• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordic The Rebirth of XC

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I happened to be at the Jackson (NH) touring center on Sunday. It was NENSA Women's Day. Reportedly there were 250 participants in clinics, lectures, etc. It certainly LOOKED like at least that many on the trails and in town. It was "get me out of here" crowded. The day before there had been a big classic race that apparently was also heavily attended. Parking was way down the road.

Meanwhile I saw something I'd never witnessed before - a full-on demo day. Rossignol, Fischer, and Salomon all had very well stocked tents. Madshus and Atomic may have been there too - I didn't look carefully. Even Kastle was there with a bunch of skis!

I was having a truly bad day or I definitely would have taken some pics and tried some skis. I just was not up to it. Kind of bummed I missed the opportunity.

Anyway, it was amazing to see that level of interest and participation.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The past few years have been instrumental in getting people out and active. I think the price of lift tickets and the crowds at the resorts are also part of the reason for the renewed interest in XC.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Honestly, with crowds and entitlement attitudes at alpine resorts I am more about skate skiing these days. A good day on skaters is easily as gratifying as a good day on alpine skis for me - and my puppy gets to go to our Nordic center.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The past few years have been instrumental in getting people out and active. I think the price of lift tickets and the crowds at the resorts are also part of the reason for the renewed interest in XC.
Yes, that and I suspect that shutdowns in spring 2020 drove people into buying XC skis and toodling on their own. Or, Gen X is just getting old.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just speaking for myself, I’ve started to get more into it because it’s more peaceful and restorative to xc ski on trails that are uncrowded even on weekends than lift served skiing at the resorts. It’s why I have converted to the church of Mad River Glen too, because of the lack of crowds on trail. Maybe it wouldn’t be the case if I lived in the west and skied on more open terrain with fewer people mushed on to the trails, idk.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No shortage around here. Not sure there ever was. If you want to ski Green Woodlands on a weekend, better get there early for parking.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Completely agree with all these comments and I’ll add that Nordic skiing is even more attractive in a low snow year like have been experiencing in Vermont. I’ve been taking a few hours of skate skiing over icy groomers the last week. And, less guilt with post-skiing beer is a bonus.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Completely agree with all these comments and I’ll add that Nordic skiing is even more attractive in a low snow year like have been experiencing in Vermont. I’ve been taking a few hours of skate skiing over icy groomers the last week. And, less guilt with post-skiing beer is a bonus.
You described 100% of my sentiment.

I'm so glad I took up skate skiing the year before the pandemic. It takes the nordic centers only 4" to roll the trail for skating. Big thaw followed by big freeze? Great skating platform!

Last edited:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Meanwhile I saw something I'd never witnessed before - a full-on demo day. Rossignol, Fischer, and Salomon all had very well stocked tents. Madshus and Atomic may have been there too - I didn't look carefully. Even Kastle was there with a bunch of skis!
And did you realize those same demo tents were at Great Glen the previous weekend? (Yes, I asked the rep, they were "all" going to the NENSA Women's Day)

or I definitely would have taken some pics and tried some skis.
You may have a bit of problem trying skis... it's for the women, I believe. If nothing else, you may have trouble finding gear in your size?

Reportedly there were 250 participants in clinics, lectures, etc. It certainly LOOKED like at least that many on the trails and in town.
The event was sold out like a month ahead. (I'm on the NENSA email list, receive all those "chitchat")

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, with crowds and entitlement attitudes at alpine resorts I am more about skate skiing these days. A good day on skaters is easily as gratifying as a good day on alpine skis for me - and my puppy gets to go to our Nordic center.
Yup, started XC about 4 years ago. There's a nice area just minutes from the house and we're really enjoying it. Skate about 5x per week. We alpine ski about 1x per week with a couple of week long trips to central BC. The conditioning from skating is really noticeable alpine skiing.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Somewhat sadly, I've moved in the other direction - from XC skiing to lift-served downhill skiing due to climate change. Few XC places have snowmaking, so I was having to travel too far to ski.

Good to hear that in snow country, XC is vibrant.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Somewhat sadly, I've moved in the other direction - from XC skiing to lift-served downhill skiing due to climate change. Few XC places have snowmaking, so I was having to travel too far to ski.
Yep! I moved away from XC skiing after moving to NYC. It's actually much faster to hop on a plane to the CO/UT than to drive up to VT. The big mountains won me over on lift-served downhill.

But now I've moved north of NYC, XC skiing is back in the cards.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Youth level Nordic skiing is very popular and thriving in our little corner of Southern VT. It doesn’t hurt that Bill Koch is a local and the kids get to see and train with current/past U.S. XC Team members and collegiate athletes. It’s inevitable that the parents pick it up once they see the enthusiasm from the kids.

i also appreciate all the family owned Nordic Ski Centers that work extra hard to provide us with all the skiing opportunities despite no snowmaking and our snow challenged winters. No one is getting rich at it and they certainly keep my kids (and me) entertained and out of trouble.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Also, XC is awesome

You described 100% of my sentiment.

I'm so glad I took up skate skiing the year before the pandemic. It takes the nordic centers only 4" to roll the trail for skating. Big thaw followed by big freeze? Great skating platform!
You know what you are talking about. Weather can seem awful out the door, but if that sequence hit a nearby place where you can XC ski, and there is still snow there, it can be among the best XC ski days you have that season.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

We have an amazing XC area on FS lands near us, all volunteer maintained. Skate and classic lanes. It sits on a 2,700 acre reservoir. The best part is that it is canine friendly. My pup gets a great workout in, and sees his friends.

In spring, when we have single digits nights and warm days, the entire surface of the lake is one perfectly groomed skating lane. It is super fast.

IMG_0329.jpeg

OnTheEdgeNotTheWedge

Booting up
Skier
I've only been on my XC's once this year but I am intending to change that now that days are getting longer again and I can squeeze in a few laps around work hours. As soon as this cough/cold is totally gone, I'm getting out there again to see if I can train my dog to "help."

I do think there is a resurgence. It's definitely still the sport for you if your problem with alpine skiing is that you wish you could get twice as sore for half as much money but I've been hearing from a lot more people giving it a try.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

We rode this wave on Mt. Hood from 85 when the volunteer place groomed sporadically 95 when we bought our first Pisten Bully until 2018 when you could no longer find a parking spot after 10 AM. Alpine cost "exploded" XC skiing in that area (plus the Portland metro area exploding).

It doesn’t hurt that Bill Koch

I still have a bunch of his "Koch XC" clothing. The stuff does not wear out. Ever.

It is super fast

Near-dangerously fast skate skiing is so fun if you've been at it awhile.

A guy the other week told me in the parking lot that he wished he had put on anti-wax.

I knew it would be a good day!

Sponsor