• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The NEW 23/24 Dobermann RD boots

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Those look more upright. Available yet? Could put a call in…
There are some seed boots out there but I doubt any 22.5 until next season, it is probably the last molds produced.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There are some seed boots out there but I doubt any 22.5 until next season, it is probably the last molds produced.
I should start testing race boots for recreational skiers. :geek: :ogbiggrin:

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
26.5 in 300mm, small heel cup, and a bomb liner that sucks in the excess heel slop...sign me up! Ill cut some of the cuff if need be. Grinding the other spots is par for the course.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
FL is similar to that of the Atomic TI series, perhaps a little bit less.

I'm speaking from direct experience here: I have both the Atomic TI 130 and the 2023-24 Dobermann RD5 in the "stiff" flex, which is basically a 150+ flex. The XS is a 170, the M is a 130, and the Soft is a 115ish.

And like Phil says: on a cold day they're a PITA to put on and take off. But they're a wicked precise boot, truly awesome. The liner is truly great. It's a stellar redesign.

Detailed review to come in time, once I get more quality hours on the boots. First, tho, some teaser pix:

RD%vTI130.png

Dobermann RD5 on the left, TI 130 on the right. Note that I've since had the Dobies canted and plated (they are DIN out of the box which is extremely rare for a plug boot).

GPvRD5.png

Circa 1990-91 Grand Prix (which used the original 1970s era mold) on the left, Dobermann RD5 on the right (pre-canting/plating).

Simonsays

Booting up
Skier
FL is similar to that of the Atomic TI series, perhaps a little bit less.

I'm speaking from direct experience here: I have both the Atomic TI 130 and the 2023-24 Dobermann RD5 in the "stiff" flex, which is basically a 150+ flex. The XS is a 170, the M is a 130, and the Soft is a 115ish.

And like Phil says: on a cold day they're a PITA to put on and take off. But they're a wicked precise boot, truly awesome. The liner is truly great. It's a stellar redesign.

Detailed review to come in time, once I get more quality hours on the boots. First, tho, some teaser pix:

View attachment 195814

Dobermann RD5 on the left, TI 130 on the right. Note that I've since had the Dobies canted and plated (they are DIN out of the box which is extremely rare for a plug boot).

View attachment 195815

Circa 1990-91 Grand Prix (which used the original 1970s era mold) on the left, Dobermann RD5 on the right (pre-canting/plating).

Out of interest did you end up in the same shell size for the RD5s to the TIs. Wondering if that Dobermann reduction in 5mm BSL reflects a shortening of just the actual boot length or if you feel length felt more restricted internally

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Out of interest did you end up in the same shell size for the RD5s to the TIs. Wondering if that Dobermann reduction in 5mm BSL reflects a shortening of just the actual boot length or if you feel length felt more restricted internally

Same shell size, yes, and I don't feel like there is any loss of internal shell length. I think the 5mm difference is only in the toe and heel lugs.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any one have any more updates on the new Doberman? @Rudi Riet ? specifically thoughts on the forward lean compared to other race boots.... I do find it interesting that the WC boot 5 RD is $100 less than the M as listed in the ISSUU catalog?
And really no grinding? 5355 ready to click in for the World Cup version also?

There were a few years in the mid 2010s where the Tecnica plug was also black. Granted that was before they "rebranded" as Firebird.
But yeah, we'll probably see the Tecnica version soon.
Nope, no Tecnica models, they are only making the Firebird R - R130, R110 and R90 Short Cuff.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Any one have any more updates on the new Doberman? @Rudi Riet ? specifically thoughts on the forward lean compared to other race boots.... I do find it interesting that the WC boot 5 RD is $100 less than the M as listed in the ISSUU catalog?
And really no grinding? 5355 ready to click in for the World Cup version also?

As I said above: forward lean is slightly less than the Atomic TI series, definitely closer to that of the Lange RS (Z) plugs.

Note that my foot is really anomalous: super narrow forefoot (91mm) so it fits into most plugs without a lot of modification. I did need the back of the 5th metatarsal ground on both feet (more on the left than the right) and needed the medial ankle protuberance on both ankles punched (more so on the right foot), but the latter wasn't crucial to getting a great fit. The heel cup is solid and tight. The liner is truly lovely. I have custom footbeds that I use in both my Atomic TIs and my Dobies - not shocking.

And I'm confused about which boots you're talking about from the 23-24 catalog. Can you post a screenshot of the difference you see? I see now. The RD5 is the 93mm lasted version - the true plug. The RD is the 96mm lasted version that is based on a more "human shaped" last. It's no less of a boot, though it'll likely need less work on it to fit most people out of the box. Note that the RD (not the RD5) doesn't come in the XS flex but does come in more low cuff options, so... there you go.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The RD5 is the 93mm lasted version - the true plug. The RD is the 96mm lasted version that is based on a more "human shaped" last. It's no less of a boot, though it'll likely need less work on it to fit most people out of the box. Note that the RD (not the RD5) doesn't come in the XS flex but does come in more low cuff options, so... there you go.

Also: there is a lot more plastic in the RD5. Compare the individual boot weight of the Stiff flex in a size 26.5 model of each:

RD5: 2,450 grams
RD: 2,310 grams

The 93mm last version is meant to be worked on by a fitter - likely extensively. #PlugVsLast

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 93mm last version is meant to be worked on by a fitter - likely extensively
Do not expect an out of the box fit with the new Dobie, this boot needs to be fit out of the box.