• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Ocean

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
30 Oct 2022, view from Havana Grill, Rosemary Beach,FL.

20221030_141550.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Lot of action going on in this photo I took today (10 Nov 2022) at Indian River Inlet, DE, photo includes fishermen, surfers and one sea kayaker (catching a wave in center of photo). It was a beautiful 70 degree day at the shore.
indian river inlet Delaware 10 Nov 2022.jpg

Last edited:

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think that might be the second coolest statue I’ve ever seen Canuck , thanks for that !!

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
actually should read La Mer, and the song is stuck in my head.
couldn't get the edit feature to work once I'd posted, and I'm usually too lazy to check my spelling before hand.

One of a collection in Antibes France

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
actually should read La Mer, and the song is stuck in my head.
couldn't get the edit feature to work once I'd posted, and I'm usually too lazy to check my spelling before hand.

One of a collection in Antibes France
Is that "Somewhere" beyond the sea?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes Beyond the Sea is a later English version of the song La Mer.
Lyrics aren't very similar but both are good.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Yes Beyond the Sea is a later English version of the song La Mer.
Lyrics aren't very similar but both are good.
La Mer is also a very well known symphonic piece by Claude Debussy:

"La Mer" L.109, (The Sea), is an orchestral composition by Claude Debussy. It was started in 1903 in France and completed in 1905 on the English Channel coast in Eastbourne. The premiere was given by the Lamoureux Orchestra under the direction of Camille Chevillard on 15 October 1905 in Paris. "La Mer" is a composition of huge suggestion and subtlety in its rich depiction of the ocean, which combines unusual orchestration with daring impressionistic harmonies. The work has proven very influential, and its use of sensuous tonal colours and its orchestration methods have influenced many later film scores. While the structure of the work places it outside of both absolute music and programme music as those terms were understood in the early 20th century, it obviously uses descriptive devices to suggest wind, waves and the ambience of the sea. But structuring a piece around a nature subject without any literary or human element to it - neither people, nor mythology, nor ships are suggested in the piece - also was highly unusual at the time. Debussy called his work "three symphonic sketches," avoiding the loaded term symphony; yet the work is sometimes called a symphony; it consists of two powerful outer movements framing a lighter, faster piece which acts as a type of scherzo. "La Mer" is divided inot three movements: 1. "De l'aube à midi sur la mer" (from dawn to midday on the sea); 2. "Jeux de vagues" (Play of the Waves); 3. "Dialogue du vent et de la mer" (Dialogue of the wind and the sea). Conductor: Vladimir Ashkenazy & Cleveland Orchestra

Sponsor

Staff online