• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Me:- 57 years old, just retired from managing my company, an advanced intermediate. Been coming out to Summit County (from Alabama) for the last 6 years for 1-3 weeks every winter. This year, I decided I wanted to do something different. So, I'm hitting up places I've never been including some of the GEMS of Colorado.

Day 1 ((Monday, Jan 14) - Sat in dentist's chair for 2 1/2 hours getting a crown. Left Huntsville, AL at 11:30 am CDT driving my F150 4WD supercab and made it as far as a rest stop just before Salina, KS at 11:30 pm. Didn't feel like spending money on hotel to just be unconscious, so just wrapped myself up in the down sleeping bag and slept in the back seat. Got a GOOD 7 hours sleep.

Day 2 (Tuesday, Jan 15) - Made it to Silverthorne, CO about 3:00 pm and checked into Luxury Inn and Suites for $99 night. Nice hotel with great indoor hot tub and pool.

Day 3 (Wednesday, Jan 16) - Went to Ski Cooper just north of Leadville, CO. Nice local mountain with 2 non-high speed lifts. Terrain isn't steep, but 2-3 inches of soft on top made some great carving runs. This is a great place to learn or to have just an easy day. It was definitely uncrowded. But I don't think it's steep enough to enjoy good powder here. Was a good place to warm up for the trip though. Lift ticket was $56. Left Ski Cooper and went to Glenwood Springs and stayed the night at Glenwood Springs Cedar Lodge for $60. Was a nice clean room and the property had a great indoor hot tub and heated pool.

Day 4 - (Thursday, Jan 17) - Went to Sunlight Mountain just outside of Glenwood Springs. This place had awesome terrain for every ability level. There are no bowls, but 2000' vertical and NOBODY here (< 75 cars in the parking lot). Lots of groomed trails, bumps, and tree skiing. Was a bluebird day and views are amazing. Lift ticket is a reasonable $65. Was VERY pleased with this mountain and wondered why there aren't more people skiing here. This truly is a Colorado GEM. They boast that powder lasts for days as there are no crowds and this seems to be true. While skiing, found out that they have a bed and breakfast right at the base. Got a room for $80 night spur of the moment. Started snowing around 3:00 pm and they are expecting 6-12" by Friday afternoon.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 4 - (Thursday, Jan 17) - Went to Sunlight Mountain just outside of Glenwood Springs. This place had awesome terrain for every ability level. There are no bowls, but 2000' vertical and NOBODY here (< 75 cars in the parking lot). Lots of groomed trails, bumps, and tree skiing. Was a bluebird day and views are amazing. Lift ticket is a reasonable $65. Was VERY pleased with this mountain and wondered why there aren't more people skiing here. This truly is a Colorado GEM. They boast that powder lasts for days as there are no crowds and this seems to be true. While skiing, found out that they have a bed and breakfast right at the base. Got a room for $80 night spur of the moment. Started snowing around 3:00 pm and they are expecting 6-12" by Friday afternoon.

Ssshhhhhhhhhhhhh

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Me:- 57 years old, just retired from managing my company, an advanced intermediate. Been coming out to Summit County (from Alabama) for the last 6 years for 1-3 weeks every winter. This year, I decided I wanted to do something different. So, I'm hitting up places I've never been including some of the GEMS of Colorado.

Day 1 ((Monday, Jan 14) - Sat in dentist's chair for 2 1/2 hours getting a crown. Left Huntsville, AL at 11:30 am CDT driving my F150 4WD supercab and made it as far as a rest stop just before Salina, KS at 11:30 pm. Didn't feel like spending money on hotel to just be unconscious, so just wrapped myself up in the down sleeping bag and slept in the back seat. Got a GOOD 7 hours sleep.

Day 2 (Tuesday, Jan 15) - Made it to Silverthorne, CO about 3:00 pm and checked into Luxury Inn and Suites for $99 night. Nice hotel with great indoor hot tub and pool.

Day 3 (Wednesday, Jan 16) - Went to Ski Cooper just north of Leadville, CO. Nice local mountain with 2 non-high speed lifts. Terrain isn't steep, but 2-3 inches of soft on top made some great carving runs. This is a great place to learn or to have just an easy day. It was definitely uncrowded. But I don't think it's steep enough to enjoy good powder here. Was a good place to warm up for the trip though. Lift ticket was $56. Left Ski Cooper and went to Glenwood Springs and stayed the night at Glenwood Springs Cedar Lodge for $60. Was a nice clean room and the property had a great indoor hot tub and heated pool.

Oh and if you liked Sunlight then you are going love Powderhorn but you will need to step up your tree skiing chops a little to get the full Monty. Have fun and post more!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I've wanted to buy the Gems card and check out the smaller places. Knew it offered BOGO, but didn't realize until just now that it offers 30% off a single ticket. Looking forward to your scouting report.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes! If I'm not mistaken that is the bridge outside Red Cliff, CO.

TS
B

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Continuation of Trip

Day 5 - (Friday, Jan 18) - Travel day. Woke up to powder at Sunlight, but a sore back. I struggle in powder and didn't want to chance hurting my back worse (I've been known to have back issues). So I skipped skiing. I packed light and had to get some laundry done, so I headed into Glenwood Springs and found a laundromat. Then hit the road out to Powderhorn. Pics along the way:

Heading out I-70 westbound not too far west of Glenwood Springs

Westbound I-70 heading West out of Glenwood Springs.JPG

Exited onto Hwy 65. This is a beautiful winding drive (below) between some pure rock canyons.

Hwy 65 on way to Powderhorn.2JPG.JPG

Picture of Powderhorn heading up mountain.

Powderhorn1.JPG

TS
B

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Day 6 - (January 19) - Ski day at Powderhorn. Stayed the night before at the motel right there on the mountain. So I was literally 20 yards from the Flat Top Flyer Lift.

Flat Top Flyer.JPG

Got a lift ticket for 20% off (because of the lodging) so it was around $50. Many locals said it was the most crowded day they've seen in over 3 years. Lift lines were 5 minutes, which apparently is "crowded" for Powderhorn. It was the Saturday after powder and was the MLK weekend. To me, it was no crowded than many other CO Summit County resorts on a weekday. So, I was fine with it. Went hard the whole day and enjoyed the groomers plus challenging myself on some bumps to the left of the Flat Top Lift (looking uphill). Was interesting that many of the glades were closed with signs that said "low snow". Although, it looked plenty deep to me. But I guess they know best. Pictures below:

Powderhorn Run.JPG

Views of the valley are awesome. Right after sunset.

MesaValley.JPG

Drove down to Mesa's little convenience store and took this picture of the moon over the mountain (mountains blurry).

moonlight.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online