I ski. Alpental's big selling point is their lack of grooming providing an amazing off piste experience.

Ermmmm, no, in that case WRT ST is not the ski you want, I agree.
Amazing off piste experience and WRT ST do not belong in the same sentence. :ogbiggrin:
It'd be like taking your Ducati Panigale to a dirt track. Makes zero sense to invest quite a lot of money for 2-3 days skiing a year.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have the SR95 waxed up and ready for a powder day tomorrow, but it's going to be fighting for a position against my Fischer Ranger 108 Ti who also is ready to enter the ring with waxed bases. Now it's just up to Ullr to decide which fighter will get the call...

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the SR95 waxed up and ready for a powder day tomorrow, but it's going to be fighting for a position against my Fischer Ranger 108 Ti who also is ready to enter the ring with waxed bases. Now it's just up to Ullr to decide which fighter will get the call...

You need to share some views on the 108ti. Not on this threat obviously :ogbiggrin:

These were very high on my list but then I decided to go for Wildcats 108.
Too bad I won’t know how good they are until next season dammit.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
You need to share some views on the 108ti. Not on this threat obviously :ogbiggrin:

These were very high on my list but then I decided to go for Wildcats 108.
Too bad I won’t know how good they are until next season dammit.

"Threat"? Clearly a Freudian slip... ;)

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New owner of 182 Laser ARs I purchased in March. I found myself in a position of needing new skis about 3 weeks before my L2 exam. I was able to demo a couple of skis from our excellent local ski shop. The Laser AR was so smooth and connected, like nothing I had skied before. Generally not a good idea to change your gear right before the exam, but I passed and I know the ARs gave me an advantage.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
New owner of 182 Laser ARs I purchased in March. I found myself in a position of needing new skis about 3 weeks before my L2 exam. I was able to demo a couple of skis from our excellent local ski shop. The Laser AR was so smooth and connected, like nothing I had skied before. Generally not a good idea to change your gear right before the exam, but I passed and I know the ARs gave me an advantage.

The AR is my go to spring ski. Holds a great edge on refrozen trails in the morning and carves slush without getting hung up in the mid day-afternoon.

Congrats on passing the exam.

Sponsor

Staff online