• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
”Telepathic” is the best term to describe these skis!!
Another question:
The next time I have enough extra cash to spare (I put myself on a tight budget this year), would the SC be too much overlap as an addition? It would be fun to have a bonafide slalom-y ski with a more aggressive tune on it.

It gets hard to decide. Each Laser is very different, but if you can only have 2 of them, it might be best to differentiate more. The SC and AX are very different, but you might also consider the CX or the SL which are even more varied in their behavior.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
So here is my one and only complaint about Stöckli's. They have these amazing kids/jr skis and it is near impossible to find them anywhere in the Seattle area or online. My son really wants a pair of the SR Team skis, but we have had to go with alternates for the last two seasons since they are near impossible to find ... hint hint @LindseyB

Sorry, the only shops I know of that carry the SR team is Gorsuch and sometimes Powder7. I think both will ship with a phone call order.

For carving skis, you could special order the kids "Swiss Made" Slalom and GS skis from Jans. They will ship to you as well.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
It gets hard to decide. Each Laser is very different, but if you can only have 2 of them, it might be best to differentiate more. The SC and AX are very different, but you might also consider the CX or the SL which are even more varied in their behavior.

Looks like we posted at about the same time and luckily made the same recommendations.

Although, @Wendy I would also tell you that if you happen upon a great deal on the Stockli Axis Pro (which is actually Stockli designed, but pressed by Head), that it's a great ski for lighter skiers and it has a really tight sidecut. I wanted a bit more "support" out of mine, so I replaced the stock Salomon setup and installed a Head WCR 14 plate, Tyrolia race bindings, and then I even added this special part... ;)

20201120_233441765_iOS (2).jpg

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got my Scale Deltas back, 177 with demo bindings, so HMU if anyone wants to try. (Within the CO-ish area, of course.)

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Just got my Scale Deltas back, 177 with demo bindings, so HMU if anyone wants to try. (Within the CO-ish area, of course.)

I love that ski. Amazing mid radius turn trainer and abnormally versatile. My brother hi-jacked it from my fleet as "payment for all those demoes I help ya with!".

If you'll notice, the AR design borrows heavily from the Delta.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rest assured you aren't crazy, I hear that all the time from people who think their Stöckli skis are somehow telepathic.

They are.
Stockli ski are not some inanimate objects like the other skis.
They are living, breathing beings that connect directly to the cerebral cortex of your brain, adapt to your style of skiing and with time make you a better skier.
It IS magic.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What type of skier is the CX designed for? I noticed it has no metal. Would that mean it doesn’t quite have the same baby sealskin smoothness of my AX and SR100 Motion? It’s side cut and narrow waist make it seem like a pretty cool ski.

Also, @Noodler I’m not lightweight. I’m 5’10” and 170 lbs, trying to take off the “Covid 15.“ :rolleyes:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What type of skier is the CX designed for? I noticed it has no metal. Would that mean it doesn’t quite have the same baby sealskin smoothness of my AX and SR100 Motion? It’s side cut and narrow waist make it seem like a pretty cool ski.

Also, @Noodler I’m not lightweight. I’m 5’10” and 170 lbs, trying to take off the “Covid 15.“ :rolleyes:

Where did you see that the CX has no metal? It has 2 sheets of titanal as is typical of most of the Laser line.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where did you see that the CX has no metal? It has 2 sheets of titanal as is typical of most of the Laser line.
I didn’t see that on the Stockli site; their site just listed “lightweight wood core.”
I saw it here on Powder7’s site:

Attachments

• 9D4D0073-4897-4FF1-A95B-A7CCC4D33189.jpeg
    9D4D0073-4897-4FF1-A95B-A7CCC4D33189.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 12

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I didn’t see that on the Stöckli site; their site just listed “lightweight wood core.”
I saw it here on Powder7’s site:

OK. Paging @LindseyB to the white courtesy phone...

Edit P.S. - The Stockli web site shows the "technology" of the new 2021 Laser CX. One them is the Turtle Shell which is the lengthwise curve cut in the Titanal layer. It would have to have metal to have the Turtle Shell.

