• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
Please help!
My quiver so far:
1) SR95 184cm (r19) = love them!!
2) FIS SX 185cm (r23) = still in my closet unused b/c I couldn't make it to Master's program last year due to Covid

Looking for #3 to fill the aggressive groomer / Nastar fun role.
Was considering:
a) Laser GS 175 (r17) verus 180 (r18) = not sure which would be better for Nastar gate spacing but heard they are not too much fun?
b) Atomic Redster G9 177 (r18) = definitely the bargain option here but would be nice to have an all Stockli quiver!
c) Laser SC 177cm (r16) with plate? would added stiffness be enough to sway them into Nastar winning territory?
d) WRT ST 180cm (r16)? Stockli says "100% slalom, 100% giant slalom" what can go wrong?
Also, I don't want this ski to be insanely tiring/brutal as I already have one of those ... would like to spend at least half the day on them.
Additional info = I am going on 50yo, 180ish lbs. 5'10". Zero formal race training but love to go fast!

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
I don't know if I'm ready to declare the Fischer The Curv CB the poor man's WRT ST, but it sure has a similar level of grip tenacity and power, but maybe not exactly the feel. I would need to ski them back-to-back to really nail down the differences. However, I am ready to call my "experiment" with the Fischer a success. Maybe someday I'll find a WRT ST I can acquire, but for now I am placated by The Curv CB. :)
I think there is a new "RC4 The Curve" coming out this year!

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
I bought the new Rossignol Master 2021 - 173 cm Radius 17. Great ski with fantastic grip on the hard (hard hard hard)
Now the problem is that I don't know whether to use the Wrt or the Master ! ! !
The Master is (a little) more “difficult . . .
How is the WRT for Nastar (not sure if they have that in Italy but it is like little league GS)?

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
I already did that in an earlier post.

Imagine AX on steroids. And I am talking Mr. Olympia level of steroids and you get the WRT ST.

Leaner, much stiffer, faster, grippier and MUCH more powerful.

I am in love. I love them so much that I am considering getting them in 172 for the next season.

Softer snow later in the day is no problem although if it gets real soft and real bumpy I change to SR95s. Lets say it is doable on WRT ST but not optimal. In real moguls I do not know, no experience there.
I am considering STs. I am 5'10" 180lbs ... 172 versus 180 ... Can I use them for baby GS course to have fun?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How is the WRT for Nastar (not sure if they have that in Italy but it is like little league GS)?
I'm pretty sure that "little league" is not a clarifying analogy for Europeans.

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
With some luck, as things go, come April 15 I will have clocked 52 days. More than double what I did last year and under the circumstances-a miracle. ;)
Out of 100-ish days long season, I reckon I did pretty good.

Of course, great many of these are 4-4,5 hours morning training sessions, but still, not bad.

One thing I notice about the 180 WRT ST and a reason why I went for 172 as well is they have the magical ability to somehow shrink the runs and make them shorter and at the same time make lift rides much longer than before. Strange, but this is how things are. So I thought perhaps more turns are needed to restore the runs back to the original length, we will see. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:
I still do not understand why you got the 172 in addition to 180? It is not like the radius of the 180cm is so big that you finish runs like a SG ski. How tall are you?
I am considering the WRT ST and am 5'10" and 180lbs.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I still do not understand why you got the 172 in addition to 180?

Because I like them so much?:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

The stated radius is a bit misleading. Yes, you can make the 180 turn at 16m but for this you have to really want it and put some efforts to bend them. At lower edge angles they will go in 19-20 m turns, no problems. Very versatile in that aspect.
For 172 i expect them to be a bit easier to follow the stated radius as they are on hand flex softer than 180 and they will be the most slalom-y and shortest ski in my quiver. Not gonna go any shorter than this any time soon.
We’ll see, come the new season I will know for sure.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
d) WRT ST 180cm (r16)? Stöckli says "100% slalom, 100% giant slalom" what can go wrong?

Absolutely nothing at all. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

As long as you don‘t expect them to perform as good as your SRs in soft snow that is…

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I have used all the on-piste sport carving skis you listed and have easily spent all day on each of them:

a) Laser GS 175 (r17) verus 180 (r18) = My 185 Laser GS is absolutely fun, easy to ski, and quite versatile--I like it more than my previous 182cm AX. At your size the 180 or 185 Laser GS would work fine. These are great med to long turn sport carvers and will work for Nastar.
b) Atomic Redster G9 177 (r18) = These will also work nicely for what you state you want to do
c) Laser SC 177cm (r16) with plate? Although a fun and versatile short to med turn sport carving ski, NOT a great choice for Nastar, even with a plate
d) WRT ST 180cm (r16)? At your size, I'd go with the 172. This is more of a short to med turn sport carver--somewhat like a Head e.Race Pro. It is not the best option for Nastar compared to choices a & b above.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Sun Valley

If you had said Brundage, I might consider 102. SV? would make me lean toward 95. Not just because of width, but because of the mountain as well as being complimentary to the AX you already have. If you feel in "the zone" on your AX, it will transfer very quickly to the 95.

DJD

Booting up
Skier
If you had said Brundage, I might consider 102. SV? would make me lean toward 95. Not just because of width, but because of the mountain as well as being complimentary to the AX you already have. If you feel in "the zone" on your AX, it will transfer very quickly to the 95.
Very helpful. Thanks much.

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
Does anyone know anything about 2022 Laser GS? Updates over 2021?

My quiver thus far:
1) SX WRT FIS 185
2) SR95 184
3) Head eRace Pro 175
4) ?????

Candidates for #4:
Laser GS 180
Rossignol Hero Master 179
Laser AX 182
Fischer RC4 The Curve 178

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Stormrider Motion 85s and 100s are aging out. Probably have a couple more seasons in them (hoping). Likely replacing the 85s with a pair of Stöckli Laser AR, another SR 85 found online or the SR 88. SR 100s will probably get replaced with the 102s. I just picked up a pair of SR 95s. Definitely have Stöckli'itis.
I’d look at the Nela 88 instead of the SR88, if you can’t find another SR85. There’s also a Nela 96.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I’d look at the Nela 88 instead of the SR88, if you can’t find another SR85. There’s also a Nela 96.

Why the Nela? I'm usually partial to men's or unisex skis. The motion 85 is a freak of nature for me because it's a ladies ski. I'd be looking for something in the 80s as the 90s underfoot area is well covered. I was reading that the Nela 88 was softer and I stopped right there.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why the Nela? I'm usually partial to men's or unisex skis. The motion 85 is a freak of nature for me because it's a ladies ski. I'd be looking for something in the 80s as the 90s underfoot area is well covered. I was reading that the Nela 88 was softer and I stopped right there.
Stockli isn’t typical in its design of women’s skis, IMO. One could argue their skis are “freaks of nature” compared to some others out there. Also, “Softer” is highly relative. @LindseyB could probably describe the Nela 88’s ride for you.

Sponsor