• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Seafood Thread

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Paella de Mariscos (Seafood Paella) ; I lived in Spain for many years and learned their secrets! PM me if you want the recipe.

Hey @Yo Momma ,

Finally got a chance to make some Seafood Paella. ( been a busy summer :geek: ) I used your tip of cover with dish cloth while it rests...Thanks! worked great! Mussels, scallops, lobster, and shrimp-with chorizo, and saffron of course. Those were some big mussels...delish.

1661297502744.png

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Hey @Yo Momma ,

Finally got a chance to make some Seafood Paella. ( been a busy summer :geek: ) I used your tip of cover with dish cloth while it rests...Thanks! worked great! Mussels, scallops, lobster, and shrimp-with chorizo, and saffron of course. Those were some big mussels...delish.

View attachment 176260
Isn't Chorizo a Spanish sausage? So it isn't 100% seafood it has some pork sausage in it. Still looks GREAT.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't Chorizo a Spanish sausage? So it isn't 100% seafood it has some pork sausage in it. Still looks GREAT.
It's one of the classic ingredients in the dish. Moreover it's an example of a widespread set of variants on these flavors and textures. For example, in Louisiana, Jambalaya with shrimp and Andouille is closely related.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It's one of the classic ingredients in the dish. Moreover it's an example of a widespread set of variants on these flavors and textures. For example, in Louisiana, Jambalaya with shrimp and Andouille is closely related.
If you are talking about a classic paella than yes the sausage is a important ingredient but you can't call it a seafood paella with the sausage.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seafood is one of the reasons I so hugely miss South Florida. I've spent uncountable hours tolling for dolphin in the Gulf Stream, spearing hog snapper and hooking grunts on the reefs, trapping blue crabs on the flats and gathering oysters from mangrove roots. The best lobster I've ever eaten was one I grabbed from under a big rock off of Key Largo; I hopped up on the rock, wrung the tail and ate it raw. *sigh* Good times.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
dang, somehow I missed this thread!!

Question for you chowder heads!

I made my first batch of smoked salmon chowder a couple weeks ago, followed it up yesterday with another batch. Im no potato expert but whatever was on the counter that first day is more to my liking than what i grabbed for my second batch. Im usually a eat the skin baked potato kinda guy, but im not liking the potato skin in my chowder.

so, should I peel’em and continue to use whatever species of potato shows up on my counter or should i be looking for a specific breed of potato?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I made my first batch of smoked salmon chowder a couple weeks ago, followed it up yesterday with another batch. Im no potato expert but whatever was on the counter that first day is more to my liking than what i grabbed for my second batch. Im usually a eat the skin baked potato kinda guy, but im not liking the potato skin in my chowder.

so, should I peel’em and continue to use whatever species of potato shows up on my counter or should i be looking for a specific breed of potato?
Basically you need to pay attention to the "waxy" types vs. the "mealy" types. Baking potatoes, such as Idaho russets, are mealy types. Many others, such as "new" red potatoes, are "waxy" types. Yukon Golds and their ilk are in between, but lean toward waxy.

Waxy types are good for holding their shape in chowder. Mealy types are better at falling apart and therefore thickening. Traditional New England style chowders favor waxy types as they have a thin broth with chunks of potato, and a sharp divide between the two. The skins on waxy potatos tend to "stay on" better because the potato flesh doesn't disintegrate out from under them. There is no right or wrong, but I, personally, don't go for russet potato skins in chowder, so if I use those I peel them first.

Short version, you need to figure out which type your first batch was and stick with that.

Edit: The fact that you're even paying attention means you're 90% of the way there.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Thanks @Tony S for the potato suggestions!

Some may appreciate some salmon ‘caviar’ I made a couple of nights ago. This fish didnt look like a female when I first plopped it on the cutting board and I was surprised to find the roe when I cut into it.

8EEAADF1-3979-40C1-B123-73DD1FD33756.jpeg

Attachments

• C11B3A84-534A-4386-A4EE-3B88A33356ED.jpeg
    C11B3A84-534A-4386-A4EE-3B88A33356ED.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 5
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Basically you need to pay attention to the "waxy" types vs. the "mealy" types. Baking potatoes, such as Idaho russets, are mealy types. Many others, such as "new" red potatoes, are "waxy" types. Yukon Golds and their ilk are in between, but lean toward waxy.

Waxy types are good for holding their shape in chowder. Mealy types are better at falling apart and therefore thickening. Traditional New England style chowders favor waxy types as they have a thin broth with chunks of potato, and a sharp divide between the two. The skins on waxy potatos tend to "stay on" better because the potato flesh doesn't disintegrate out from under them. There is no right or wrong, but I, personally, don't go for russet potato skins in chowder, so if I use those I peel them first.

Short version, you need to figure out which type your first batch was and stick with that.

Edit: The fact that you're even paying attention means you're 90% of the way there.
I'm here to post in this very important thread that if you ever manage to get real Kennebec potatoes from a farmers' market, those are the pot of gold at the end of the chowder (and Thanksgiving mashed potatoes) rainbow. Get down on your knees and thank your deity of choice for your good fortune.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Tony S for the potato suggestions!

Some may appreciate some salmon ‘caviar’ I made a couple of nights ago. This fish didnt look like a female when I first plopped it on the cutting board and I was surprised to find the roe when I cut into it.

View attachment 180819
What is that "plate"? Is it a lens cap from a Leica camera?

Sponsor