• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry...can you please clarify the terms "inboard" and "outboard"? Just can't picture what you mean...Am I the only one who has never encountered them before?
Thanks
Need a cocktail napkin! Basically by "inboard" I mean between the ski's widest points at tip and tail. "Outboard" is everything else.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
FWIW, my brief east coast demo of this ski aligns with your impression and, for that matter, with the general thrust of Noodler's argument. Or maybe the ski was just too long.

Tune does seem to be a big issue with Stöcklis. Not sure whether it's that the skis are are especially sensitive to it, or whether it's just that the factory tune is non-standard and also unreliable.

Pursuant to someone's post up thread, "detuning" does not mean dulling the edge outboard of the on-edge contact points; it means dulling it inboard of those points.

Meanwhile I skied the women's SR 85 all week at Squaw in spring conditions and it was great ... AFTER I finally caved and got a full grind and base bevel reset.

I think you're onto something here and I believe it's probably why Stockli themselves recommend higher base bevels on their skis as they get wider. They're using more aggressive base bevels as a solution to some challenges with the wider ski performance in off-piste skiing.

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
I own a pair of Laser AX, SR88 and SR95 and sold my SR105's to a forum member. I love my SR88's and SR95's. They are the smoothest skis around as well as being somewhat light and you can be lazy on them. I also like my Laser AX's but not as much as my SR's. If you get lazy on the AX's forget about it the ski will ski you instead of the other way around. As for my SR105's I felt they were way to much work and just never really cared for them. However I think the guy that bought them from me loves them. They were just too much ski for me.

As for the SR102's not really that interested in them. I bought a pair of Fischer Ranger FR 102's this year and they are absolutely awesome. Not sure there is a more perfect ski for me in that width for me. They are truly amazing.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Need a cocktail napkin! Basically by "inboard" I mean between the ski's widest points at tip and tail. "Outboard" is everything else.

Hmm...by that definition I have not detuned "inboard" in over 25 years!

NousSommeLeMorte

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Just anecdotally regarding the talk of Stockli's tune... I just received Laser AR 168 from SkiEssentials and the edges are quite sharp with a touch of detuning in the first and last ~4" at each end. They are as-sharp or sharper as the Salomon Force Bolds I also got. (I believe inflation will occur soon so I'm buying everything I'll want/need in the next few years while my cash has buying power.)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just anecdotally regarding the talk of Stöckli's tune... I just received Laser AR 168 from SkiEssentials and the edges are quite sharp with a touch of detuning in the first and last ~4" at each end. They are as-sharp or sharper as the Salomon Force Bolds I also got. (I believe inflation will occur soon so I'm buying everything I'll want/need in the next few years while my cash has buying power.)
Sharpness has not been the issue.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it my imagination, or has everybody on this site forgotten and abandoned their former love interests.....made by Renoun. There was a time when it seemed like Renoun was building, according to PugSki lore, the best skis on the planet. Now, the love for Stöckli, seemingly by skiers of every size, shape, gender and skill level, is enormous. Gotta have a "quiver" of them.

Shall we bring Augment into the discussion. I have friends who SELL Stöckli and are buying Augment off their own racks to ski. Seems like we have a lot of Augment love building {for good reason.} Then we have people who love Blossom. Let alone good old mainstream skis like Head!
I still have my Z90’s. I pondered giving them to a friend but decided to keep them. Still a special ski that I enjoy when the snow is really cruddy.

I got to try the AM98. Spectacular ski....nice and easy but seems to do everything. Smoooooth, too. If I was in the market for that genre of ski, I’d consider paying the high cost for it.

I traded my AX for the Blossom Whiteout (Sideral version). Not because it’s better, but it’s BETTER FOR ME. Years ago, I had a Monster 78. Probably a little too much ski for me at the time but it was really versatile. I skied my first back bowls at Vail on them. If that ski still existed it would be a good mainstream contender for Stockli AX/Blossom Whiteout. Speaking of tunes, I had to have my AX reground because it did not come from the factory flat. It was a bit edge high. Surprised that a manufacturer like Stockli botched that up.

Hopefully @KingGrump I’ll have better legs beneath me next year (aka more ski days) so by the time I go back West, I can actually ski the mountain. I got a little freaked out at Mammoth.. ;)

Wasn’t Tony S on your AX? Is there anywhere you’d ski the AX instead of your SL’s?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I have a sad Stockli story with a happy ending :) Last weekend at Snowbird I put three core shots in SR95s. Two were right next to the edge exposing the would core and about 2 inches of the actual edge - base material completely stripped out. On most skis this would has have wrecked the edge. This is where the Stockli build quality really came through for me. Edges held firm and straight to the ski. A couple base welds and a proper tune has brought the skis back to like new conditions. Had this been just about any other ski I would most certainly destroyed and dislodged the edge creating an expensive repair and ski that would never quite ski the same ... luckily not my Stocklis :)

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One day I’ll show you my 106SR core shot.
One of those hits that you have to climb back up and pull the ski off the shark tooth rock. A leatherman was needed to cut the flap off to move.
Skis still rock :ogbiggrin:

James

Out There
Instructor
Is it my imagination, or has everybody on this site forgotten and abandoned their former love interests.....made by Renoun.
You forgot Kastle. Now seemingly relegated to viewing when picking up the kids for visitation.
Before that was the OG Bonafide.
Before that the BROS.

There was a time around those when apparently you had to have the longest Dynastar Legend XXL to have any self respect at Snowbird. That was in the era when Scott Schmidt and then Dominique Perret had signature Stockli fat ski models.

That era seemed to get blown up by the Rossi Soul 7.

Way back I think the Volkl Explosive was kind of a fringy must have.

after I bought a tru bar all the problems came to light.
What did you see?

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wasn't there an Atomic ski that everyone was nutty for back in the Epic days?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Metron.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
What did you see?
AR Tip and tail concave, mid ski way too much base bevel
GS Tip and tail a little concave , inconsistent base bevel mid ski , They were hand tuned at the dealer so that may have been a factor. Ski MD Knew where I purchased them without asking . The concave is all factory tune defect though.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
An SR95 with the right tune should ski circles around the Bonafide.

Is this really true? It sounds like this year's Bonafide is a fantastic ski -- from reviewers here and elsewhere. It's one ski I wanted to demo this season, but it didn't happen.

But maybe "fantastic" for a normal ski is "meh" at the Stockli level...

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is this really true? It sounds like this year's Bonafide is a fantastic ski -- from reviewers here and elsewhere. It's one ski I wanted to demo this season, but it didn't happen.

But maybe "fantastic" for a normal ski is "meh" at the Stöckli level...
i think that was in response to my post on my demo day experience 6inches leftover on the Sr95 and bonafide97 and having a meh experience on the SR offpiste.
Perhaps tongue in cheek; my exact problem was the SR95 would only ski circles. So my snarky response is the Bonafide will ski Hs straight over the SR95's circles.
Anyway you better demo to see if you have the same issue before buying blind.
I ended up picking a pair of bonafide97 on an end of season sale at a great price, so i have 3 gens of bones and 1 pair of AX.

Last edited: