• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
As with WRT ST- these killed off all the other piste skis for me. Tried some after them-nothing comes close so why bother searching ? When someone creates something better-please, by all means.
Have watched as friends over the years have settled on one ski buying several copies. When a ski makes your heart skip a beat it is intoxicating. Commitment is 3 or more copies of the same ski.

James

Out There
Instructor
3B9B1D0E-1FBE-4AC4-847C-58C371E70726.jpeg

John Y

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Want to get new skis for my 2 sons, 5’9 140lbs and 5’11 160. We ski out west mostly Mammoth. They ski 80/20 on/off piste. They are advanced intermediate skiers. Debating between AR, AX and SR 88 or any other recommendations. What length ski? If AR, thinking 168cm and 175cm. Which bindings would you recommend? Is there any changes to AR and AX 20/21 model compare to 21/22 model besides cosmetics? TIA

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
never heard of bogner, Kjus is pretty big here though.

WRT-ST 180's are raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare @Tony Storaro , I've got autosearch auto on them, but not paying retail.

Here are some 180's but stupidly expensive.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Want to get new skis for my 2 sons, 5’9 140lbs and 5’11 160. We ski out west mostly Mammoth. They ski 80/20 on/off piste. They are advanced intermediate skiers. Debating between AR, AX and SR 88 or any other recommendations. What length ski? If AR, thinking 168cm and 175cm. Which bindings would you recommend? Is there any changes to AR and AX 20/21 model compare to 21/22 model besides cosmetics? TIA
John - here's my 2 cents on your question. First off, I am very familar with Mammoth having grown up skiing there; now I pretty much only ski Tahoe (Alpine Meadows & Pali (squaw)). I own the AR, have skied with AX quite a bit, and only skied the SR88 once.

Between the 3, it's a sliding scale tradeoff between on and off piste. The SR88 is the best "all around" and is likely a tad more forgiving....a great generalist that competes with a slew of good all (front side) mountain skis on the market (ex. Enforcer 88, Brahma) albeit with the classic Stockli feel and look; for those off piste moments this ski will do well and still can carve up the mountain. Between the AR vs AX, I spent nearly a year debating the virtues of these two skis; both fantastic and both faster more carving oriented vs the SR. The AR is faster, more demanding (ie, requires a higher skill to get the best out of the ski but you feel that good energy back too), and IMO it slices through chop and soft off piste areas with more leadership. BUT, because it's stiffer, the AR will be inferior to the AX in tight trees or bumps. The AX has a big following for a reason, it's more approachable yet still very fast and carves amazing when pushed. Last year to this year, the skis are the same other than cosmetic.

I'm an advanced, slightly aggressive skier. I demo'ed the 175 in all skis. I'm 5'7, 140lbs, and after long debate ended up staying conservative on sizing and own the AR in 168; however, I would have very likely done 175 in AX (since I thought this ski was less demanding and I would only use it on piste - I have other skis for off piste - my AR is my no speed limit hot lap ski and it really excels at that!!).

It sounds like your sons will be best on one of each 168 for the lighter kid and 175 for the bigger. For On Piste nothing will be more rewarding in Mammoth than either the AR or AX; but indeed, it could be that an SR could be a better fit IF, big IF, you all end up off piste (or if they do more and more with friends, etc). There are alot of good skis on the market. It's all personal preference. If I only had one SKi, while I LOVE my AR, it just doesn't work as well as my proper all mountain skis in powder, tight hop turn situations, or when in the air (all of which I strive to find); but I LOVE the AR for carving the corduroy. I would not compare the SR to the AR/AX; rather decide which ski group is a better fit then go down that path; and if they don't love to push the ski hard to feel it flex and feel your quads hurt, than perhaps the AX is a better fit. Again, I love my AR, but I am aggressive and love to push it. Good luck

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The price is in CDN $$, US $ price is $1630, so essentially MSRP similar to what you will find in most Stöckli dealers right now.

Yeah, I was aware of that but still stupidly expensive. I think I have a $1,500 threshold for "stupidly" ogsmile

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I was aware of that but still stupidly expensive. I think I have a $1,500 threshold for "stupidly" ogsmile
Buy the skis flat under $1500, then buy bindings a little bit later as a separate purchase.... et voila! You've stayed under your limit.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The price is in CDN $$, US $ price is $1630, so essentially MSRP similar to what you will find in most Stöckli dealers right now.

Not 180 tho. I see them on only one Italian web-shop but the guys there decided 1800 EUR is justified price... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

John Y

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
John - here's my 2 cents on your question. First off, I am very familar with Mammoth having grown up skiing there; now I pretty much only ski Tahoe (Alpine Meadows & Pali (squaw)). I own the AR, have skied with AX quite a bit, and only skied the SR88 once.

Between the 3, it's a sliding scale tradeoff between on and off piste. The SR88 is the best "all around" and is likely a tad more forgiving....a great generalist that competes with a slew of good all (front side) mountain skis on the market (ex. Enforcer 88, Brahma) albeit with the classic Stöckli feel and look; for those off piste moments this ski will do well and still can carve up the mountain. Between the AR vs AX, I spent nearly a year debating the virtues of these two skis; both fantastic and both faster more carving oriented vs the SR. The AR is faster, more demanding (ie, requires a higher skill to get the best out of the ski but you feel that good energy back too), and IMO it slices through chop and soft off piste areas with more leadership. BUT, because it's stiffer, the AR will be inferior to the AX in tight trees or bumps. The AX has a big following for a reason, it's more approachable yet still very fast and carves amazing when pushed. Last year to this year, the skis are the same other than cosmetic.

I'm an advanced, slightly aggressive skier. I demo'ed the 175 in all skis. I'm 5'7, 140lbs, and after long debate ended up staying conservative on sizing and own the AR in 168; however, I would have very likely done 175 in AX (since I thought this ski was less demanding and I would only use it on piste - I have other skis for off piste - my AR is my no speed limit hot lap ski and it really excels at that!!).

It sounds like your sons will be best on one of each 168 for the lighter kid and 175 for the bigger. For On Piste nothing will be more rewarding in Mammoth than either the AR or AX; but indeed, it could be that an SR could be a better fit IF, big IF, you all end up off piste (or if they do more and more with friends, etc). There are alot of good skis on the market. It's all personal preference. If I only had one SKi, while I LOVE my AR, it just doesn't work as well as my proper all mountain skis in powder, tight hop turn situations, or when in the air (all of which I strive to find); but I LOVE the AR for carving the corduroy. I would not compare the SR to the AR/AX; rather decide which ski group is a better fit then go down that path; and if they don't love to push the ski hard to feel it flex and feel your quads hurt, than perhaps the AX is a better fit. Again, I love my AR, but I am aggressive and love to push it. Good luck
TahoeWarrior- Thank you for your very informative reply! Narrowing down between AR and AX. From other reviews, thought AR was more forgiving. My older son(5’9 140) is a little more mellow with his skiing, younger son skateboarder (5’11 160) is more aggressive and likes to ski faster. Maybe AX 168 for older and AR 175 for my younger son.

They both ski a little too upright and not lean forward enough. Do you recommend mounting binding forward of line so they can ski more on forward part of ski to help initiate turns and ski better? Bindings that’s best for their size and ski to maximize performance and safety?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you need another adult son. :wave: Clearly the ones you have are not enough of a drain on your bank account.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So my point is, when someone says to me ( A Barbour sales man I am quoting) thank you for your business Mr. Storaro, see you again in 25 years for a new Beaufort jacket)… what can I say…I am totally sold.:ogbiggrin:
Love this. I can't decide if you or John Y is my long lost patron. Maybe he can buy the skis and you can buy the outerwear.

On the other hand I'll bet Prince Andrew has his Barbour pieces for, you know, walking the moorlands, so... nevermind.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the other hand I'll bet Prince Andrew has his Barbour pieces for, you know, walking the moorlands, so... nevermind.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Barbour jackets (the classic ones) are relatively inexpensive, or indeed-dirt cheap compared to our modern Gore Tex ski clothing. You can have a Beaufort for about 350 euros and it will be alive and kicking loooooong after all the fancy, flashy ski jackets have been deposed to the local cemetery.
On the flip-side, if you are seen in one of them in London, you will surely be asked about this year's crop in Midlands, was the pheasant shoot good today and did the salmon bite.:ogbiggrin: They have that unmistakable rural flair to them you know.

My biggest problem with them however is that they are not washable. And as I sweat a lot, I wear mine like 3 times a year, which means my grandkids will wear it too.

Anyway, they have nothing price-wise on...yes, sorry but here we go again-Stockli who decided that 1000 euros is a good price for a jacket. And as the damn thing has something unique to it, something that I haven't seen on other ski jackets-back pockets where I can keep my cat tracks (or an odd pheasant) and is also stretchy, I must admit I am looking more and more often at it.:(:(
Good thing is it is unavailable.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I think you just knocked the AX (only Stöckli I've skied) out of the position of my dream 1 ski-quiver "out west" ski. I like a good groomer ski (which the AX clearly was) but my heart lies off piste. The AX is too fast anyway, I have to wait too long for my wife to catch up :roflmao:
if you want a great deal on a pair of SR95s, you should reach out to @givethepigeye as he is selling a very lightly used pair of the current model. If you have the same BSL as him I would see what kind of deal he would cut you with the bindings included. Many shops are now sold out of the SR95 and we will not see new stock until next ski season.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@dovski - thanks. Actually cleaned them before I took pics this time. No worries on a redrill either my SR115s have a couple of sets of holes and Stockli uses good wood for their cores. Never spun one.

also thinking about selling those SR115s too.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
@dovski - thanks. Actually cleaned them before I took pics this time. No worries on a redrill either my SR115s have a couple of sets of holes and Stöckli uses good wood for their cores. Never spun one.

also thinking about selling those SR115s too.
Wow the SR115s are hard to find, you sure you want to do that? Personally I am waiting for @LindseyB to convince Stockli to build a new version of the SR115 :)

Sponsor

Staff online