1609788489504.png

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
OK. Paging @LindseyB to the white courtesy phone...

Edit P.S. - The Stöckli web site shows the "technology" of the new 2021 Laser CX. One them is the Turtle Shell which is the lengthwise curve cut in the Titanal layer. It would have to have metal to have the Turtle Shell.

View attachment 120010

THE CX as well as ALL Swiss Made production skis have 2 sheets of Titanal. I have seen many times where reviewers misunderstand something and it gets in print or on the internet.

For instance, there are ski reviews saying that the new SR88 has a lighter core than last years model. Not so. It is the same core as last year.

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I think it's the "lightweight wood core" comment that confuses people. I think the Edge 88 description says that too.

I've skied my Edges a few times now and absolutely love them. Very little soft snow, which I know they'll excel at, but even on hardpack they've got that great grip and Stockli feel.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
THE CX as well as ALL Swiss Made production skis have 2 sheets of Titanal. I have seen many times where reviewers misunderstand something and it gets in print or on the internet.

For instance, there are ski reviews saying that the new SR88 has a lighter core than last years model. Not so. It is the same core as last year.

Whew... all is right with the world again. I figured that there was no way Stockli would remove the metal from the CX, but when you see stuff posted on the Internet, you just have to know it's true... ;)

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

OK, I did think it was strange to have that ski with no metal.So knowing it DOES have metal makes way more sense.
It’s so weird that these internet retailers can’t get their descriptions correct.
The CX indeed looks like a fun ski.

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Can someone compare and contrast the FIS and non-FIS versions of the SL? Does the FIS SL use thin racing edges?

4 years ago Stockli stopped doing the really thin edges on the FIS skis in favor of a thicker edge with a longer life cycle. If someone really wants the faster thin edges they are more than welcome to rip them down and shave off those few hundreds of a second.

The SL and the FIS SL are slightly different in construction. The SL has VRT which is variable thickness of the titanal layers at the tip and tail for forgiveness.

The FIS has a little more snap and power it also has slightly tighter radius per size.

The SL will handle off piste better because it is a little more conforming.

To get a ski halfway between the SL and the FIS SL someone can put the WRT FIS binding on the SL.

Both are fun. If you will only see piste and would rather have a little extra power and grip on ice then you may prefer the FIS. If you would rather have a little more variety and forgiveness in your skiing you would probably favor the regular SL.

Last edited:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whew... all is right with the world again. I figured that there was no way Stöckli would remove the metal from the CX, but when you see stuff posted on the Internet, you just have to know it's true... ;)
I talked to a guy on the CX today. Nice looking ski. He was ripping pretty good on them. Looks like a great option should I decide to go with a sub-70 ski next season. The lighter weight is appealing to me. Trouble is, then I’d have trouble deciding between taking out the AX and CX! There’s a lot of people on my home hill on Stocklis this year....AX, AR, SC, SL, CX, MX. Their smooth performance and edge hold makes them perfect for the very imperfect (re: death cookies, blue ice, frozen crud) I often encounter.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I talked to a guy on the CX today. Nice looking ski. He was ripping pretty good on them. Looks like a great option should I decide to go with a sub-70 ski next season. The lighter weight is appealing to me. Trouble is, then I’d have trouble deciding between taking out the AX and CX! There’s a lot of people on my home hill on Stöcklis this year....AX, AR, SC, SL, CX.

It sounds like the redesigned CX for 2021 gets it back to more where it was when I loved it. I have the 2014 version and did have the 2019 for one season before I sold it. The 2014 is much more "accessible" ski while the 2019 was much more of a beast. If they have backed off a bit for the new model then that would be a good thing IMO, but hopefully not backed off so much that it ventures into the same territory as the SC. I chose the CX over the SC over 5 years ago because it had a higher performance potential and a tighter sidecut. In comparing my CX to the AX, I don't see much overlap in my quiver slots. I don't take the AX out for groomer zoomin' even though it can competently handle that. The CX would make sense for you if you're looking for a quicker ski when there's no chance of finding soft snow anywhere on the mountain. The CX has the tightest sidecut in the Stockli line-up.

Sponsor