• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The passing of a long time friend and member, Kneale Brownson

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know @Kneale Brownson was dealing with some health issues and he moved a few times to live at lower elevations, most recently back to Michigan to a much lower elevation and also close to his kids.
I just heard that he passed away on November 7th.

I skied with him at Boyne back in 2007 and he was so gracious.

Rest well my friend. You've inspired a lot of people in this world.
Please add and share pictures if you have.
70537730_1108966145969949_8672345694331207680_n.jpg
The below photo was one I took on the chair back in 2007
1928315_18135440017_8207_n.jpg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So sad. He was a fixture here and an ever presence of wisdom about ski technique. He will be missed.

James

Out There
Instructor
Very sad. Remember him in 2003 at Brighton.
Nice guy. Condolences to the family.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It made me tear up when I realized that his last post on the site was to share fall color pictures for me. He knew that I love living in the mountains, but also missed the fall colors in Michigan.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What sad news. RIP Kneale. You will be missed.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Condolences to his family

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family. He seemed like a fine person. I've been a lurker or a poster on SkiTalk and it's predecessors Pugski and Epicski for close to 20 years. Kneale's sympathetic and modest online voice was a presence all those years. It was my impression Kneale had his 50 year PSIA instructor pin/badge almost that entire time! I found this online obit page that might be his, but the age (62) seems too young unless he started instructing as a little kid?? https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/kneale-brownson-obituary?id=37891045

I never met Kneale in person, but during his recent time living in Utah (over by Heber City IIRC) he once suggested we try to get together to ski. It never came about for one reason or another. Too bad!

Here's a humorous closeup Kneale posted of himself on this website in 2019, modeling special sunwear after he'd had eye surgery:
1671376068369.png

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Condolences to his family, 62 is pretty young these days.

I recall Kneale's presence way back in the Epic days, so I'm suspecting he'd be pleased that many remember and appreciate his comments.

edit: I am wondering if Kneale's age was in error. still sad, but his profile on a woodworker's side indicates he was 82 in February:

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I seem to remember him saying he was in his seventies a few years ago.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only knew Kneale through Pug Ski and Ski Talk but as we were contemporaries as to age I valued his opinions and insights into our shared sport. I regret I never got to meet Kneale, let alone ski with him. Condolences to his family for their great loss. I believe the obit got his age wrong by about 20 years, he was at least 82 years old when he left this life.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember skiing with @Kneale Brownson many years ago at Breck up in Horseshoe Bowl and likely took some runs elsewhere with him too. He will be missed!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family. He seemed like a fine person. I've been a lurker or a poster on SkiTalk and it's predecessors Pugski and Epicski for close to 20 years. Kneale's sympathetic and modest online voice was a presence all those years. It was my impression Kneale had his 50 year PSIA instructor pin/badge almost that entire time! I found this online obit page that might be his, but the age (62) seems too young unless he started instructing as a little kid?? https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/kneale-brownson-obituary?id=37891045

I never met Kneale in person, but during his recent time living in Utah (over by Heber City IIRC) he once suggested we try to get together to ski. It never came about for one reason or another. Too bad!

Here's a humorous closeup Kneale posted of himself on this website in 2019, modeling special sunwear after he'd had eye surgery:
View attachment 186304

Condolences to his family, 62 is pretty young these days.

I recall Kneale's presence way back in the Epic days, so I'm suspecting he'd be pleased that many remember and appreciate his comments.

edit: I am wondering if Kneale's age was in error. still sad, but his profile on a woodworker's side indicates he was 82 in February:

Yes, that Obit from @Jim Kenney is not our Kneale. He was 82.
I've been chatting with his neice on line and asked her for a copy of a link to his obit.

Edit: She replied that there was no obituary, per Kneale's request.

Last edited:

Sponsor